Franchise QB = Two Hands Tied (1 Viewer)

JimmyB1775

Guy behind the guy
Reaction score
Its not a stretch to see that having a franchise QB is going to cripple a team in terms of Free Agency for years to come. Looking at all the teams with good QB's, none of them are players in FA this year. But looking at a bunch of other teams with great up and comers, they're going off in FA. Its killing me. The Colts have a ton of cap space... because Luck doesn't cost anything yet and they are releasing their vets over the past year and this year. We're screwed in a couple years once Drew's cap numbers go up. The Ravens sign Flacco and immediately don't want to pay for Kruger, Reed, Boldin and Pitta. C'mon! These are great players at thier position and they are being undervalued because their QB's are being (flame on) overvalued. Drew is worth every cent we pay him. But with only taking up 1.92% of the active roster space, he accounts for almost 20% (average cap number based on average salary) of our cap space. That's a bit much. I blame this on agents and agents alone. Luckily, the CB market came down finally after Nhamdi and Revis' blowout contracts. Things have begun to chill on the WR contracts after Larry and Megatron got their crazy deals.

Advantage: SF, Indy, Seattle, etc where teams can have a playmaking QB and have money to hire real football players everywhere else.

Its not a stretch to see that having a franchise QB is going to cripple a team in terms of Free Agency for years to come. Looking at all the teams with good QB's, none of them are players in FA this year. But looking at a bunch of other teams with great up and comers, they're going off in FA. Its killing me. The Colts have a ton of cap space... because Luck doesn't cost anything yet and they are releasing their vets over the past year and this year. We're screwed in a couple years once Drew's cap numbers go up. The Ravens sign Flacco and immediately don't want to pay for Kruger, Reed, Boldin and Pitta. C'mon! These are great players at thier position and they are being undervalued because their QB's are being (flame on) overvalued. Drew is worth every cent we pay him. But with only taking up 1.92% of the active roster space, he accounts for almost 20% (average cap number based on average salary) of our cap space. That's a bit much. I blame this on agents and agents alone. Luckily, the CB market came down finally after Nhamdi and Revis' blowout contracts. Things have begun to chill on the WR contracts after Larry and Megatron got their crazy deals.

Advantage: SF, Indy, Seattle, etc where teams can have a playmaking QB and have money to hire real football players everywhere else.

Drew will restructure. I don't believe he's worth every cent though. The past 2 yrs he's thrown 31 INTs. In 3 yrs hes thrown 54 INTs. Is that worth 20% cap space a yr? I don't think so. If he throws more than 10 this yr we seriously need to reevaluate him.

What's your point?

I'd rather have the elite QB, win 11-13 games a year, and have a shot every season to win it all vs. getting to spend a bunch of money in FA every year.

I can't believe what I am reading. The most single important posiiton on team is qb. We have someone at their peak who is the best qb NO has ever had and a future HOFer. Some of you are complaining bc we can't play in Free Agency we should question the contract given to Drew Brees. Look what a diffence Manning was to the Broncos. As Buddy D said many years ago, the Saints house has squirrels in the attic.

The league needs to put exemptions in place. One per team, for one player only that will not count against the salary cap.

Drew will restructure. I don't believe he's worth every cent though. The past 2 yrs he's thrown 31 INTs. In 3 yrs hes thrown 54 INTs. Is that worth 20% cap space a yr? I don't think so. If he throws more than 10 this yr we seriously need to reevaluate him.

Agreed!!! If he throws 14 INTS, let's just cut his *** and see who's out there on the FA market or who we could get in a trade.. I'm sure Tebow or Sanchez will be available..

come-one-man-take-it-easy-thumb.jpg

What's your point?

I'd rather have the elite QB, win 11-13 games a year, and have a shot every season to win it all vs. getting to spend a bunch of money in FA every year.

This
Also, Your advataged teams have not won a single superbowl with their "playmaking" QBs and "real football players everywhere else."

Looking at all the teams with good QB's, none of them are players in FA this year.
Patriots and Broncos? And the Patriots have been strong in FA for years. They never get the most expensive guys, but they work the middle tier and the cast-offs like no one else.

Agreed!!! If he throws 14 INTS, let's just cut his *** and see who's out there on the FA market or who we could get in a trade.. I'm sure Tebow or Sanchez will be available..

:covri::covri::covri::covri::covri::covri::covri::covri::covri::covri::covri::covri::covri::covri::covri::covri::covri:

Lol I said reevaluate him meaning contract. Hey I believe he'll get us another ring. This yr though? No but we lock up and win the south. But if we paid him 15% of cap that's open a lot more doors would it not? I'm not saying he's not a great QB or he's not elite. I'm saying his performance last 3 yrs has been above avg but not superb.

Lol I said reevaluate him meaning contract. Hey I believe he'll get us another ring. This yr though? No but we lock up and win the south. But if we paid him 15% of cap that's open a lot more doors would it not? I'm not saying he's not a great QB or he's not elite. I'm saying his performance last 3 yrs has been above avg but not superb.

You people always try to justify your opinions with such subjective nonsense. He is one year sperated from setting the single season passing record. Okay, last year he did not do as well as the previous three. However, he is a top 5 qb and top five qb's make $20 million per year in today's market. In addition, I just did some math and he is at 16% of cap not 20%.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom