Four Former Saints Are On The Preliminary List For The HOF (1 Viewer)

So, one point I'd like to make in Sam's favor, and this is not picking on you for saying it but seeing you say it reminded me. Its a common mistake for people to call it the NFL HOF, but its not, its the "Pro Football" HOF. There has been more pro football in this country than just the NFL, There was the AFL before the merger, and in addition to his 3 NFL All Pros, and 5 NFL Pro Bowls, he was 3x All USFL, won 2 USFL championships and is on the All Time USFL team. Players like him, Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, who had significant accomplishments in the USFL, that counts toward their induction into the PRO FOOTBALL HOF.

Good point. It is technically correct....thanks for pointing this out...

are the stats listed for Kelly, Moon etc. in the Hall are their NFL stats or their pro football stats including their USFL stats/

Does Canadian football count?

Were there any star players in the USFL who didn't come to the NFL after it folded, or did but wasn't the same player?

It seems like all the star USFL players went on to star NFL careers
I just went to the HOF web site and Jim Kelly's stats from the USFL are listed in his stats and Warren Moon's stats from the CFL are listed.

I just went to the HOF web site and Jim Kelly's stats from the USFL are listed in his stats and Warren Moon's stats from the CFL are listed.

Thanks

do you know if there anyone in the Hall who just played in the CFL?

There has to be a CFL version of Joe Montana, Lawrence Taylor or Jim Brown who only played in Canada

Not sure if it’s still there but when we went to the Hall they had an exhibit of all the football leagues that were no longer in existence

Last edited:
Pat Swilling may not get in this year or next few years, but he will get in eventually. I think he may be inducted in the same year as Drew Brees’ first ballot year 2026.

Swilling has six 10+ sacks seasons (16+ twice), 100 sack club, DPOY, season sack leader, 4x All-Pro, and 5x Pro Bowl. He was an elite pass rusher during his time. And that resume helped made the Dome Patrol the best LB unit in NFL history. That’s a hall of famer.
Swilling has a few things going against him. He played for a small market team that never did anything in the post season. Had he played for the Bears or the Cowboys he'd already be in. His numbers are pretty much exactly the same as Charles Haley's. Both were big time pass rushers but one won 5 Super Bowls. The other never won a playoff game.

Then you add in the fact that he was the third best LB on his own team and that hurts him. So in the end he's a Hall of Very Good player.

None of those guys really have a legit chance except for mills IMO

Id bet everything I own and will earn for the rest of my life Joe Horn is not selected

"Joe Horn gonna take that bet."
-Joe Horn

I think Sam & Pat will make it in the HOF eventually. Both dominated at there positions for years. Pat was a beast. There wasn't a tackle in the league that could block him. He was DPOY & at the top in sacks numerous years.

Swilling has a few things going against him. He played for a small market team that never did anything in the post season. Had he played for the Bears or the Cowboys he'd already be in. His numbers are pretty much exactly the same as Charles Haley's. Both were big time pass rushers but one won 5 Super Bowls. The other never won a playoff game.

Then you add in the fact that he was the third best LB on his own team and that hurts him. So in the end he's a Hall of Very Good player.
I think that small market thing has changed since XLIV and the Saints larger profile.
It’s not a coincidence once XLIV happened, Saints started getting inducted in the Hall.

Mills, yes.

Swilling, although he was insanely quick off the line, he was one-dimensional. He was the fourth-best Saint linebacker back then. No soup for you.

Horn. No. Just no.

Glover? Haslet is an idiot. He's a former linebacker who thinks linemen should eat up blocks to let linebackers make a play. Not penetrate. #Fail! Like many former players, had La'roi gotten a better draw, he'd get in, but I don't think he had the support from his team and coaches to meet the HOF threshold.

As a Saints fan I hope Swilling gets in. But most folks don't realize he only had one double digit sack year after he left Nola....Rickey Jackson was a big part of the reason Swilling was so effective IMO.....

Swilling and Mills are locks, just a question of which year. Horn is a head scratcher. He was good but Tim Brown was #2 in all time receptions and got forked for 4 or 5 years so add that to the fact that Horn was only elite here and there and that dampens expectations.

Not saying he wasn't impressive cuz he could sure as hell set the world on fire at times but TO and Moss were hands-down better than him at basically all times throughout his career.

The duos of Harrison/Wayne and Bruce/Holt are tricky since they had a clear advantage having Peyton and Warner as their QBs but, despite that, even the lowest yardage total of the lot (Holt, 13382) is 4638 yards better than his 8744.

If you look at the list of all time receiving yardage leaders, Horn is at #75 and just glancing at the 74 dudes above him it looks like the majority played during at least half of his career (any 6+ year stretch from 1996-2007). So while he was very good at times there were always at least 5 guys better than him no matter which season we're looking at, except for 2004 when he was #2 in receiving yards. The only other times he cracked the top 10 he was no better than #6: 2000 (8), 2001 (8), and 2002 (6).

I'm not quite sure how La'roi Glover ends up since skill position players have way more stats to help sort em out so unless a non-skill position player is a bonafide first ballot selection anything could happen.

Last edited:
Im surprised to see horn on the list during his time here he was good . But never even a top 5 WR. HOLT, Bruce, Harrison, Ward, Rice, Moss, Brown and Owens were better in that time frame

As much as I loved Joe Horn, I was shocked to see his name anywhere near the phrase Hall Of Fame. While Joe was great for us, he was no where near the top WR of his generation. The Hall Of Fame may start to lose its luster with some of the names it’s been considering lately. How can Jake Delhomme‘s name even be considered in any thing HOF related?

As a Saints fan I hope Swilling gets in. But most folks don't realize he only had one double digit sack year after he left Nola....Rickey Jackson was a big part of the reason Swilling was so effective IMO.....
Don't get me wrong I'd love to see #56 in the HoF. Growing up he was my dude. He was like a super hero out there. Running down QBs so fast on that old Dome turf. I don't mean to slight him in any way because he was a ball player for sure. I hope he gets in but if it took Rickey that long to get in then I don't know if it's going to happen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom