Former Saints LB Manti Te'o Netflix Documentary is Out (1 Viewer)

I watched it last night. It was outstanding and I really feel bad for him. I never thought he would be a pro bowl type LB in the NFL since he just wasn't athletic enough. However, that event ruined what would have probably been a much longer NFL career.

However, that event ruined what would have probably been a much longer NFL career.
I don’t think the event had any bearing on the length of his career. I think as the game has evolved, the kind of role that plays to his strengths is becoming marginalized & obsolete.

Teams want LBs who can stay on the field in Nickel. They want guys who not only take on Guards but who can also run with WRs.

31 year old run-stoppers who are only useful in playing the run are not high in demand.

Last edited:
I don’t think the event had any bearing on the length of his career. I think as the game has evolved, the kind of role that plays to his strengths is becoming marginalized & obsolete.

Teams want LBs who can stay on the field in Nickel. They want guys who not only take on Guards but who can also run with WRs.

31 year old run-stoppers who are only useful in playing the run not high in demand.
Did you watch the documentary? He hasn't played a meaningful snap since he was 28. When he was on the field in the NFL he said he couldn't feel his body and was constantly dealing with panic attacks and anxiety. I'd imagine that didn't help his play at all. The whole thing was way more forked up than I ever thought.

Did you watch the documentary? He hasn't played a meaningful snap since he was 28. When he was on the field in the NFL he said he couldn't feel his body and was constantly dealing with panic attacks and anxiety. I'd imagine that didn't help his play at all. The whole thing was way more forked up than I ever thought.
Just started episode 2.

Regardless of anxiety issues, I’m referring to his observable athletic traits. On that basis alone, his NFL role was [and would be] limited, even if his name was Joe Smith.

Any chance at a great career in the NFL was essentially over after all this went down. He just wasn't the same person.

Crazy thing is, when you read stories of people since that time getting catfished out of thousands upon thousands of dollars from "the loves of their life", him believing he had a g/f attending Stanford that died seems tame by comparison.

His #1 mistake was mentioning her death to media outlets without confirming some stuff. This was 2012, not 1972. Most people's obituaries can be Googled within a few days of their death.

Crazy thing is, when you read stories of people since that time getting catfished out of thousands upon thousands of dollars from "the loves of their life", him believing he had a g/f attending Stanford that died seems tame by comparison.

His #1 mistake was mentioning her death to media outlets without confirming some stuff. This was 2012, not 1972. Most people's obituaries can be Googled within a few days of their death.
That was a Tom Rinaldi tear jerker.

Finished it. FWIW, he did say that his anxiety issues were during his first 3 seasons with the Chargers. He played several seasons after that, so apparently he overcame it or found relief of some sort.

When he was with the Saints, I remember him being very consistent and effective for us in his role.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom