Franchise QB = Two Hands Tied (2 Viewers)

Agreed!!! If he throws 14 INTS, let's just cut his *** and see who's out there on the FA market or who we could get in a trade.. I'm sure Tebow or Sanchez will be available..

come-one-man-take-it-easy-thumb.jpg
90% of Drew's int's are not his fought. You have to give the guys on the other team some credit, that's what they get paid for. Our receivers get a mental block at times too. I would pay Drew what he makes and more too if I had to. Without Drew we would not have won a SB or stayed in contention every season he has been under center.

Ask the Cardinals, Browns, Jets etc etc if they'd like to have our problem.

Ask the Cardinals, Browns, Jets etc etc if they'd like to have our problem.

Which brings up another point. People think if we didnt have Brees we'd just have all this money free. But the evidence suggests that teams not paying a Drew Brees or Tom Brady $20 million a year, are still spending $12-$15 million a year trying to find one (Sanchez, Kolb, Fitzpatrick for the Bills, etc).

Unless you have a guy on a rookie deal, you're going to be committed to 8 figures for the QB spot one way or another it seems.

Something will have to be done about the growing QB salaries at some point in the future. The cap simply can't keep up. I'm positive that Aaron Rogers will set the new threshold at about 25m per year. Before you know it, a franchise QB will cost you 30m per year.

Agreed. Rodgers is going to demand a HUGE contract. It'll be #s we havent seen before.

I agree with just about everything you said. I don't agree with the following sentence:

They won a playoff game in 2011, they didn't in 2012.
I knew if I kept reading someone would say it. Sorry Tebow got the Broncos more playoff wins than Manning.

That would allow every team to be in the FA sweepstakes for the big ticket players each year.:9:

Not really. Say we designate Drew as that player, he wouldn't count against the cap for the whole duration. But as long as he is here, we still only have x amount of dollars to spend on everyone else. It would be pick one player and use him for the life of the contract. I'm sure you could lower the cap just a tad (or slow it's projected increase), and of course the owners would vote for it because it gives them more money in their pocket, but also more money for 1 player per team. ( so realistically the owners are just spending that money they just got back, and the players get more).

First of all, anyone questioning Brees' ability is just ill-informed. He is a first ballot hall of famer!! Franchise quarterbacks cost what the market dictates. Every team in the league is trying to find that guy and would be willing to pay that player whatever the market dictates. You cannot win consistantly without that player.

Solution:
Every team is allowed to take 1 contract and designate it as a max cap player. Which would mean he cannot count anymore then say 12% against the cap even if he's making 20%. Solved.

Or this.

I hear your logic but I disagree. The QB is the heart and soul of the modern NFL team. To even stand a chance at competing for a title without a franchise QB you have to have a top 3 defense paired with a top 3 running back. You have to get turnovers and keep games low scoring. You can do that with a lot of teams but when you play teams like New England, New Orleans, Atlanta, and GB that are going to score in bunches it's hard to keep pace without a franchise QB. That's not saying it can't be done but it isn't easy.

Having a true franchise QB allows a team a lot of flexibility in their game plans In the sense that you can eye up your opponent and attack whatever weakness they have because said opponent can't just key in on one facet of your attack. They stack the box you pass. They double cover the WR's hit the screen/run. Having that franchise QB that has the skills to read/react to what the defense is giving him again affords you the ability to adjust your plans : target the easiest method to obtain positive plays. The true franchise QB is the ultimate chess piece to have in the NFL. If you have a highly intelligent and accurate one like Drew Brees or Tom Brady you can surround them with nearly decent talent and they will get them the ball in situations where they can make plays. That's not the rule because Aaron Rogers is mobile and accurate he doesn't have the quick decision read and react abilities that Brees and Brady have but he moves around till a situation avails it's self. Rogers is a joy to watch play because I don't think he ever really knows where he is going with a ball he just buys time and hits the guy covered by the weakest link. Brady and Brees are pre snap tecs they get there pieces lined up the way they want them I'd their 1st 2nd 3rd 4th options prior to snap and then progress very quickly thru reads and let the ball fly In a couple of seconds. I hate him but even on half a neck Peyton Manning is the master it's probably why he has half a neck but he will stand in there for what seems like an eternity moving all his routs all around till he gets that perfect slant and that is in combination with all the pre-read stuff that Brady and Brees do.

Yes franchise QB's are way overpaid but that is what the market is for them. They don't fall off trees. I would say of the 32 teams only 4 or 5 truly have franchise QB's. I think 2 more teams are on the Cusp (Atlanta and the Seahawks) then they have about 5 other teams with sub-par franchise QB's and the teams with the Subpar Franchise QB's can win any year if they get good play out of their Defenses. Guys like Big Ben and Matt Schnab, Eli Manning and yes even Tony Romo. They are not the accuracy decision making machines that the other guys are but they don't make many mistakes and pull off great plays that compliment what their teammates do on defense .

Bottom line, if you have a true franchise QB say one of the 5 soon to be 6 because luck may be one pretty quickly. You have a legit shot to win in any season almost with any combination of players around them because defensive coordinators have difficulties gam planing you because the whole field is in play. I would much rather have one even if it cost the lost player here and there and never being able to be a march champion. I would pay any price to have that because its rare a march champion ends up a real champ. The teams that are Super Bowl champs have the QB. Free agency is nothing more than finding a bargain here a role player there.

There is no way to quantify the value that franchise QB gives you so in conclusion at least how I see it they are worth every penny you can pay them because they don't Hamstring you they allow you to compete for a championship in any given year and that can't be priced.

Last edited:
First of all, anyone questioning Brees' ability is just ill-informed. He is a first ballot hall of famer!! Franchise quarterbacks cost what the market dictates. Every team in the league is trying to find that guy and would be willing to pay that player whatever the market dictates. You cannot win consistantly without that player.

Solution:
Every team is allowed to take 1 contract and designate it as a max cap player. Which would mean he cannot count anymore then say 12% against the cap even if he's making 20%. Solved.

You could even make it a variant of the bird rule in basketball, where it kicks in if its a renegotiation, but not for a free agent player.

This lessens the chance of it being used by a big market team to poach an elite player (say Jimmy Graham next year), which guarantees that pretty much the only player it'll be used on will be franchise QBs.

The NFL has gone through a lot of effort to centerpiece the league around QBs, keeping the, readily identified with one franchise is a win for them.

NFL teams can't let said centerpiece player just walk, they know they'll pay whatever he demands anyways, so this is a clear win for them.

QBs have to be getting sick of taking image hits for getting fair market value. There's some risk in that this decreases their leverage somewhat, but they could still threaten to just walk for 1 year deal elsewhere and execute their "Brady provision" there.

And other players have to love it. Nobody on the Saints wants to see Brees go elsewhere, even if it costs $20 mil to keep him. But they wouldn't ind seeing $5-$8 mil of that be spent elsewhere if possible,

Drew will restructure. I don't believe he's worth every cent though. The past 2 yrs he's thrown 31 INTs. In 3 yrs hes thrown 54 INTs. Is that worth 20% cap space a yr? I don't think so. If he throws more than 10 this yr we seriously need to reevaluate him.

Haha yeah, Lets just pick up Matt Hasselbeck and Jamarcus Russel so he can have a couple years to learn.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom