Four linebackers that the Saints need to target in this year's draft (1 Viewer)

@B_doggman47

40 time aside, To put into perspective just how agile Jayson Oweh is for his size only two career linebackers, Barrett Browning and Garrett Wallow, had both a 4.2 or better shuttle and a sub 7.00 3 cone time like Jayson Oweh.

But again, he smoked both Wallow and Browning in the 40 too.

He even tied Kwon Alexander's shuttle time and beat his 3 cone and 40.

He also beat Demario Davis in all 3 drills.

Like I said in another thread, I think that Oweh is athletic enough to play middle linebacker and outside linebacker if a team wanted to put him there.
I haven't got to Oweh yet to look at film on him, so I don't know much about him. I've been looking at some others that I will post about later. But from what you posted about him, he looks like a dang good prospect.

Here's a couple of LB's and one tweener that could project to LB.
Nick Bolton- LB, 6'/237, 4.60-40, 32" Verticle, 4.50 20yd. Shuttle, 7.40 3-Cone.
When you think about forceful inside linebackers, Bolton is the type of player you might be thinking of. He's going to fall below typical NFL starter standards from a size standpoint. But his rugged frame and forceful demeanor help make up for it. Play recognition and pursuit instincts help carry him to the football and he's a message sending hitter when he gets the RB squared up. He has functional short area burst between the tackles and will struggle to run down the outside runs if he's not close enough to the play. He will need to lean heavily on his instincts to help speed him up because of his size and speed limitations. Bolton plays with good field recognition when dropping into zone and he can make plays on the football in coverage. From the film I watched of him, he looks like a 3-down LB who has the potential to become a future starter and can immediately contribute on special teams.

KJ Britt- LB, 6'1/2"/235#, Bench- 24 reps., 4.75-40, Verticle- 32.5".
Ultra aggressive inside linebacker with a real throwback demeanor. He has a real downhill attacking style that can clog running lanes, but it looks like at times it causes him to sight of the ball carrier and he gets trapped behind blocks and it can limit his ability to track the RB. His hips are kind of tight and lacks the range to pursue from sideline to sideline. But I noticed when watching some of his film, he hits and players definitely feel it. Another negative is that he is a liability in coverage, he looks lost a lot of the times. He'll probably start out as a 2-down backup and he has special teams value.

This guy is a tweener.
Jayson Oweh- DE/OLB, 6'5"/ 255#, 4.36-40, Verticle- 39.5". That is very fast for a man his size.
He's explosive and undersized for a DE, but he has great athleticism. Plays with terrific pad level, he effectively uses his hands and has good strength for his size. Jolts opponents with good hand punch, plays off blocks and gets behind scrimmage making plays against the run. He has mad skills at backside persuit to make a tackle on the RB in the backfield or just beyond the line of scrimmage. Smooth and fluid moving about the field or dropping off the line to play in space. He has a stout build and rarely gets knocked off his feet. Fast moving in every direction, gets out laterally in pursuit of the ball carrier, and gives good effort.
He does have a few negatives. Lacks bulk and gets easily out positioned from the play by a single blocker. When he stands up over the tackle he isn't as effective as he is in a 3-point stance.
From what I've seen of him on film and what I've read about him, in my opinion; He's tweener I think he's best projected as an OLB at the NFL level. I believe he can play OLB in a 4-3 or 3-4 defense.

Malcolm Koonce- Edge, 6'2"/249#
Couldn't find anything on his pro day. That's even if he had one. If anyone else knows, Can you please post the results.

Koonce has a good frame and length, though he's a bit on the lean side. He looks to be an above average athlete. He's got a quick first step. He has great bend and hip/ankle flexibility. He's also able to flatten and turn the corner with ease, plus Koonce had real good hand use. Uses his length well in the run game, holds the point of attack when he plays with proper leverage and pad level. I didn't see him drop into coverage a lot while watching film of him, but he is fluid with loose hips moving backwards and he looked good in zone coverage. He's able to disengage and slip blocks in the run game. Koonce also has experience playing the left or right side.
I think he needs to get stronger overall, because he can get washed in the run game at times when he plays too highHe needs to develop more moves. Power & bull rushes aren't going to be much of a threat against NFL O-Linemen especially tackles, especially at his size. Developing more moves would make his speed rush more effective. He doesn't have much experience dropping into coverage.
From what I have researched on Koonce, it looks like may be able to play both OLB positions. He could be a good fit there and he could be coached up to drop and play in coverage.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom