Fox Sports: Giants are contenders, jury out on other 2-0 teams (1 Viewer)

bienv

Lurker
Reaction score
Giants are contenders, jury out on other 2-0 teams
5. New Orleans

Preseason vibe: There were never doubts about QB Drew Brees and the Saints' high-powered passing offense. But concerns remained about whether New Orleans had done enough to bolster the two areas (running game and defense) that derailed last year's playoff run.

What we know now: Mike Bell's emergence gives New Orleans the chance to field a three-headed rushing attack with Reggie Bush and Pierre Thomas once he returns from injury. Bell, a once-promising player in Denver, ranks fourth in the NFL in rushing with 229 yards. The Saints also have shown defensive improvement under aggressive new coordinator Gregg Williams. Like in Minnesota with the Williams Wall, the Saints don't have to worry that starting DEs Charles Grant and Will Smith will be suspended as the Starcaps situation will not get resolved until 2010.

What's going to happen: Even with Philadelphia using a first-time starter at quarterback in Kevin Kolb, a 48-22 stomping of the Eagles was impressive for a Saints squad that was 2-6 on the road last season. We'll find out whether New Orleans is for real starting in October when the Saints play the Jets, Giants and Falcons in a five-week stretch. The good news for New Orleans: Those three teams have to come marching into the Louisiana Superdome.
The Falcons are ranked #3 on the list.

Cant really argue with that, our defense did give up alot of yards to Kolb, but we stopped them when we needed to. That 3 game stretch will show what were made of.

Cant really argue with that, our defense did give up alot of yards to Kolb, but we stopped them when we needed to. That 3 game stretch will show what were made of.
that happens when your up by 21 early in the 3rd quater

weird that the Giants squeaked out two wins and are contenders.

against two division rivals. winning in Dallas.

say what you want but division games bring more to the playing field.

they earn my respect. until they come to the DOME

But Kolb had 196 of his 391 in the first half when the game was still close.

Yeah, but nearly one third of that was on that one play where Harper missed his guy. I thought they did a great job of containing the Eagles and didn't give them much (score wise) after that.

Sounds like a pretty fair, level-headed assessment.

If this early in the season you're considered to be among the top-5, that's saying a lot.

They're right. The next few weeks will give us a better focus on where this team actually is. But so far, so good! :scratch:

:gosaints:

Saint Jeremy said:
Yeah, but nearly one third of that was on that one play where Harper missed his guy. I thought they did a great job of containing the Eagles and didn't give them much (score wise) after that.

I could then say that Kolb would have had more passing yards if not for their several turnovers. And whose to say he wouldn't have had at least 40 passing yards on that drive they bombed anyway? My point was that he still had a lot of yards that first half and it wasn't only because of the prevent. As long as they don't get more pressure I expect better offensive teams to continue to get those kind of yards on them in the air.

look I love the Saints too, but does it matter how he got the yards? didnt we use that arguement with Stafford, about how alot of his yards came on 1 play. I think that can be said in just about every senario.

The Giants are thin in the defensive backfield, and their receiving corps is inexperienced. They're getting the nod b/c they won the SB two years ago and b/c they're New York. As for the rest of the rankings, yada yada yada. The only thing that matters is who keeps on winning. I like our chances.

Ah,well the fact that we gave up a 70 yard pitch and catch TD makes it all better!

Because after all, big plays are an anomaly. The Saints surely aren't known for giving up big plays the last few years...

Pretty sure it was 171 yards, not 196.

It's 196. I went into the game log and did the math myself the other day. (Actually came up with 195 but close enough).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom