Former Saints LB Manti Te'o Netflix Documentary is Out (1 Viewer)

If you watched the documentary it discusses how he was raised (very religious) and back then "catfishing" wasn't a thing.

The guy that catfished him went to such extremes as making an entire fake family. He also contacted friend of Teo's so they would confirm her existence.

Truly disgusting behavior.
And while Teo certainly could have gotten a bunch of girls on campus, if he was looking for a Polynesian Mormon that he could connect with, well…good luck finding that in South Bend.

I certainly feel bad for him.

This catfish story is tame compared to some other wild ones out there.

Didnt make it past the 1st episode.

After watching this I really wish this documentary had came out right after the sandal. This would of change the perception of Manti and his career would of had flourished. As a fan when he played for us, the incident did cross my mind a little. But overall I knew he was a good player that needed another chance. I was a fan of him. When he played, he was solid. I wonder why he was not given more opportunities with us. He wasn't the fastest but he had the drive.
I agree. A well done documentary that really opened my eyes to what really transpired back then. I remember when it was all the rage in the news that 1) he's unbelievably naïve or 2) he was somehow connected. You have to watch the story unfold and realize what culture he came from to know that he totally got hosed. His entire life was turned upside down, lost untold millions.....all for being a caring and genuine good dude. It's a heartbreaking story.

Glad I watched this. There was a lot I did not fully understand about this situation. I thought he was a lot more complicent with the whole thing.

Didn’t realize how much of a true victim he was. I really feel bad seeing the guy have such a decorated career only to see THIS as his legacy.

I mean, think about it - if “Lennay” hadn’t decided “Oh his grandma died and this seems like a good idea so I will act like I am dead too,” this story never even surfaces.

This catfish story is tame compared to some other wild ones out there.

Didnt make it past the 1st episode.
You’re looking at this situation with present day eyes. Back in 2009-11, catfishing was not a known practice. It grew to become a part of pop culture immediately after Te’O situation blew up and Nev’s documentary took off. Not sure how you made it through a full episode and still came away with the conclusion you have.

I felt bad for Te’O and how his innocence was used against him. In this evil world, it’s hard to find truly kind people with character. He got screwed and spit out by the very machine that placed him on a pedestal. It was painful to watch him relive those moments. For people who have wondered how he got taken for a ride for so long, I thought the doc did a superb job of explaining it.

If my TRUSTED relatives and former classmates co-signed on the identity of a person, then I’d absolutely believe the individual was legit. Not only that but seeing as though Catfishing wasn’t some known practice back then, I would’ve been naive to people’s duplicity, too. Who could imagine someone going to the lengths that demon did?

Ultimately, Manti seems truly at peace with where his life is. I wish he’d stayed healthy and could’ve played longer with the Saints. It seems to me the franchise and fanbase really left an indelible mark on him in a short time. I rarely see him in Chargers apparel on Instagram, but he still sports the Saints often. Maybe one day he might intern as a LBs assistant coach or something.

Nevertheless, I wish Te’O all of God’s unlimited blessings. I pray he thrives and lives a fulfilling life that lives him wanting for and regretful of nothing in his last days.

I didn’t realize he’s only 31. I know he’s not great, but I’m surprised he’s not on someone’s roster.

Guess he’s stuck in that gulf that these high salaries have created. As a veteran, either you’re paid huge money, or you’re expendable in favor of a cheap rookie contract these days.

The "fake girlfriend gate" incident has unfortunately ruined my thoughts on Manti Te'o. Anytime my friends and I go fishing, if anybody catches a catfish, someone will say "You got Manti Te'od today"...
You didn’t watch it either. If you don’t like Manti Te’O after hearing the truth about how it went down then I’d venture to say you’re heartless.

You didn’t watch it either. If you don’t like Manti Te’O after hearing the truth about how it went down then I’d venture to say you’re heartless.
It’s clear that you don’t know me at all, and I’m ok with that.

I know that Te’o was a great ND player in college, played well in the NFL, and I’m pretty sure he is a great guy which is why I said “that incident that happen for him was unfortunate”. Someone that was heartless would have NOT said that.

Let’s be real, they are many that immediately think about that incident when speaking of Te’o till this day. Moreover, my catfish comment was more of an old reference from back in the day when this all happened approximately 10 years ago…

Last edited:
It’s clear that you don’t know me at all, and I’m ok with that.

I know that Te’o was a great ND player in college, played well in the NFL, and I’m pretty sure he is a great guy which is why I said “that incident that happen for him was unfortunate”. Someone that was heartless would have NOT said that.

Let’s be real, they are many that immediately think about that incident when speaking of Te’o till this day. Moreover, my catfish comment was more of an old reference from back in the day when this all happened approximately 10 years ago…
I think you’re likely a perfectly decent guy

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom