Found this cute little critter in our showroom today (1 Viewer)

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
I'm not going to pretend I don't know what kind of snake this is.

We have a serious problem on our hands. One of our employees stepped on this guy and luckily and realized it before stepping off. He put a dolly over the mid part of the body and lifted his foot straight up. Pic is while snake was still alive.

Attachments

• timber.jpg
    timber.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 96
He was only about 18" but Timber rattlesnakes are bad news. There isn't a very good antivenom available and while not typically the most aggressive snake they can be deadly.

What can I do besides move to the city? This is the third rattlesnake in 6 months we've killed in the showroom and shop. The 5th rattlesnake we've killed on the property in those 6 months.

Not a zoo. We work in a business that produces anti venom for timber rattlesnakes. At least that is what we should be doing. We sell garden art. Fountains, planters, tables, benches, statues, etc. The mice love to make homes out of the concrete planters and bowls. They also love to get under the pallets holding the concrete. It is a nice warm, dry place for them. Unfortunately the snakes follow them in.

We had a guy that did a lot of the weed eating last year that killed a bunch of the king snakes on the property he would find while weedeating despite begging him not to. Now we have an infestation of rattlesnakes. Most of them have been juveniles but the one we killed a couple weeks ago was a little over 4'.

I thought you were ordering Kings from somewhere?

Oh man. Can you buy kingsnakes anywhere to repopulate? (not sure if that's a ridiculous question or not)

We had a guy that did a lot of the weed eating last year that killed a bunch of the king snakes on the property he would find while weedeating despite begging him not to. Now we have an infestation of rattlesnakes. Most of them have been juveniles but the one we killed a couple weeks ago was a little over 4'.

Well there you go. That guy's an idiot. I wouldn't have him back. He royally screwed you.

I thought you were ordering Kings from somewhere?

Nope. They are expensive. $50 plus shipping on a snake that is basically a baby. Plus they are born and raised in captivity for generations and have a really high mortality rate when released.

It isn't really a logical solution. The guy I called said that at least 75% of them will be killed in the first year. So basically if I wanted 2 per acre I'd have to buy about 30 of them and 2 per acre is a very small amount for juvenile king snakes. I'd love to get a couple owls but they are illegal to own without a permit so I can't even find a place to buy them.

Peacocks are an option but an option that will scare customers and have a bit more flare for the liking. Plus they are extremely expensive and have open access to the road.

Get one or two of each of the following and your problem should go away...

coyote, fox, raccoon, opossum, domesticated and feral cat, eagle, hawk, owl and turkey.

Get one or two of each of the following and your problem should go away...

coyote, fox, raccoon, opossum, domesticated and feral cat, eagle, hawk, owl and turkey.

yes, just load these on your boat and wait for the flood to wash the snakes away.

bc, that sucks. Are there any other businesses near you? Garden store and such? Surely you are not the only one with this problem.

ricki-tikki-tavi1.jpg

Attachments

• kill-it-with-fire.jpg
    kill-it-with-fire.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 19
Can you exterminate the mice more cheaply than bringing in new predators? Seems like the rattlers will go elsewhere if there's nothing to eat on your property. Maybe a couple of good mousers?

yes, just load these on your boat and wait for the flood to wash the snakes away.

bc, that sucks. Are there any other businesses near you? Garden store and such? Surely you are not the only one with this problem.

Nope, we are an isolated business on a lot of property.

Here, this will give you an idea what we are dealing with.
<iframe width="562" height="314" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2029+utica+rd,+crystal+springs,+ms&amp;layer=c&amp;sll=32.007379,-90.376986&amp;cbp=13,278.45,,0,-0.35&amp;cbll=32.007411,-90.376523&amp;hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=2029+Utica+Rd,+Crystal+Springs,+Mississippi+39059&amp;t=h&amp;panoid=yB3_tP9DLbUj8Q30pEZXhA&amp;ll=31.996448,-90.371819&amp;spn=0.022856,0.048237&amp;z=14&amp;source=embed&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2029+utica+rd,+crystal+springs,+ms&amp;layer=c&amp;sll=32.007379,-90.376986&amp;cbp=13,278.45,,0,-0.35&amp;cbll=32.007411,-90.376523&amp;hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=2029+Utica+Rd,+Crystal+Springs,+Mississippi+39059&amp;t=h&amp;panoid=yB3_tP9DLbUj8Q30pEZXhA&amp;ll=31.996448,-90.371819&amp;spn=0.022856,0.048237&amp;z=14&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom