Fox Sports Power Rankings after week 2 (1 Viewer)

Yet again, somebody makes the terrible point that we only beat the Lions and the Eagles "without Donovan"

They could have had anyone back there playing QB and we still would have hung 41 on their "top tier defense"

Oh dont you know... Donovan would have thrown for 391 yards.... oh wait.. Kolb did that....

oh dont you know... Donovan plays a mean Middle Linebacker AND strong saftey AT THE SAME TIME.......... No way the Saints put up 41 if he is there

I think the reason the media is tenative to declare the Saints serious contenders is because its the Saints. I have to admit I think this team is great and it will be a great season but I have to admit that being a Saints fan just about my entire life, in the back of my mind I'm just waiting for the wheels to fall off. The Saints are going to have to put together a few consecative seasons in row where they go deep into the playoffs before they start getting the kind of respect that many fans want. Until then they will be the "same old Saints".

Not sure he gets it. This isn't college where an 0-2 can be ranked higher than a 2-0 team. The Titans are ranked 10th at 0-2 and the 49ers are ranked 13th at 2-0.

The Steelers are 1-1 and ranked 2nd after losing to the Bears who are ranked 17th at 1-1.

This is the NFL and you are what your record says you are until proven otherwise. As far as I am concerned ALL 2-0 teams should be at the top of the list followed by 1-1 teams and brought up in the rear by 0-2 teams.
Bro gotta disagree there. Your thinking of Standings which should always reflect the team with the better record. Power rankings are just like the BCS system that reflects strength of win and toughness of schedule (or at least this journalists opinion of what they are) only better because unlike the BCS they have absoultly no effect on the outcome what-so-ever. (the way it should be) A journalits opinion is just that an opinion and you know what the say about opinions. . . .

Bro gotta disagree there. Your thinking of Standings which should always reflect the team with the better record. Power rankings are just like the BCS system that reflects strenght of win and toughness (or at least this journalists opinion of what they are) only better because unlike the BCS they have absoultly no effect on the outcome what-so-ever. (the way it should be) A journalits opinion is just that an opinion and you know what the say about opinions. . . .

I see where you are going but let's say we are midseason, would you rank a team that is 0-8 ahead of a team that's 8-0?

ssshhhhhh!!!

I do not want any MEDIA credit. I have been a Saints fan too long to get excited or care what the media thinks. My simple motto this year is "Just Get in". Would I prefer 16-0 to get in sure, but it 9-7 gets us in...Just get in the playoffs and lets see what happens.

MC

I see where you are going but let's say we are midseason, would you rank a team that is 0-8 ahead of a team that's 8-0?
I really couldn't forsee a situation in which a legitimate Power Ranker would have that in if they did. Well its probally a joke.

Right now as of week 3. If San Fran and Tenn were to play on a neutral site who would be favored?

I'd probally give Tennesee a 1 or two point spread (Although I am surprisingly impressed with the Niners)

With McNabb, they probably didn't throw that interception right after we made it 24 to 13. They might have even gone down the field and made it 24 to 20 which would have made it an entirely different ball game. Kolb played well in the first half and the Eagles D gave us everything they had and we finished that half 17 to 13. McNabb might have made it 17 to 17 though. In other words, it's fair to mention that we played against a novice QB.

I should also mention the missed holding call (against Stinchcomb) by the ref that might have stifled our TD drive at the end of the second quarter (Reggie got 29 yards and a badly needed first down). We still have a lot to prove.

With McNabb and proper officiating, that game could have been *really* close (or a loss if we made one extra mistake).

With McNabb, they probably didn't throw that interception right after we made it 24 to 13. They might have even gone down the field and made it 24 to 20 which would have made it an entirely different ball game. Kolb played well in the first half and the Eagles D gave us everything they had and we finished that half 17 to 13. McNabb might have made it 17 to 17 though. In other words, it's fair to mention that we played against a novice QB.
Thats really the point I've been trying to make. Sure McNabb doesn't play D but you can't underestimate what he an still do for that offense, and what small variables he may (or may not) have made for that defense. Its still very probable that if he plays, Saints still take it but thats hypothetical.

But football is football and Injuries are just another level of the game. The Saints deserve 100% of that win.

Last edited:
I really couldn't forsee a situation in which a legitimate Power Ranker would have that in if they did. Well its probally a joke.

Right now as of week 3. If San Fran and Tenn were to play on a neutral site who would be favored?

I'd probally give Tennesee a 1 or two point spread (Although I am surprisingly impressed with the Niners)

Exactly, I really can't see a situation where a winless team is better than an undeafted team, IN THE NFL.

This isn't the LSU Tigers vs the Rice Owls. These are professional teams.

If 0-8 vs 8-0 is too much, then exactly when does it matter, 0-3 vs 3-0, 0-4 vs 4-0, 0-5 vs 5-0?

Exactly, I really can't see a situation where a winless team is better than an undeafted team, IN THE NFL.

This isn't the LSU Tigers vs the Rice Owls. These are professional teams.

If 0-8 vs 8-0 is too much, then exactly when does it matter, 0-3 vs 3-0, 0-4 vs 4-0, 0-5 vs 5-0?
I'd say draw the line at around 1-3 to 3-1. Right now its only been two games so you can't really say that one team is better than another based on standings alone.

I'm pretty sure if either the Falcons or Saints were to match-up against the Steelers at Heinz we'd probally be around 3 or 4 point underdogs on paper.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom