FoxSports ranks Chris Ivory as the best available FA Runningback (2 Viewers)

saintsfan26

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
NFL Free Agency: Week two’s top available players by position

Running Back: Chris Ivory

There are a few names out there at running back that call for deep consideration.

Ivory is a restricted free agent which means that someone will have to cough up a second-round pick to the Saints to get him on board.

Ivory dealt with a hamstring issue in 2012 that kept him in and out of the lineup in 2012.

At 26-years-old, Ivory has plenty of upside.

In three seasons with New Orleans he is averaging 5.1 yards per carry and he can catch out of the backfield.
Pretty good article. They rank the top 2 free agents at each position. Ivory definitely has some good selling points. I wonder if anybody has shown interest in him yet. I think if we get offered a 4th rounder or better, we gotta take it. I love Ivory, but we have too many runningbacks. Something has got to give. If we keep Ivory this year, I dont see any way that we can also keep Cadet. We have too many holes in other positions like defense and the o-line. 5 runningbacks is just too many.

Anyways, i just wanted to share this article just to show that we are not the only ones who recognize Ivory's talents. Other teams and the media are well aware of Ivory. Its only a matter of time before we get an offer for him.

Im suprised he hasnt got much trade interest (maybe he has, who knows).

I was watching some Ivory Hightlights the other day. Dude is just a monster, I love the way he runs. He is a tone setter, go see how he set the tone in the 1st Falcons game last season. I think Payton knows this and it's why we didnt let him hit the street.

In the article, it says he can catch balls out of the backfield. I thought one of the knocks on him was that he wasn't a good receiver out of the backfield, the other being he wasn't good in pass protection. So is he or is he not good at receiving out of the backfield?

NFL Free Agency: Week two’s top available players by position

Pretty good article. They rank the top 2 free agents at each position. Ivory definitely has some good selling points. I wonder if anybody has shown interest in him yet. I think if we get offered a 4th rounder or better, we gotta take it. I love Ivory, but we have too many runningbacks. Something has got to give. If we keep Ivory this year, I dont see any way that we can also keep Cadet. We have too many holes in other positions like defense and the o-line. 5 runningbacks is just too many.

Anyways, i just wanted to share this article just to show that we are not the only ones who recognize Ivory's talents. Other teams and the media are well aware of Ivory. Its only a matter of time before we get an offer for him.

My thought on this is after we went looking on the streets for running backs to play that Seattle playoff game.....5 running backs are not too many.

Plus Cadet maybe transitioned to a full time WR if Devery is not brought back and I believe he played some WR in college along with a host of other positions. I really do not look at Cadet as a RB more of a utility player. I know folks say he has great potential which we saw during preseason and other than the one TD play that was called back for a penalty Cadet didn't do anything really spectacular during the regular season. I like Cadet but I hope Ivory is in black and gold and proves he deserves a long term contract.

I truly believe with Payton back all of the running backs will be used more and used appropriately.

They consider him to be a better option than Ahmad Bradshaw, which I think is very good praise.

In the article, it says he can catch balls out of the backfield. I thought one of the knocks on him was that he wasn't a good receiver out of the backfield, the other being he wasn't good in pass protection. So is he or is he not good at receiving out of the backfield?

He hasnt caught the ball much here, and when seeing it, it doesnt look natural for him. It's not that he cant catch, I just dont think he has much experience with it. He wasnt on the field a lot in college.

He seems OK is pass pro, not great, not terrible.

We should trade him for whatever we can get IMO. He's just not going to get much playing time in our offense with all the guys we have here.

He needs to go to a team that can get him 15 to 20 touches a game... and that ain't gonna happen here.

If we can get a solid defensive player or a mid round pick for him... we should jump on that.

JMO.

He hasnt caught the ball much here, and when seeing it, it doesnt look natural for him. It's not that he cant catch, I just dont think he has much experience with it. He wasnt on the field a lot in college.

He seems OK is pass pro, not great, not terrible.

Cool, thanks, I couldn't really remember him ever catching one out of the backfield here (not saying he hasn't just saying it's rare) so I just couldn't understand why they said that.

The pass protection thing may be true, but he doesn't exactly get a lot of chances on third down. last year we were so predictable when he was in it was an automatic run except for maybe two times we did a PA, one I believe ended up a TD.

He did have a 76 yard TD reception a couple of years ago...I think it was a preseason game. I think he can catch but PT and Sproles have the best hands out of the RB position so he doesn't get a lot of chances. Ingram doesn't get a lot in comparison to PT and Sproles either.

Ivory is my favorite back on the team. i love all of em, but the way he runs gets me pumped every time i see him lined up. you shoulda seen me last year on the 50 somethin yard td run against the falcons. my pops calls it a "sportsgasm"

The pass protection thing may be true, but he doesn't exactly get a lot of chances on third down and last year we were so predictable when he was in it was an automatic run except for maybe two times we did a PA, one I believe ended up n a TD.

He did have a 76 yard TD reception a couple of years ago...I think it was a preseason game. I think he can catch but PT and Sproles have the best hands out of the RB position so he doesn't get a lot of chances. Ingram doesn't get a lot in comparison to PT and Sproles either.

Every time someone says he can't catch out of the backfield that play immediately comes to mind. Ivory is so dangerous in space, there isn't a DB out there who looks forward to that matchup.

Beast

thats why they put that second round on him, they not letting him go for nothing

Agreed. If nobody wants this beast, we'll use him. I think Payton would have used him more last year if he was on the sidelines... There were games when I was screaming "put Ivory back in and pound that muther!" We gave up the run too much when he was feeling himself.

Good luck to him if he moves on. God help you if he stays.

He's not

He has like 2 career receptions in 3 years.

It's safe to say that's not just a fluke.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom