Former VP Walter Mondale Dead at 93 (1 Viewer)

The very first time i remember watching Presidential returns on Election Day, was when i was 10 yrs old in the year 1984 and i watched the coverage all night, i think it was Brokaw.. State after state after state kept rolling in for Reagan, and i thought to myself ‘I dont get the fuss, this isnt exciting at all’.. little did i know what the future would bring.. btw Mondale lost every state but his home (MN) to Reagan, the same Ronald Reagan who, if he were alive today, would be laughed out of the Republican Party for being ‘too moderate’ and would be called a ‘RINO’ by the MAGA lunatics... Anyone who has a problem with that can @ me on the Politics board

:no:

Was a good man. Always thought he put the country first
I think maybe his connection to Jimmy Carter's then-derided, perceived failed foreign policy decisions, especially the 1979-81 Iranian hostage crisis, many Americans, by the mid-80's, began to see the economy rapidly improving, the OPEC oil shocks after-effects of the mid-late 70's were beginning to fade away and consumer economy began to take off. They saw Mondale as a failed example of bloated big government, naive foreign policy that sadly, in the context of a nasty, cutthroat, vicious Cold War geopolitical rivalry between US and Soviet Union, had its limitations in terms of short-term effectiveness promoting human rights universally without distinctions or blowback from potential US allies who may have had less-than-democratic regimes or leaders.

Last edited:
I think maybe his connection to Jimmy Carter's then-derided, perceived failed foreign policy decisions, especially the 1979-81 Iranian hostage crisis, many Americans, by the mid-80's, began to see the economy rapidly improving, the OPEC oil shocks after-effects of the mid-late 70's were beginning to fade away and consumer economy began to take off. They saw Mondale as a failed example of bloated, naive foreign policy that sadly, in the context of a nasty, cutthroat, vicious Cold War geopolitical rivalry between US and Soviet Union, had its limitations in terms of short-term effectiveness promoting human rights universally without distinctions or blowback from potential US allies who may have had less-than-democratic regimes or leaders.
I agree with your post but I also think he chose the wrong VP. The country wasn’t close to being ready. I know he had no chance of beating Regan but she didn’t help- right wrong or indifferent

The very first time i remember watching Presidential returns on Election Day, was when i was 10 yrs old in the year 1984 and i watched the coverage all night, i think it was Brokaw.. State after state after state kept rolling in for Reagan, and i thought to myself ‘I dont get the fuss, this isnt exciting at all’.. little did i know what the future would bring.. btw Mondale lost every state but his home (MN) to Reagan, the same Ronald Reagan who, if he were alive today, would be laughed out of the Republican Party for being ‘too moderate’ and would be called a ‘RINO’ by the MAGA lunatics... Anyone who has a problem with that can @ me on the Politics board

Its also likely equally true that JFK, LBJ, hell even Jimmy Carter probably would be considered too conservative, or not reliable enough candidates to win national primary presidential races due to the party's gradual tilt to the left since the mid-late 60's and increasingly, more so over the past 30 years.

Its also likely equally true that JFK, LBJ, hell even Jimmy Carter probably would be considered too conservative, or not reliable enough candidates to win national primary presidential races due to the party's gradual tilt to the left since the mid-late 60's and increasingly, more so over the past 30 years.

Maybe, but Progressives dont hold nearly the reverence for Carter or LBJ as today’s modern Conservative holds for RWR... although most would agree that Carter has been a great EX-president... and i think many of both parties think that JFK was a good president, regardless of partisanry... Even though MAGA/Right Wingers LOVE them some Reagan, if , as i mentioned, he were alive- they’d have run him out of town long ago... oh sweet irony.

Progressives can also be very fickle, argumentative, Monty Python-esque Life of Brian self-parody types. A perpetually debating sub-sect, who often agree or disagree with one another or other factions because their not "progressive-minded enough". They'd also likely say FDR shouldn't be seen or viewed as a progressive Democrat and don't take into consideration the historical context and limitations FDR faced in winning over key Southern Democrats support for his New Deal programs even though that meant keeping quiet over anti-lynching, anti-discrimination bills Roosevelt privately supported but had to sideline due to political expediency.

LBJ might be hated for escalating a limited American military presence in Southeast Asia but many historians have argued he was one of the most liberal US Presidents of the 20th century. Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act, Truth and Lending Act, Medicare/Medicaid, Job Corps, War on Poverty, first real legislated attempts at gun-control legislation in 1968. All these landmark legislations were the result of Johnson's masterful domestic priorities.

Last edited:
I recall he was the Ambassador to Japan when I was stationed there. I never met him but he flew one our birds every once in a while. We also few commanders up to Tokyo to meet with him or his staff.

="https://www.youtube.com/embed/22Lr4fgSFAY
-

walter vs. ronald debate-------how i miss the days of civil politics.

Scoot on WWL told a great story about Reagan and Tip Oneil. Reagan invited him for dinner under one condition. They weren't going to discuss politics. Reagan wanted to know him as a man,and knew he had to work with him to get his policies passed. Those days are long gone.

If Regan were alive today there would be no Trump or MAGA. Regan could go toe to toe with Trump and embarrass him to death all while being a gentleman

If Regan were alive today there would be no Trump or MAGA. Regan could go toe to toe with Trump and embarrass him to death all while being a gentleman
So true. Trump wouldn't be a pimple on the Gipper's butt. I often wonder too if JFK, Jr. would have lived would the Democrats be still be the cess pool they are today. I like to think they'd be better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom