Four Takeaways from the 2020 Season (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
For the fourth consecutive season, the New Orleans Saints season ends on a sour note. This time it occurred in the divisional round of the postseason. They fell to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 30-20 in an NFC divisional-round matchup. Before Sunday’s loss to Tampa, the Saints had swept the season series and outscored them by a score of 72-26.

Yes, our defense was championship level. However, when we needed a pass rush the most, they disappeared. TB12 does not run and he is not even remotely a threat to run. That should allow the D Line to tee off on him. Couldn’t have been easier for those dudes.
Understood, I get it. But our offense put them in a bad spot with those turnovers. I don't think the 2000 Ravens defense could overcome that.

Understood, I get it. But our offense put them in a bad spot with those turnovers. I don't think the 2000 Ravens defense could overcome that.
I never really bought the "one of the greatest defenses ever" line, there is where stats can be misleading. I'm not even sure this D was better than our SB team. Ray Lewis is one of the greatest LBs ever but no one on our D is on that level. I was actually surprised that our D line was at full strength but failed to get to Brady.

Absolutely, our offense gave that game away, but you can’t let TB get time in the pocket. Had we got some kind of pressure, maybe we hold TB to FGs, or bait him into turnovers as well. Like the Peyton Manning led Broncos. Miller and Ware played out of their minds that year.....every game. Those guys understood what they had to do, buy getting after the QB, and hope that Manning put together a few good drives. Which, a HOF QB, that can’t throw past 15 yards CAN do. Championship level defenses bring it, in it’s entirety every game. Our defense was just in the “great” category. Championship level is a different elite category all together. Just my $.02.
No one will remember this defense outside of Saints fans.

Yes, our defense was championship level. However, when we needed a pass rush the most, they disappeared. TB12 does not run and he is not even remotely a threat to run. That should allow the D Line to tee off on him. Couldn’t have been easier for those dudes.

I mean Brady had only 199 yards at barely 50 percent completion percentage. He mainly just did quick dump off passes to fournette.

No defensive line was going to get to him with those quick passes. AB and Evans were 2 for 13 yards combined. 63 yards of offense created 21 points because of defensive turnovers.

Honestly, maybe 5 percent of this loss is on the defense IMO.

I mean Brady had only 199 yards at barely 50 percent completion percentage. He mainly just did quick dump off passes to fournette.

No defensive line was going to get to him with those quick passes. AB and Evans were 2 for 13 yards combined. 63 yards of offense created 21 points because of defensive turnovers.

Honestly, maybe 5 percent of this loss is on the defense IMO.
He capitalized bc he was comfortable in the pocket. I’m sure TB converted 3 key first downs (to players not named Fournette) that led to points. Besides, had we garnered any kind of pressure, then maybe LF would have to help block. It’s a different ballgame when you are eating a QB’s lunch. If you give that man time, 9 times out of 10, he will find a way to beat you. Plus, with how our offense is predicated with dump offs to RBs, you would think we would be proficient at stopping that. You can’t tell me that we don’t run those plays in practice, with a better RB in AK41. Sure, the offense put us in terrible situations, but this game was tailored made for our D Line to dominate from beginning to end. Just my $.02

Last edited:
He capitalized bc he was comfortable in the pocket. I’m sure TB converted 3 key first downs (to players not named Fournette) that led to points. Besides, had we garnered any kind of pressure, then maybe LF would have to hep block. It’s a different ballgame when you are eating a QB’s lunch. If you give that man time, 9 times out of 10, he will find a way to beat you. Plus, with how our offense is predicated with dump offs to RBs, you would think we would be proficient at stopping that. You can’t tell me that we don’t run those plays in practice, with a better RB in AK41. Sure, the offense put us in terrible situations, but this game was tailored made for our D Line to dominate from beginning to end. Just my $.02
199 yards passing. That is all. The greatest defenses in history do not overcome 4 to 0 turnover ratio. You have your targets on the wrong side of the ball. Pressure would have been nice but Brady was getting rid of it quick and we did not make him work very much for 21 points.

Answer this, if the defense plays exactly the same and Saints only turn the ball over twice, think the Saints win? I do.

The only thing I blame the defense for is after a dominating performance during the whole first half, they once again allowed a team to go easily right down the field to score a FG at the end of the half and were lucky Godwin dropped a TD pass at that. Too often this happens before half, a lot of times kickstarted by Sean Payton calling a timeout after it appears team is willing to let clock run out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom