Fox Sports: Giants are contenders, jury out on other 2-0 teams (1 Viewer)

Ah,well the fact that we gave up a 70 yard pitch and catch TD makes it all better!

Because after all, big plays are an anomaly. The Saints surely aren't known for giving up big plays the last few years...

Roman Harper slipped on the play.

Yes, you have a point about us giving up big plays, but to answer your question, a player slipping and giving up a TD is usually an anomaly vs. something you should expect to happen every game.

The fact that Williams immediately adjusted and we didn't give up another long pass play the rest of the game should make you feel a tad bit more comfortable with his abilities.

After that 71 yard play we only gave up 2 passes over 15 yards until the 4th quarter and most of his other passes were the 5-6 yard variety. The two intermediate passes were an yarder and another 26 yarder. That is progress. The longest run was the 17 yarder by westbrook out of the wildcat.

I guess you can cut it whatever way fits your own personal argument. All I know is, I did the math the other day, and Kolb had 159 passing yards after Bush's TD with 10 minutes left put us up 41-20. So that's 232 yards in the 50 minutes before the game was out of reach. Make your own judgement what that means...

Yes, you have a point about us giving up big plays, but to answer your question, a player slipping and giving up a TD is usually an anomaly vs. something you should expect to happen every game.

The fact that Williams immediately adjusted and we didn't give up another long pass play the rest of the game should make you feel a tad bit more comfortable with his abilities.

After that 70 yard play we only gave up 2 passes over 15 yards until the 4th quarter. One 18 yarder and another 26 yarder. That is progress. The longest run was the 17 yarder by westbrook out of the wildcat.

Shrug. Fair point. We were in prevent for most of the second half which could explain the big play thing.

We gave up a couple big plays to the Lions too. I still worry about that with this team.

However, increasing turnovers abates that just a bit. So far I'm pleased, if not a bit worried when we play a real offense (won't happen for awhile, thankfully).

After that 71 yard play we only gave up 2 passes over 15 yards until the 4th quarter and most of his other passes were the 5-6 yard variety. The two intermediate passes were an yarder and another 26 yarder. That is progress. The longest run was the 17 yarder by westbrook out of the wildcat.
Stokley catching that TD against Cincy, thats an anomaly. Look at about every big preformance(300yds passing/100yds rushing) and youll have at least 1 play that counted for a big chunk of the yardage

Guess we will see! <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://gotsaints.com/?tracker=4276"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://gotsaints.com/?tracker=4276" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

It's 196. I went into the game log and did the math myself the other day. (Actually came up with 195 but close enough).

We forced 3 punts and held them to 2 FG's outside of the big play, which yes does still count. I'm not saying it doesn't.

We did some good things defensively overall despite Kolb's yardage.

Shrug. Fair point. We were in prevent for most of the second half which could explain the big play thing.

We gave up a couple big plays to the Lions too. I still worry about that with this team.

However, increasing turnovers abates that just a bit. So far I'm pleased, if not a bit worried when we play a real offense (won't happen for awhile, thankfully).

I like Williams ability to adjust.

We give up the big play to Jackson very early on and the rest of the game he only catches 3 passes for 30 yards and we shut the big play down overall.

We give up the big 64 yard play to Johnson in the 3rd quarter and he doesn't catch a pass the rest of the game after that.

Things just feel different now even if one of our two games we gave up too much yardage overall.

The big play will still be there for other teams at times, but I feel confident that it won't be there repeatedly as it was in the past, to the point where it can beat you alone.

All I know is despite the yardage given up, we didn't just beat the Eagles, we kicked their butt.

And as Carl Banks said on Sirius this AM, when the other team knows your offense can score like the Saints can, they feel the pressure to also score every drive (and not a FG), so that gives the Saints D more chances to get make plays and give the ball back to Brees. Our defense doesn't have to be great, just good enough. And if our offense is clicking, it makes our defense better because they can play with the lead. There aren't many offenses that can keep pace with Brees.

I like Williams ability to adjust.

We give up the big play to Jackson very early on and the rest of the game he only catches 3 passes for 30 yards and we shut the big play down overall.

We give up the big 64 yard play to Johnson in the 3rd quarter and he doesn't catch a pass the rest of the game after that.

Things just feel different now even if one of our two games we gave up too much yardage overall.

The big play will still be there for other teams at times, but I feel confident that it won't be there repeatedly as it was in the past, to the point where it can beat you alone.

All I know is despite the yardage given up, we didn't just beat the Eagles, we kicked their butt.

And as Carl Banks said on Sirius this AM, when the other team knows your offense can score like the Saints can, they feel the pressure to also score every drive (and not a FG), so that gives the Saints D more chances to get make plays and give the ball back to Brees. Our defense doesn't have to be great, just good enough. And if our offense is clicking, it makes our defense better because they can play with the lead. There aren't many offenses that can keep pace with Brees.

Agree with both posts. Well done.

I'm hoping to see our defense put together a complete game. What I mean by that is:

1.) Don't give up any big plays (TD's over 30 yrds).
2.) Keep the score under 20 pts.
3.) Get some pressure on the quarterback (2 sacks and a few hurries).
4.) Get a couple of turnover.
5.) Get off the field on 3rd down.

If they can manage to put all of these things together in at least one game, I will feel a lot better. I see glimpses in the first two games, but I would like to see it all of it. It will impress me if they can prevent number 1 from happening against T.O and Lee Evans.

Perhaps I'm missing something but it seems they more or less said things are going well for the saints and we'll see what happens after a few tough home games (paraphrasing , of course). To me that sounds fair honest and yes, even positive. There seems to be a certian hypocrisy on this board as of late where there is the negative connatation of "jumping on the bandwagon", yet ant media comment not "bandwagonish" (i invented a word) enough gets a complaint thread...

glass_half_full1.jpg

Our defense has allowed 5 20+ yard plays and 2 40+ yard plays through 2 games.

20-yard plays Allowed - 5
Calvin Johnson, DET - 1
Jason Avant, PHI - 2
Brent Celek, PHI - 2

Johnson's happened on their 2nd drive. One of Avant's came right before the end of the 1st half and the other in the 4th. Both of Celek's occurred in the 4th, 1 on their final drive.

40-yard Plays Allowed - 2
Calvin Johnson, DET - 1
Desean Jackson, PHI - 1

Johnson's came against a rookie CB who was only in due to injury. And he's Calvin Freakin' Johnson. He can do that to most CBs.

I'm not worried by this.

The interesting part is that the side poll has people believing we will go undefeated the longest besides the Giants. With 106,000 votes behind it, I don't think that's Saints fan stacked, I think that's a pretty good indication of how much THE FANS are noticing us even if the sports analysts aren't.

29% for Giants 17% for Saints 15% for Vikings.

And this of course makes sense if you look at the Giants remaining schedule.

TB HAHA
KC HAHA
OAK HAHA
NEW ORLEANS !

We will be their first big challenge. If we can win against Buff and NYJets (won't be easy!), we'll both be undefeated when we meet. Oh and it's in the Dome.

I'm usually not one to get upset over media bias but this is a little bit ridiculous. The Giants ran into a dreadful performance by Romo, barely won and they're contenders. We ran into a pretty decent performance from a backup and the #1 defense (at the time) and yet the jury's still out. How does that work? :facepalm:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom