Former T-P building may become "major amusement facility" -- Top Golf Rumors flying (1 Viewer)

Baton Rouge doesn't get tourists unless LSU is playing a SEC team, I don't see how they would choose Baton Rouge over New Orleans or Metry for a Top Golf location. People would travel to NOLA for Top Golf. I know people who go to Houston to play.

Bingo.

Sounds like a much better fit for Baton Rouge, or Covington, or Kennabrah-- or any other place where all the suburban golfers live... I'm a middle-aged white guy, and ive never understood the appeal of golf as a sport, or a lifestyle, or anything else... not saying it isnt legit, i just dont get it.. but whatever floats your boat.

middle-aged white guy here who would rather go to any kind of experimental art performance/exhibit than do anything suburban, but I like golf
haven't played any since i lost my sticks (handed down from my "big pop") in Katrina - but i always enjoyed golfing

this place, unfortunately, sounds like a nest of d-bags - give me a public course/range and i'm fine -the bells and whistles have precious little to do with actual golf

I don't understand the backlash over cultural issues. Isn't the property currently unused and a bit of an eyesore in a prime location or at least what ought to be a prime location? If the investors think it makes sense, go for it. I have zero interest on golf, but people ask me to play all the time. The project might do well.

In the meantime I'm still waiting for my Bass pro shop. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone is saying they'd prefer to be empty than for this to move in
Fine for it to move in - I think most were wondering out loud if this is the Dave & Busters discussion again

Also can't really say it's in a prime location (or even about to be) it is centrally located but pretty hard to access - the city can do a bit with changing one way streets, but it is tucked away
Abandoned bldgs around it, then a struggling neighborhood ( and I'm starting to get the sense that we've peaked local realestate-wise - not sure if that neighborhood is going to improve all that much

I don't think anyone is saying they'd prefer to be empty than for this to move in
Fine for it to move in - I think most were wondering out loud if this is the Dave & Busters discussion again

Also can't really say it's in a prime location (or even about to be) it is centrally located but pretty hard to access - the city can do a bit with changing one way streets, but it is tucked away
Abandoned bldgs around it, then a struggling neighborhood ( and I'm starting to get the sense that we've peaked local realestate-wise - not sure if that neighborhood is going to improve all that much

I know it's not prime right now. But it's central location ought to be prime. I just prefer to be more optimistic and visionary than let current dilapidated states influence our reception of development. Maybe that's naive though.

Also, did I miss something with Dave & Busters? What's wrong with the development other than it being a ****** magnet?

Perhaps the *****bags are on the wrong side of this argument. I get that New Orleans is an incredibly unique and special city, but damn if I aint tired of developmental ideas being shot down before they become more than rumor.

Perhaps the *****bags are on the wrong side of this argument. I get that New Orleans is an incredibly unique and special city, but damn if I aint tired of developmental ideas being shot down before they become more than rumor.

honestly, i'm still not seeing where people are saying "don't build it" (and i'm not sure if any of us in here have the power to shoot it down)
we're just discussing 2 curiosities
- this company in a city without a huge golf culture
- the odd location

but
let's also consider that the huge opportunity for the redevelopment of the downtown/fulton area was made possible because of the dozens and dozens of abandoned buildings from the last boom/bust cycle (and it's why that area was available for the World's Fair because of the boom/bust cycle before the last one)
and now that there are some indicators popping up that we might be cresting in terms of growth (and some new restaurants are already closing) added to ***** looking like he wants to re-install all the elements that led to the financial meltdown of the 2000s - you'll forgive me if i'm not picking up the pompoms for every out of town concern that snaps its suspenders at us

Hopefully it sticks around longer than some of the area's now-defunct amusement facilities. I'm lookin' at you, Celebration Station and Jazzland.

Hopefully it sticks around longer than some of the area's now-defunct amusement facilities. I'm lookin' at you, Celebration Station and Jazzland.

I can't speak for Top Golf (never been, but it sounds like it could appeal as more than a typical driving range), or Jazzland. I am writing specifically about Celebration Station. We have one where I live and it is one step above awful. How on earth they stay open amazes me. People spending lots of money to have their kids play overpriced amusement games chasing paper tickets. Be somewhat glad they died out in NO.

I don't understand the backlash over cultural issues. Isn't the property currently unused and a bit of an eyesore in a prime location or at least what ought to be a prime location? If the investors think it makes sense, go for it. I have zero interest on golf, but people ask me to play all the time. The project might do well.

In the meantime I'm still waiting for my Bass pro shop. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

What backlash? If they want to buy the property go for it. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem likely to be the kind of thing that will work in New Orleans because golf is dying, it doesn't fit what tourists come here to do, and it's not a location that is easy for locals, much less tourists to go to. All cultural references were simply in support of my opinion that this kind of thing is not likely to work in New Orleans.

And, sometimes the cause of the failure of some of these ventures are the restrictions on parking, advertising and access that the city tends to put on things like this and big box stores wanting to build in the City.

So, anyway, by all means, do something with the property. I just hope that whatever they do is successful and doesn't leave another abandoned building in the space.

I can see how in a city like Atalanta or Houston it would be big. Both have thriving economies and people with disposable incomes. It might even work somewhere in Metry. But, I don't see this as a fit for the area between Earhart and the Ponchtrain Expressway. Of course, I'm no developer and I have no market research so I could be wrong.

It's a terrible location for a Top Golf. Mandeville off of 1088 and I-12 would be perfect for Top Golf. It's also an area that can support the business as well.

It's a terrible location for a Top Golf. Mandeville off of 1088 and I-12 would be perfect for Top Golf. It's also an area that can support the business as well.

Or at 21 and I-12 where there was supposed to be that huge retail development that tanked in '08 and sits half-done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom