Fourth Quarter - Passing on 4th down (3 Viewers)

Running up the score isn’t a thing anymore, unless we’re talking about youth sports.

Yep, I'm with you fellas. No such thing as running up the score in the pros.

Beside, Coach wants to run every whack-ado play he's got on that giant laminated menu board just so it gets put on "film" and DC now have to study/prep for that play with all the other things the Saints offense does on the field. Defense's can't just key on any one player or two, because the Saints run crazy stuff, with little know players, out of ordinary looking formations.

I think it was ultimately a response to that Eagles kicker who got a little too amped on his tackle of Kamara on a punt. Gave em a kill shot with Kamara for 40 yards...

Folks this is the friggin NFL... Not Bama versus The Citadel where Saban decides going in to not totally embarass the opponents....

I remember that the 49ers of the 80's and 90's (bill walsh era) did the same thing with a large lead. At first, I used to think that they were running it up because they would pass on the field goal and go for it instead. The more that I thought about it, the more that I realized that kicking the high percentage field goal was more a case of running it up than going for a 4th down, which had a much lower percentage of happening. Also, even if you make a first down, there is no guarantee of scoring a touch down. So, the argument for running it up by going for it on 4th down is actually less likely than the field goal. One other note that if you make it on 4th, you can continue to control the clock and run it down, which lowers the risk of your guys getting hurt in a game that is lopsided.

At that point, Philadelphia was still trying to score by running uptempo. Why should we stop trying if they are going to continue to try and score quickly?

I doubt the Saints were trying to score. Philly just gave them the look needed to take that shot. Too short a field to punt (Ball on the 20 with a touchback) and too long to risk the field goal (Ball on the 45 with a miss). Going for it on 4th was a no-brainer. At worst, they get the ball on the 38. We saw the at best result.

Great game awareness and coaching. Philly should have let the Saints grind out a first down if they didn't want the dagger on fourth and 7 from the 38.

Coach wants to stick it in Goodell's face probably the most out of all of us. He has a chip on his shoulder and that's rubbing off on everyone. He's went for it on 4th down a ton this year.....that's the ultimate show of confidence in your offense. This isn't the last time we see that happen and let the others hate.

The radio announcer for the Eagles said the Saints should be embarrassed for blowing them out. I think I would be slightly more embarrassed getting pounded by 41 points only because we did call of the dogs the last 1/8th of the game.

If you look at Drew's eyes the entire play, that was designed to go only to Kamara vs Jenkins. There was no progression, except maybe a look behind him to possibly check the pass rush, as he stared Kamara down the entire time. A line backer split off late to make a half hearted dash towards Kamara as he was gunning it past Jenkins. Thomas was doubled, everybody else was covered, and Kamara just ran a fly route right to the end zone. Everybody on that field knew what was gonna happen, Jenkins just got burned. If you look at Brees, he almost looked mad after the TD, kind of like he said "yeah... don't f with me".

I don't know what Jenkins said, but he fired up the Saints somehow and he ate dirt on that play.

I think it probably has to do with deciding to not let down. In other words, going 100% every play. Just extending that to coaching and playcalling. How many times has it seemed like we were dragging in the 3rd quarter and had to gear back up when another team took advantage of that? Just play the whole game like it's 0-0 until it's time to simply eat clock and go home.

And for the record... I hope we're going for it on 4th down and throwing bombs after the 2-minute warning with a 60 point lead Thursday night.

I'm of the opinion that as long as the other team is trying to win the game; i.e. starters still in, offense throwing the ball, etc. then you keep your foot on the gas. If it is obvious that the opponent has thrown in the towel with their second string QB and they are running the ball, then but in Teddy and Washington and do what we did on the last drive.

That was my favorite play of the whole game.
Going for it on 4th and 7.
And not a short pass either.
CSP and Drew at their finest.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom