Article Four Players the Saints need to Re-Sign Other than Drew Brees (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
As stated before, the New Orleans Saints have a list of 24 players that will become free agents during the 2020 free agency period. The reality of the situation is that half of those players will not be wearing a Saints uniform by the time training camp starts.

Key free agents the Saints need to re-sign not named Drew Brees

Great article but I think PJ Williams is priority over AJ Klein
Thanks for reading. P.J. over Klein? I can respect that. Let him play safety though if possible.

From that list of 24 free agents, there are 7 starters. The rest are just depth and ST players, which most will likely be cheap enough to re-sign if we want. I agree that we need to find a way to keep the 4 mentioned in the article. I'm hopeful we'll be fine for another year. When it's time to pay Kamara, Lattimore, Davenport, and a few others, then I expect we'll see some major changes.

Last edited:
I thought Klein played Mike?? Thought it was Davis at Will, Klein at Mike, and Alonso at Sam. Is that incorrect?

We desperately need an infusion of youth and athleticism at the LB position. Draft Queen or Murray and pick up Collins in FA!

I thought Klein played Mike?? Thought it was Davis at Will, Klein at Mike, and Alonso at Sam. Is that incorrect?
Nah, Klein has played SAM in the base pretty much since he’s gotten here.

Te’o played MIKE in 2017 and Anzalone took over in 2018 (after playing WILL in 2017 until he got hurt against the Dolphins).

After Anzalone went down this year, Alonso then manned the MIKE position after he became acclimated to the system until his own subsequent injury on Thanksgiving in Atlanta.

Afterward, the MIKE snaps were filled on a by-snap basis by a combination of Robertson and Te’o until Alonso returned.

Klein technically does get snaps at MIKE on occasion, but it’s usually when we’re in a nickel and not our base, but these are usually Anzalone’s snaps when he’s available.

Nah, Klein has played SAM in the base pretty much since he’s gotten here.

Te’o played MIKE in 2017 and Anzalone took over in 2018 (after playing WILL in 2017 until he got hurt against the Dolphins).

After Anzalone went down this year, Alonso then manned the MIKE position after he became acclimated to the system until his own subsequent injury on Thanksgiving in Atlanta.

Afterward, the MIKE snaps were filled on a by-snap basis by a combination of Robertson and Te’o until Alonso returned.

Klein technically does get snaps at MIKE on occasion, but it’s usually when we’re in a nickel and not our base, but these are usually Anzalone’s snaps when he’s available.

Gotcha. Thanks. Man I hope we get an opportunity to draft Patrick Queen

Agree with all but Klein. While he’s serviceable I’d love for the team to somehow be able to upgrade that position. There are several Lb’s in this draft that would be ideal imo.

I love Vonn Bell’s game and hope we can afford him.

Great article but I think PJ Williams is priority over AJ Klein

Idk man, that's def up for conversation. Especially with CGJ expected to play a lot of snaps in the slot this upcoming season.

It's all gonna depend on if resign Apple, or upgrade, and resigning Bell as well. The truth is PJ has been inconsistent in his time here, and I think the coaching staff feels as if they can upgrade him through the draft/free agencyz paying around the same if not just a tad more

Got to find the money. Right now the team has only $9.3M available against the assumed 2020 cap of $200M... and here's the elephant in the room... with NO quarterback currently under contract... AND the voided years of Drew, Teddy and Klein hanging over the team's head, which are all accounted for in the calculation of the $9.3M in available 2020 cap space. Drew is almost $16M of the voided total of almost $19M

If the Saints cut 3 players, Jenkins, Robinson, Alonso and restructure Armstead, they will be over 30 million in cap space.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom