Former Saint Josh Hill retired (1 Viewer)

Josh Hill was suppose to be that guy who takes over for Jimmy Graham when he left. I remembered Coach Payton having so much confidence in Josh when Jimmy left. Of course Josh wasn't as athletic as Jimmy was. The coach was a little off on his assessment there. Josh was a good catching tight end. He wasn't a blocker in the beginning. They tried their best to give him the ball but as the years went on, his role had changed. Also Payton mindset had changed too. It used to be the tight end being very important in the passing games. Then it became apparent that no matter what tight end we brought in, he must know how to block and occasionally catch passes. Sometimes I don't think it is the fault of the tight ends but the change in philosophy.

But really I am glad Josh retired. He suffered so much concussion that his health was not worth another year. I am hoping the team gives him a coaching job.

Josh Hill was suppose to be that guy who takes over for Jimmy Graham when he left. I remembered Coach Payton having so much confidence in Josh when Jimmy left. Of course Josh wasn't as athletic as Jimmy was. The coach was a little off on his assessment there. Josh was a good catching tight end. He wasn't a blocker in the beginning. They tried their best to give him the ball but as the years went on, his role had changed. Also Payton mindset had changed too. It used to be the tight end being very important in the passing games. Then it became apparent that no matter what tight end we brought in, he must know how to block and occasionally catch passes. Sometimes I don't think it is the fault of the tight ends but the change in philosophy.

But really I am glad Josh retired. He suffered so much concussion that his health was not worth another year. I am hoping the team gives him a coaching job.
I do remember Hill coming in to pick up Graham's slack when he left. He had interesting measureables as a rookie and I remember him making a few plays in preseason. But yes you're right, our philosophy did change and we ended up leaning on Benjamin Watson as the lead role. But much love to Hill because he became a staple in the offense as a blocker, and has earned the nickname "Playoff Josh Hill".

I do remember Hill coming in to pick up Graham's slack when he left. He had interesting measureables as a rookie and I remember him making a few plays in preseason. But yes you're right, our philosophy did change and we ended up leaning on Benjamin Watson as the lead role. But much love to Hill because he became a staple in the offense as a blocker, and has earned the nickname "Playoff Josh Hill".
7 years with the same team is a great accomplishment. Not many players stay with the same team for more than 5 years. It is a testament to how the coach value him.

Highly underrated, but appreciated by many, at least.

Unfortunately the biggest play I will remember involving him was the intentional targeting blow to the head that concussed him and caused him to fumble against the Rams in that infamous NFCG game. Also an uncalled, game changing call in the first half.

Points were coming on that drive and Hill got knocked out of the offense, which also limited how the game plan could proceed the rest of the way...

Unfortunately the biggest play I will remember involving him was the intentional targeting blow to the head that concussed him and caused him to fumble against the Rams in that infamous NFCG game. Also an uncalled, game changing call in the first half.

Points were coming on that drive and Hill got knocked out of the offense, which also limited how the game plan could proceed the rest of the way...
Other Hill plays that come to mind. The ill-fated TE reverse against the Broncos (who were blatantly offsides). The great block he put on the Redskins to let Kamara tie the game in that amazing comeback win. And I remember a game where he got called for a blind side block (personal foul) for standing his ground as a linebacker came flying at him.

I didn’t recall him fumbling but no doubt our run game was greatly affected after his injury in that game. The guy actually wasn’t a bad runner with the ball in his hands too.

I didn’t recall him fumbling but no doubt our run game was greatly affected after his injury in that game. The guy actually wasn’t a bad runner with the ball in his hands too.
Maybe he didn't fumble...maybe I am misremembering in my old age, but I know that was an intentional head shot and it achieved its objective and the pitiful refs did nothing.

Other Hill plays that come to mind. The ill-fated TE reverse against the Broncos (who were blatantly offsides). The great block he put on the Redskins to let Kamara tie the game in that amazing comeback win. And I remember a game where he got called for a blind side block (personal foul) for standing his ground as a linebacker came flying at him.
That call I always put on Payton.

That was a phase where we were soft up front and pitiful at running the ball in short yardage.

Wasn't it like 3rd and goal from the 1? Or just a 3rd and 1?

And you call a TE reverse...

Maybe he didn't fumble...maybe I am misremembering in my old age, but I know that was an intentional head shot and it achieved its objective and the pitiful refs did nothing.
I’m right there with you on that and no doubt an intentional head shot. Same LB Litteton tried the same thing hitting AK in that game and so did Donald.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom