Franchise QB = Two Hands Tied (1 Viewer)

drew will restructure. I don't believe he's worth every cent though. The past 2 yrs he's thrown 31 ints. In 3 yrs hes thrown 54 ints. Is that worth 20% cap space a yr? I don't think so. If he throws more than 10 this yr we seriously need to reevaluate him.

lmao

Elite QBs win super bowls, hence they are paid so much. Big Ben is the last non-elite QB to win one, and it can be argued that the Refs really won that one for him. When game managers start winning superbowls, you will see a shift in the front office priorities, like the shift in RB value the last few years.

Its not a stretch to see that having a franchise QB is going to cripple a team in terms of Free Agency for years to come. Looking at all the teams with good QB's, none of them are players in FA this year. But looking at a bunch of other teams with great up and comers, they're going off in FA. Its killing me. The Colts have a ton of cap space... because Luck doesn't cost anything yet and they are releasing their vets over the past year and this year. We're screwed in a couple years once Drew's cap numbers go up. The Ravens sign Flacco and immediately don't want to pay for Kruger, Reed, Boldin and Pitta. C'mon! These are great players at thier position and they are being undervalued because their QB's are being (flame on) overvalued. Drew is worth every cent we pay him. But with only taking up 1.92% of the active roster space, he accounts for almost 20% (average cap number based on average salary) of our cap space. That's a bit much. I blame this on agents and agents alone. Luckily, the CB market came down finally after Nhamdi and Revis' blowout contracts. Things have begun to chill on the WR contracts after Larry and Megatron got their crazy deals.

Advantage: SF, Indy, Seattle, etc where teams can have a playmaking QB and have money to hire real football players everywhere else.

Great stuff. In the NFL = Parity

Elite QBs win super bowls, hence they are paid so much. Big Ben is the last non-elite QB to win one, and it can be argued that the Refs really won that one for him. When game managers start winning superbowls, you will see a shift in the front office priorities, like the shift in RB value the last few years.

If Big Ben is not elite which I agree, it's safe to say Eli isn't either. They're clutch QBs. That's only reason they've won was because their D was outstanding and they made the plays that count. But to say they're high profile? Put them on another team and lets see how they do?

No one here is saying Drew DOESN'T DESERVE to be paid like he is, but when you step back and look AT THE TEAM, these QB salaries are really hurting and will only get worse. Drew showed us last year a QB CAN NOT WIN BY HIMSELF, it takes a TEAM and staff to win. I don't care about signing all the big name FA's out there, but we do need a lot of help on defense, and a LT which we can not afford.

Not sure why it only listed the Top 7 highest paid QB's of last year but of the 7 only 2 of the highest paid QB's made the playoffs and both lost in the first round.

1. Peyton Manning 18 mil (Playoffs)
2. Sam Bradford 15.6 mil
3. Phillip Rivers 15.3 mil
4. Michael Vick 13.9 mil
5. Eli Manning 11.9 mil
6. Matt Shaub 11 mil (Playoffs)
7. Drew Brees 10.4 mil

A cap at each position should be put in place. That would stop a lot of these crazy salaries...

Great stuff. In the NFL = Parity

Which is why I believe Seattle will have a great yr. here's the thing... Every SB, theirs a high profile team in it and there's the other team. Giants vs almighty Pats 2x, steelers vs cardinals, colts vs saints, balty vs SF, GB vs steelers, Indy vs Chicago. Ill say the high profile team comes from AFC. With parity, Seattle is in a great place to get there. Every team that wins it was 9-7 or 8-8 ATS. Seattle was 11-5 ATS this yr. they're not repeating that but I bet if you bet on them SU they'll win you money. I think they'll go 8-8 ATS this yr.

I can't believe what I am reading. The most single important posiiton on team is qb. We have someone at their peak who is the best qb NO has ever had and a future HOFer. Some of you are complaining bc we can't play in Free Agency we should question the contract given to Drew Brees. Look what a diffence Manning was to the Broncos. As Buddy D said many years ago, the Saints house has squirrels in the attic.

I agree with just about everything you said. I don't agree with the following sentence:
Look what a diffence Manning was to the Broncos.

They won a playoff game in 2011, they didn't in 2012.

Not sure it's been addressed in pages 2 and 3 yet, but Indy, Seattle and SF won't have that money for long. When those rookie contracts are up, they'll be in cap hell. Kaepernick still has what, 2 years left on his (assuming it was 4-years, I don't remember) ad Luck/Wilson both have 3 left (again, assuming they had 4-year deals)?

Both Sea and SF got somewhat lucky w/their qb selections in the draft. Let's see how these two rookies perform in their sophmore years. SF go rid of their veteran qb and SEA is trying to get rid of Flynn. Come back on this board and speak to the low paid qb after next year if these two guys and others like them slump.

If Brees ate sacks at the same rate as the more elite Aaron Rodgers to avoid throwing picks, would this make his passer rating the best of all time, and ppl can blame the OL and award Brees the league MVP??

Both Sea and SF got somewhat lucky w/their qb selections in the draft. Let's see how these two rookies perform in their sophmore years. SF go rid of their veteran qb and SEA is trying to get rid of Flynn. Come back on this board and speak to the low paid qb after next year if these two guys and others like them slump.

Kap was not a rookie.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom