Former No. 2 overall pick Jason Smith trying to make it with Saints (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Former No. 2 overall pick Jason Smith trying to make it with Saints

By Ted Lewis - Advocate sportswriter

If it weren’t for JaMarcus Russell, Jason Smith might be in contention for biggest draft bust of the 21st century.

The No. 2 overall pick in 2009 by the St. Louis Rams, Smith, a tackle from Baylor, looked to be the kind of player who fills a team’s needs at the position for a decade.

Instead, just four years later, Smith finds himself battling for his career, contending with Charles Brown and rookie Terron Armstrong at left tackle with the Saints.

Multiple concussions that caused him to miss 19 games certainly didn’t help Smith’s progress, but he was generally regarded as ill-prepared to handle the position on the NLF level. In August, the Rams traded Smith to the New York Jets where he played a backup role.

The Saints signed him as unrestricted free agent in April.

More - Advocate

I don't expect much from him to be honest. But I hope I am wrong. 2nd overall pick has some people hoping he is more than he is, but that draft was weak and there were no clear cut "can't miss" prospects. He should have never gone 2nd, as Russell should have never gone 1st.

One thing I will say is we do not ask as much out of our tackles as most teams. He may be able to contribute here. But I am not expecting anything other than maybe a serviceable tackle who is gonna need help from TE's and RB's.

It's an uphill battle for Smith. I believe he was a 6th lineman for the Jets run heavy offense. I have a hard time seeing him making it here as the 6th lineman used in cetain packages, Olsen had significant snaps there last year and Armstead has the athleticism that makes you want him on the field.

It essentially boils down to Jones being his main competitor. I'm not sure the Saints will keep both.

A lot of times, players like this do well when they have something to prove. Lets hope that is the case.

I hate to say it again... but wasn't the Jets O-line pretty bad last year? And he wasn't even a starter for them?

I know this has been debated ever since we signed him... I hope a light switch goes off for him being with a high level coaching organization for once.

bergeaux said:
I hate to say it again... but wasn't the Jets O-line pretty bad last year? And he wasn't even a starter for them?

I know this has been debated ever since we signed him... I hope a light switch goes off for him being with a high level coaching organization for once.

To answer yor stayement hey were ranked 3rd best in the NFL last year not sure where you are getting "one of the worst" from. Next time try doing some research (it only took about 30 seconds to find out).

"3. New York Jets (12)

PB – 7th, RB – 3rd, PEN – 3rd

Stud: There were plenty of contenders here, but given some of the guys he kept in check, credit to D’Brickashaw Ferguson (+23.5) for a fine year.

Dud: The run blocking of Matt Slauson (+2.5) left a lot to be desired.

Summary: Everybody wants to poke fun at the Jets, and for some reason the offensive line got caught in the crossfire. It wasn’t quite its dominant self in the early weeks of the season, but they finishing playing as well as any team. Nick Mangold and Brandon Moore played angry, while Austin Howard found his feet as an NFL tackle. Still, a line can only do so much to put skill players in position to do good things, and in that regard the Jets are sorely lacking."

Smith graded out last year at a +6.4 while Bushrod had a +1.5, Brown a +1 and Steif had a -1.3.

Also those 3 bad years he had to start off his career with guess who his head coach was...... Steve Spagnoulo.

He showed a noticeable improvement last year and I don't see that progress stopping given the situation here he should really start to blossom.

Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android

One thing I will say is we do not ask as much out of our tackles as most teams. He (Jason Smith) may be able to contribute here. But I am not expecting anything other than maybe a serviceable tackle who is gonna need help from TE's and RB's.

In other words, basically another Jermon Bushrod.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom