FoxNews fans do see world differently, poll finds (1 Viewer)

Domefan504

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Interesting little poll about people who watch Foxnews all day long. This is why Clinton may win.

Fox News fans pessimistic about the country, and Clinton - Oct. 28, 2016

New data shows that Fox loyalists, when compared to the public at large, are far more pessimistic about America's future; are far more critical of President Obama's performance; are far more fearful of Hillary Clinton; and are more forgiving of Donald Trump.
The sharp differences in opinion extend to beliefs about political corruption, voter fraud and media coordination with campaigns. Fox fans, when compared to fans of other networks, are far more likely to express concern about November's election results being manipulated.
They are also more likely to agree with the sentiment that divisions in the United States are deeper than in the past.
The data -- from a new national poll by Suffolk University -- shows deep divisions, indeed. And it demonstrates why 21st Century Fox patriarch Rupert Murdoch recently told the Wall Street Journal that it would be "business suicide" to change Fox's editorial direction.

When asked "if the general election was held today... for whom will you vote or lean toward," 83% of Fox loyalists said Trump and 11% said Clinton.
On the flip side, 77% of CNN loyalists and 94% of MSNBC loyalists said Clinton.
People who trusted Fox the most were also far more likely than people who trusted CNN, MSNBC or other channels to say that recent revelations from hacked emails released by Wikileaks raise conflicts of interest for Clinton if she is elected president.
85% of Fox fans said yes, according to the poll, compared with 45% of CNN fans and 15% of MSNBC fans.
Some of these findings are just predictable examples of polarization. But the poll also shows that Fox loyalists are more susceptible to claims of election corruption.
Suffolk asked, "If the candidate you support loses," will you feel that "the other candidate won fair and square and deserves the support of all Americans," or that "corruption cost your candidate the election, and the new president shouldn't be seen as legitimately elected?"
43% of Fox loyalists cited corruption, versus 28% of overall respondents.
65% of Fox loyalists in the poll said they are worried that election results could be manipulated, far higher than the 38% overall response. Only 12% of MSNBC fans and 19% of CNN fans said they shared the concern.
Conversely, only 31% of Fox loyalists agreed with the view that the election results can be trusted to be fair and accurate, compared with 77% of CNN viewers, 85% of MSNBC viewers, and 57% of overall respondents.
Among people who are worried about the security of the election, many Fox fans expressed concern about the news media trying to "change the election results" -- possibly a result of Fox's anti-media tone.
Fox allies might say the poll findings show that other channels have a liberal bent.
Fox critics might say that the results illustrate the echo chamber of conservative media.
"The conservative entertainment news complex has constructed an alternative reality so all-encompassing that the chance of conservatives happening on any sort of good news is virtually nil," USA Today contributor and National Memo columnist Jason Sattler wrote on Thursday. "Hosts teach their viewers how to debunk anything Democrats might claim as an accomplishment and make sure they believe six terrible things about Obama before breakfast."
Suffolk's pollsters asked, "When it comes to the economy, do you think we are in an economic recovery, stagnation, recession, or depression?"
Overall, 38% of respondents said a recovery; 35% said stagnation; 12% said recession; and 8% said depression. CNN and MSNBC regulars were more bullish.
But Fox viewers were the opposite. Only 11% of Fox loyalists said America is in an economic recovery; 50% said stagnation; 19% said recession; and 13% said depression.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Am I in the total minority of cable news viewers this election cycle who watches Fox, CNN, and MSNBC all at some point in the day? I like to hear the different perspectives and form my own conclusions based on the actual plans of the candidates, not the opinions of the talking heads on any particular channel.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
My favorite study is the one that showed that people who watch Fox News are less educated on world events than people who watch no news at all.

Am I in the total minority of cable news viewers this election cycle who watches Fox, CNN, and MSNBC all at some point in the day? I like to hear the different perspectives and form my own conclusions based on the actual plans of the candidates, not the opinions of the talking heads on any particular channel.
Probably. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not a fan of political propaganda masquerading as "news". Now that AJ America is off the air, there isn't a single show on cable news that's remotely worth watching for informational purposes. They're all a couple strippers and a baby's daddy away from being a day time talk show.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
My favorite study is the one that showed that people who watch Fox News are less educated on world events than people who watch no news at all.

Probably. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not a fan of political propaganda masquerading as "news". Now that AJ America is off the air, there isn't a single show on cable news that's remotely worth watching for informational purposes. They're all a couple strippers and a baby's daddy away from being a day time talk show.

I don't watch them at all outside of elections. I've only been watching the past few months in the background at work because they televise the speeches from both candidates' rallies and I like to see how stupid and uninformed these candidates think I am. Only one has really made me feel that way. You can probably guess which.

Soundwave

Terribly Vexed
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I do this as well and it is amazing how the news and entire world is different from channel to another.

OP
Domefan504

Domefan504

SR is my life!
Reaction score

Found the study

The Science of Fox News: Why Its Viewers Are the Most Misinformed | Alternet

http://www.inquisitr.com/2105906/fo...mers-says-new-study-by-former-reagan-adviser/

This study comes from a former Reagan adviser.

UncleTrvlingJim

Administrator
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, I believe 24 hour news coverage makes us all dumber. You're better off reading a weekly periodical that puts things into context. Our brains evolved to deal with immediate issues, so when you watch the news, at deep emotional level, it all feels more immediate than it probably is. A kid being kidnapped in Saskatchewan? Quick, protect our children in Albany!!! And so on...

OP
Domefan504

Domefan504

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Honestly, I believe 24 hour news coverage makes us all dumber. You're better off reading a weekly periodical that puts things into context. Our brains evolved to deal with immediate issues, so when you watch the news, at deep emotional level, it all feels more immediate than it probably is. A kid being kidnapped in Saskatchewan? Quick, protect our children in Albany!!! And so on...

And what about the internet? Are the views the same for you?

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Guess it depends on what you are viewing. Trump has put a lot of time and effort into Twitter and Facebook. Of course we all know the majority of what's on Facebook is complete bull and twitter is quite possibly worse as it's nothing more than attention getting quotes. That whole factchecking/ multiple sources/ reliable site stuff for most people is still very much in its infancy.

Now if people are fans of the political discussion board and could hang with how a topic needs to be proven or pummeled to death, then I'd say your honesty in media is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom