Four first round cornerbacks. (1 Viewer)

NewGold

Reaction score
In most the pre-combine mocks and rankings, there seems to be an almost concensus four first round cornerbacks. Jenkins, Talib, McKelvin and Rodgers-Cromartie. There does seem to be a pretty big variation in how those players are ranked, though. How would you rank them? And if you're feeling bold... why?

Scott Wright's Rankings
1. Leodis McKelvin
2. Mike Jenkins
3. Aqib Talib
4. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Mel Kiper's Rankings
1. Aqib Talib
2. Leodis McKelvin
3. Mike Jenkins

Colin Lindsay's Rankings
1. Mike Jenkins
2. Leodis McKelvin
3. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
4. Aqib Talib

Todd McShay's Rankings
1. Mike Jenkins
2. Aqib Talib
3. Leodis McKelvin

The Players.

Leodis McKelvin - Troy - 5'11 - 190lbs
PH2007091500115.jpg

Strengths: - Very fast, great technique, good in man coverage, dangerous return man
Weaknesses - Level of competition, zone instincts

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - Tennessee State - 6'1 - 183lbs
ly2xi4vy.jpg

Strengths: - Incredible athlete, great hands and ball skills, aggresive
Weaknesses - Level of competition, raw technique, very slender

Mike Jenkins - South Florida - 6'0 - 197lbs
369wgsl2.jpg

Strengths: - Excellent athlete, natural in man coverage, strong and physical
Weaknesses - Character concerns, ball skills

Aqib Talib- Kansas - 6'2 - 205lbs
3at.jpg

Strengths: - Good size, great hands and ball skills, good zone instincts
Weaknesses - Questionable speed and quickness, character concerns

My own rankings.
1. Leodis McKelvin - Most consistent coverman of the group, therefore most ready to play.
2. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - Raw but highest potential.
3. Mike Jenkins - Great potential but arrested in March of last year.
4. Aqib Talib - Better fit in a cover-2 scheme.

1. Leodis McKelvin- best man to man coverage, great speed and technique. I think he's the most nfl ready player and can make an immediate impact.
2. Mike Jenkins- great size and talent, also great man to man coverage
3. Aquib Talib- more zone coverage which makes me back away from us picking him, but still very talented and a playmaker. Speed issue maybe
4. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie- Yea great potential but very raw, will not make an immiadiate impact (more like a project). I didnt hear much about him until the senior bowl

How I rank them:
1. DRC - He will be the best CB in the draft class. I have followed his progress all year, and he is that good. After the combine, in which he will run a 4.30 or lower, and have at least a 42 inch vertical, he will be the consensus top CB
2. Leodis McKelvin - He is athletic enough to also put up a great combine. He has the best hands of the 4, and his punt returning abilities are better than anyone in this class. He is also very polished in man to man.
3. Mike Jenkins - In stature, he is the most gifted of these four. IMO a reach in the first half of the first. Doesn't have the awareness you'd look for, but definately an NFL starter. Technique is great, and he is very versatile, but also a natural at the position.
4. Aquib Talib - A great shutdown player in college. I think he has the frame to add 15 or so pounds. He is a great press corner, but his speed isn't much to be desired, most visible when up against deep threats, of whom the majority burnt him. Very polished technique and good hands, but wasn't thrown at much in college, which I see as a negative.

From the Saints perspective, at the minute, I see them having
1. McKelvin
2. Talib
3. Jenkins
4. DRC.

How I rank them:
1. DRC - He will be the best CB in the draft class. I have followed his progress all year, and he is that good. After the combine, in which he will run a 4.30 or lower, and have at least a 42 inch vertical, he will be the consensus top CB
2. Leodis McKelvin - He is athletic enough to also put up a great combine. He has the best hands of the 4, and his punt returning abilities are better than anyone in this class. He is also very polished in man to man.
3. Mike Jenkins - In stature, he is the most gifted of these four. IMO a reach in the first half of the first. Doesn't have the awareness you'd look for, but definately an NFL starter. Technique is great, and he is very versatile, but also a natural at the position.
4. Aquib Talib - A great shutdown player in college. I think he has the frame to add 15 or so pounds. He is a great press corner, but his speed isn't much to be desired, most visible when up against deep threats, of whom the majority burnt him. Very polished technique and good hands, but wasn't thrown at much in college, which I see as a negative.

From the Saints perspective, at the minute, I see them having
1. McKelvin
2. Talib
3. Jenkins
4. DRC.

If you score them based on their ranking (i.e.: giving points for ranking, and LOWEST total being the best), then you have:

#1: Jenkins (7 pts)
#2: McKelvin (8 pts)
#3: Talib (10 pts)
#4: DRC (16 pts)

This is by no means scientific. But based on this, it seems that DRC is not a blue-chipper, seeing he was ranked 4 of 4 by all evaluators. JMHO

:gosaints:

1. Mike Jenkins, he has all the tools and got it done in a major confrence.

2. DRC, the physical skills cannot be taught but he must develop as a CB.

3. Leodis McKelvin, he is a smooth athlete but he is not as fast as DRC or strong as Jenkins.

4. Aqib Talib, he is a slower cover 2 guy like Marlin Jackson.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom