Former Saints LB Manti Te'o Netflix Documentary is Out (2 Viewers)

I watched it last night. It was absolutely insane what that dude/chick/thing did to him, and the lengths he/she went to in order to trick this guy. With that being said, I don't see how anyone can say they have a "girlfriend" without ever laying eyes on them. Sure did mess with that dude's head though.
I think it actually just points to how trusting and trustworthy he is as a man. His only mistake was being a genuinely good guy.

You’re looking at this situation with present day eyes. Back in 2009-11, catfishing was not a known practice. It grew to become a part of pop culture immediately after Te’O situation blew up and Nev’s documentary took off. Not sure how you made it through a full episode and still came away with the conclusion you have.
Catfishing was indeed a thing before then going back to the Myspace days. Which included people committing suicide or being murdered over it.

There was a story from 2004 of a man that met someone on the internet, drove 4 hours to meet this woman, got surprised about the ex husband still in the house, then got turned away.

The guy then murdered them both, set the house on fire, then murdered the passerby still sitting in his car who called 911 for the burning house.

Has nothing to do with the being catfished itself. It's about the outcome, which requires no "lens". And the outcome of this Manti story, again, was tame compared to other stories out there.

Was pretty damn easy for me to come to that conclusion. Happy you enjoyed it though. Good for you.

Last edited:
It’s rare to come across a really distasteful person on this forum. This person is it.
I can't hit the like button enough for this post , Totally distastefull human being

I thought he came across very sympathetic. He was in culture shock and unhappy and stumbled across someone on the internet he connected with. I'm sure it was embarrassing enough to admit he had fallen for someone he'd never seen and lied to his parents about meeting her but he tried to vet her. He contacted friends and family that kinda knew her but had never hung out with her.

The person that did it to him is a monster. I could be sympathetic to a point and was trying to figure out how to break it off with Manti before it got bigger. However, the moment Manti's life started blowing up and the communication lessened the person sent him texts making him feel guilty about it. Then they faked a car accident and a cancer death. Manti had moved on and they could have gotten out of the drama but they needed it. Just a horrible human being that ruined Manti's life personally and professionally costing him integrity, millions of dollars and made him a laughing stock.

I did love Deadspin making ESPN look ridiculous

I wasn't interested in watching it, but some of the reviews on here changed my mind. I watched last night and glad I did. I have to admit, my last recollection of the event, and it was from top news stories and not diving into it, was that Manti fabricated this bizarre event and it blew up in his face. It didn't help that I loathe Notre Dame (the Dallas Cowboys of the NCAA) but I remember feeling bad for him and that the media was relentless.

Going into this documentary I was kinda expecting it to be some very late PR damage control on Manti's part. But the way he opened up and described exactly how he felt and what was said during the con was impressive and genuine. He relived that whole, very embarrassing event in the interview. No sugar coating it.

And those that take pleasure in him falling for it act as if it couldn't happen to them. I don't think the intent was to hook a celebrity and it was something that this lonely person was doing and it spun way out of control. And it developed into a masterful, well-orchestrated con. I couldn't figure out how the "verification" photo was achieved until they revealed it.

So yeah, I really feel for Manti. All of the shirt unfairly rolled downhill on top of him. And as DeadSpin pointed out, the media benefitted from the big story on both ends and never got reamed for not doing any journalistic investigating.

Last edited:
I just got around to watching it. In a way, I’m pleased to see how widely viewed the episode is as it means more people are being exposed to his story. He really comes across as an impressive individual. It’s impossible to have a modicum of humanity and to watch that without feeling tremendously sorry for him.

Naya on the other hand is a completely inconsiderate, sociopathic nutter who tries to frame their behaviour as the outcome of some journey of self-discovery when it was calculated, manipulative, exploitative, controlling and utterly selfish.

Naya on the other hand is a completely inconsiderate, sociopathic nutter who tries to frame their behaviour as the outcome of some journey of self-discovery when it was calculated, manipulative, exploitative, controlling and utterly selfish.
It is really concerning when someone does that much damage to another person and can still justify it in their own mind by playing the victim card. Unfortunately that is becoming more and more common in today’s society. No one is accountable. It’s like the world raised a whole generation of sociopaths.

I think social media has a lot to do with it. It’s easy to hurt someone from behind a screen, hide, and not feel anything. The sharing of memes is another example of this. People forget there is an actual person behind the whole joke.

Last edited:
I just watched it. I really think that this Roniah person needs to pay dearly! He/she/it ruined the life of Manti Teo. I feel like the pressure of college football and need to prove yourself daily really made him vunerable to situation. I mean think about it , the whole world of dating apps is based upon the same thing until you finally meet. I feel for Manti. I'd love to see the Saints or Brian Kelly at LSU bring him in as a coach or something so that he can at least be a great example to others today. I'm sure he'd be a great coach!

I agree that that person should pay. Ruined the guys reputation.

I also don’t understand why anyone would hit the crying laughing smiley face on this thread but I do t understand most people. I don’t find any of what happened funny.

I just watched it. I really think that this Roniah person needs to pay dearly! He/she/it ruined the life of Manti Teo. I feel like the pressure of college football and need to prove yourself daily really made him vunerable to situation. I mean think about it , the whole world of dating apps is based upon the same thing until you finally meet. I feel for Manti. I'd love to see the Saints or Brian Kelly at LSU bring him in as a coach or something so that he can at least be a great example to others today. I'm sure he'd be a great coach!
Those who bashed him and gave him crap over his situation are also complicit and should be ashamed.

I agree that that person should pay. Ruined the guys reputation.

I also don’t understand why anyone would hit the crying laughing smiley face on this thread but I do t understand most people. I don’t find any of what happened funny.
Some people just are just negative about everything in life and want others to be as miserable as they are. Those people show up often in these threads. It's sad really....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom