Former Saints running back describes Smith shooting (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
snews.gif

Full Story - Hearld-Review.com

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Former New Orleans Saints running back Pierre Thomas told a jury Wednesday that he thought a heated argument between retired Saints star Will Smith and an irate driver had cooled — but then he heard gunshots and turned to see his friend being gunned down.

"After the shooting stopped I stood there in shock. Telling myself that didn't happen," Thomas said, his voice shaking. "Telling myself he didn't just kill one of my friends, my former teammate."

Smith's killer was Cardell Hayes, 29, a former semi-pro football player and owner of a tow-truck business. At dispute in the second-degree murder trial is whether Hayes legitimately feared for his life when both men got out of their cars after a collision to confront each other on a street in New Orleans.

Hayes also wounded Smith's wife, Racquel, in the legs, before surrendering to police at the scene.

Thomas' testimony is the latest to bolster the prosecution's scenario of how the shooting unfolded: The Smiths were out for the evening with friends after a festival in the French Quarter. The group was traveling in three different vehicles when Smith's Mercedes SUV stopped short behind an orange Hummer.

By KEVIN McGILL Associated Press

Full Story - Hearld-Review.com

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom