Four Saints players that are already turning heads during OTAs (1 Viewer)

These are the kind of threads that create crazy levels of fan expectation. I hope you're all kind if he doesn't meet your predetermined levels of stardom.

Let's just let the guy play and hope he's able to hold down a starting gig. Anything else as lagniappe.

Encouraging to hear that about D'Marco Jackson. I know a lot of us have high hopes for the guy and we could use another quality backer.

And if Krull is the truth we could have a nice TE room with a nice blend of skill sets.

Exactly. Even during TC it's tough to get a real assessment on them. I remember one year Brandon Coleman was killing it during TC. I think it's safe to say that not one lick of that transferred over to the regular season. I guess that's why Bobby H would use the term "All-Metairie"
I blame the new "news cycle" including bloggers and vloggers. Back in the day nobody really covered nor cared much about these early training sessions.

It's OTAs. They aren't even going half speed and it's just routine football drills from high school.

If you look year after year, this opening part of OTA's, QB's and WR's ALWAYS look good. They're basically playing pitch and catch at this point. No real pass rush, limited defense, etc. Not saying they won't be great on the real field, but I don't think you can make a lot of accurate assessments at this point other than "he can run really fast" or "he knows how to catch a football".
Yes very true and I am a firm believer of "show me on game day". I had my share of disappointment with encouraging insight into such players during these practices. But to hear a guy doing it consistently since the start of OTAs is encouraging. He is getting more headlines than any other players doing the same thing. That says a lot.

A few thoughts -

Shaheed is starting where he finished last season. Opening eyes. His emergence as a starting WR has actually opened up the PR/KR spot for another player. You can’t have a starting WR as your primary PR/KR. The chances of injury are too high. Malik Flowers or Sy Barnett have a legit shot at a roster spot.

Hopefully Carr is quickly becoming comfortable in the Saints Offense. It is similar to the O he put up his best numbers in under Gruden. He will be allowed to make adjustments at the LOS after reading the Defense. He should excel.

D’Marco Jackson was one of the “stars” early last preseason too. All reports said he looked great. Then he got banged up and went on to IR. LB is a position of huge need for the Saints so the team needs him to succeed. Fingers crossed he stays healthy through TC and those great practice reps transfer to regular season performance.

Krull was one of the players I had my eye on last season. He fit the bill as an all around TE - big enough to block on the OL but with good enough hands to be a receiving threat. Kind of what we were expecting but never got from Trautman.

Like others have said it’s easy to stand out in helmets and shorts as a skill player. That changes completely once the hitting starts. Remember Marques Colston looked terrible in OTAs and early in TC but steadily improved as camp went on. By the last preseason game he was a clear starter and an emerging star.

Sy Barnett was waived after the rookie mini camp

You can still be excited for these guys and be realistic. Take Shaheed Jackson and Krull. Now how do they compare to where they were at this point last year?

Shaheed wasn't even able to run yet but still proved himself during the season once he got healthy. Now he's going to have a full offseason to build off last year amd reports are that he is.

Krull is showing a big improvement as a receiver. His route running, footworkand timing is improved from last year. He still has a lot of work to out in but he's getting better.

Jackson is healthy and has shown a better understanding of assignments and reads and overall is getting a better grasp of the mental aspects.

While it's easy to look good this time of the year all you have to do is look to last year to see if there is improvement or not.

Sy Barnett got waived despite his athletic gifts. He struggled with routes and drops.

I blame the new "news cycle" including bloggers and vloggers. Back in the day nobody really covered nor cared much about these early training sessions.

It's OTAs. They aren't even going half speed and it's just routine football drills from high school.
Exactly. Especially since it's dead around this time of the year. After mini camp, it's going to be really silent.
So these reporters have to have something to talk about. I'm curious if they get a percentage of tickets sold?

Shaheed has Tyreek-Hill upside, IMHO. Could easily see him and Olave being neck-and-neck as 1-A and 1-B before the 2023 season is out.

Which player do you stand up or sit at the edge of your seat to watch? I know the one that brings excitement.

As much as Harty contributed during his time here, methinks Shaheed can be an even better version of him. Another UDFA gem for the organization đź‘Ť

Shaheed as a WR is what we all hoped and thought Deonte would develop into.

Now don't get me wrong Harty, or should I say "Harris" in his prime was the best return man in football. Return men like him don't come around often. Injuries and lack of depth on ST last year kind of derailed that.

While I think Harty has the edge in the return game (going off his collective sample size) Shaheed is the better overall player, and has a way higher ceiling.

Shaheed really has a chance to become a household name. He could become the next DeSean Jackson. Not saying he will, but that's not out of the realm of possibility.

With his combination of athleticism, IQ, and attitude for the game, the sky is the limit!

I was excited about him after I watched his tape last year, after we signed him to that huge UDFA contract. I'm even more excited about him now!!

Shaheed as a WR is what we all hoped and thought Deonte would develop into.

Now don't get me wrong Harty, or should I say "Harris" in his prime was the best return man in football. Return men like him don't come around often. Injuries and lack of depth on ST last year kind of derailed that.

While I think Harty has the edge in the return game (going off his collective sample size) Shaheed is the better overall player, and has a way higher ceiling.

Shaheed really has a chance to become a household name. He could become the next DeSean Jackson. Not saying he will, but that's not out of the realm of possibility.

With his combination of athleticism, IQ, and attitude for the game, the sky is the limit!

I was excited about him after I watched his tape last year, after we signed him to that huge UDFA contract. I'm even more excited about him now!!
Harty wasn't a bad receiver either, but I think that Shaheed is a better overall player. Harty caught a few nice passes, but injuries and lack of creativity on offense played against him.

Harty wasn't a bad receiver either, but I think that Shaheed is a better overall player. Harty caught a few nice passes, but injuries and lack of creativity on offense played against him.
Another thing that held Harty back was his size. The man wasn't just small, he was tiny at 5'6", 170 lbs. It will be interesting to see what the Bills do with him if he can stay healthy. He's going to be playing in a pass happy offense with a lot of talent and a QB with the best arm in the sport.

Speed Shaheed on the other hand is better suited for a traditional WR role. Based on what we've seen so far it's obvious that he's not just a gadget player.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom