Former Saints on 2023 Pro Football HOF Ballot (2 Viewers)

Congrats to all the former Saints who were nominated. Jahri should make it and I’m hoping that Pat and La’Roi soon follow. What a tremendous honor for them all.

Swilling has the numbers and awards to get in. JT laid it out pretty good.
Thanks. I think Swilling has a better than 50/50 shot of getting in eventually. I sort of have a "history" of stirring things up. YEARS ago, I made MANY posts on ProFootballTalk.com (Florio's site) on the possible candidacy of Rickey Jackson to the Pro Football Hall of Fame with MANY statistics and facts. I mean, this went on for a couple of years and Florio put my posts up and there were many comments about Jackson. Jackson and Swilling are both phenomenal linebackers. Sam Mills got in and Swilling would make it 3/4 of the Dome Patrol.

Honestly, if he had played on one of the "favored" teams, Vaughan Johnson, RIP, would get some HOF consideration. He had 4 Pro Bowls, 1 first team AP All Pro and he had 1 Second Team AP All Pro. He also started his 9 year NFL career at the age of 24 after playing in the USFL for two years. He had 669 Tackles and 11 Forced Fumbles. Yeah...11 Forced Fumbles are pretty good. Vaughan Johnson hit like a truck.

I love these guys, but Joe Horn, Jake Delhomme, & Wesley Walls don't have a prayer of getting in. Not now, and not in 30 years.

Wait, Roddy White is on this list?

giphy.webp

Every member of the Dome Patrol should be in - As the best LB unit in the history of the NFL (that would include V Johnson and Swilling).. J Evans is also a no brainer.

Swilling has the numbers and awards to get in. JT laid it out pretty good.
He did. I honestly didn't realize Swilling had that high a sack total for his career. I just remember how he kind of disappeared during his time with Detroit. I know he did better after going to Oakland, but I don't recall him having any special seasons like he did for us, so I figured his time post-Saints would hurt his chances despite the Defensive Player of the Year for the Saints in 1991. However, when you look at the numbers and accomplishments over his career, it makes a good argument.
I'd love to see him in the Hall alongside Rickey, of course.

Jahri Evans should get in soon. To me he's a no brainer and should be a sure thing.

Pat Swilling should also get in, but he would have had a much better chance if he had played for one of the "chosen" franchises.

I think a case can be made for Swilling and that he has a shot to eventually get into the Hall of Fame. Swilling has 107.5 official sacks in his career, was a 5 time Pro Bowler, two First Team AP All Pro, and had one Defensive Player of the Year award. He also had 490 tackles and 6 INT's.

Here are some of the Hall of Fame players with fewer sacks and their tackle totals if available and some other stats and awards:

Charles Haley:
100.5 sacks, 503 tackles, 5 Pro Bowls, 2 First Team AP All Pro, 2 INT's, 3 Defensive Player of the Year Awards.

Andre Tippett:
100 sacks, 5 Pro Bowls, 2 First team AP All Pro, 1 INT, 1 Defensive Player of the Year Award.

(I am leaving out Warren Sapp, he played in the middle and was a different type of player in so many ways.)

Bryant Young: (He played inside and outside.)
89.5 sacks, 627 tackles, 4 Pro Bowls, 1 First Team AP All Pro, 0 INT's, 2 Defensive Player of the Year Awards.

Howie Long:
91.5 sacks, 8 Pro Bowls, 2 First Team AP All Pro, 2 Defensive Player of the Year Awards
It’s not about being on a “chosen” franchise. It’s about the Saints continuing to have success.
It’s not a coincidence that the year after XLIV, the Saints consistently got players into the Hall.

Other than Jahri, the only one I can make any case for is Lorenzo Neal. He was the blocking fullback for a number of star running backs through his career, and he played a long time for such a punishing position. Still, how many blocking fullbacks are in the Hall of Fame? Like, zero? So, no, he's not getting in, either. I'm just saying he's the only one I could even make a half-decent argument for.
Larry Csonka, was one hell of a FB back in an era(early-to-mid 19'70's) when the position was still widely used and kind of in vogue. He won two SB's with Miami Dolphins, and played in 3 consecutive ones, and enjoyed a long, fruitful career even after the WFL ended midseason in 1974, with the Giants and then finished his career with Shula's Dolphins again in 1980.

Jahri Evans should get in soon. To me he's a no brainer and should be a sure thing.

Pat Swilling should also get in, but he would have had a much better chance if he had played for one of the "chosen" franchises.

I think a case can be made for Swilling and that he has a shot to eventually get into the Hall of Fame. Swilling has 107.5 official sacks in his career, was a 5 time Pro Bowler, two First Team AP All Pro, and had one Defensive Player of the Year award. He also had 490 tackles and 6 INT's.

Here are some of the Hall of Fame players with fewer sacks and their tackle totals if available and some other stats and awards:

Charles Haley:
100.5 sacks, 503 tackles, 5 Pro Bowls, 2 First Team AP All Pro, 2 INT's, 3 Defensive Player of the Year Awards.

Andre Tippett:
100 sacks, 5 Pro Bowls, 2 First team AP All Pro, 1 INT, 1 Defensive Player of the Year Award.

(I am leaving out Warren Sapp, he played in the middle and was a different type of player in so many ways.)

Bryant Young: (He played inside and outside.)
89.5 sacks, 627 tackles, 4 Pro Bowls, 1 First Team AP All Pro, 0 INT's, 2 Defensive Player of the Year Awards.

Howie Long:
91.5 sacks, 8 Pro Bowls, 2 First Team AP All Pro, 2 Defensive Player of the Year Awards
Strange, odd thing about Howie Long being inducted into the HOF is that if you examine his career stats along with all of his Raiders defensive teammates from the early 80's to early 90's, Long didnt even have the most sacks, Greg Townsend did with 109.5 and he'll likely never even sniff Canton.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom