Four Former Saints Are On The Preliminary List For The HOF (1 Viewer)

Sam Mills was a HoFer. He put up some great tackle numbers averaging over 100 tackles a year. He had a nose for the ball forcing and recovering more fumbles than Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher.

The rest were very good players deserving of the Saints HoF but they don't belong in Canton.

Sam Mill should get in, but probably won't because the folks that make the selections are biased jackholes....

Mills was every big as good as Mike Singletary...

The rest were very, very good players but not HOFers IMO...

the Art Monk situation is still a sore subject here in the DC area

When he retired he was the NFL career leader in most receiving categories

It's shameful that he had to wait as long as he did, he should have been first ballot

the Art Monk situation is still a sore subject here in the DC area

When he retired he was the NFL career leader in most receiving categories

It's shameful that he had to wait as long as he did, he should have been first ballot

It's things like this (and RJ taking so long to get in) that support my notion that the NFL HOF is kind of a joke....

It's always bothered me that carolina has a mills statue

Glover could have gotten in had he not been caught stealing a piece of cake that the United Way was going to be serving to homeless people.

Swilling should be considered for his post-NFL broadcast career. Exceptional.

I'm surprised to see Horn on the list. I do believe he has a better shot of getting in than any former Saint WR. But I definitely expected Jahri Evans to be on the list before him. I saw it as Mills, Swilling, Evans being the former Saints with the best shot of getting in the HOF. Glover is one I haven't thought about because he spent most of his career elsewhere.

Pat Swilling may not get in this year or next few years, but he will get in eventually. I think he may be inducted in the same year as Drew Breesā€™ first ballot year 2026.

Swilling has six 10+ sacks seasons (16+ twice), 100 sack club, DPOY, season sack leader, 4x All-Pro, and 5x Pro Bowl. He was an elite pass rusher during his time. And that resume helped made the Dome Patrol the best LB unit in NFL history. Thatā€™s a hall of famer.

Last edited:
Sam should get in imo. The most cerebral linebacker Iā€™ve ever seen, tenacious, always around the ball and making impact plays. All the more incredible to me with his size. And no, I donā€™t think his success was only because of the amazing talent around him, even tho he did have some studs on either side of him.

Grudge or no grudge.....Sam Mills is a Hall-of-Famer as a SAINT....period! There will never be another set of talented linebackers like the Dome Patrol......all 4 should be in the Hall of Fame together as a group.
I agree on both counts. Iā€™m so thankful I got to grow up watching that unit.

It's things like this (and RJ taking so long to get in) that support my notion that the NFL HOF is kind of a joke....
So, one point I'd like to make in Sam's favor, and this is not picking on you for saying it but seeing you say it reminded me. Its a common mistake for people to call it the NFL HOF, but its not, its the "Pro Football" HOF. There has been more pro football in this country than just the NFL, There was the AFL before the merger, and in addition to his 3 NFL All Pros, and 5 NFL Pro Bowls, he was 3x All USFL, won 2 USFL championships and is on the All Time USFL team. Players like him, Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, who had significant accomplishments in the USFL, that counts toward their induction into the PRO FOOTBALL HOF.

So, one point I'd like to make in Sam's favor, and this is not picking on you for saying it but seeing you say it reminded me. Its a common mistake for people to call it the NFL HOF, but its not, its the "Pro Football" HOF. There has been more pro football in this country than just the NFL, There was the AFL before the merger, and in addition to his 3 NFL All Pros, and 5 NFL Pro Bowls, he was 3x All USFL, won 2 USFL championships and is on the All Time USFL team. Players like him, Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, who had significant accomplishments in the USFL, that counts toward their induction into the PRO FOOTBALL HOF.

are the stats listed for Kelly, Moon etc. in the Hall are their NFL stats or their pro football stats including their USFL stats/

Does Canadian football count?

Were there any star players in the USFL who didn't come to the NFL after it folded, or did but wasn't the same player?

It seems like all the star USFL players went on to star NFL careers

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom