Franchise QB = Two Hands Tied (2 Viewers)

Something will have to be done about the growing QB salaries at some point in the future. The cap simply can't keep up. I'm positive that Aaron Rogers will set the new threshold at about 25m per year. Before you know it, a franchise QB will cost you 30m per year.

Actually I made a mistake. His cap # this year is $17.3 million. That puts him at 14% of total cap. Satisfied.

WHOA!!!! Nobody said I'd rather spend like an Eagle during FA than have Drew. I'd take drew 7 days a week, especially on Sunday. That being said, the salaries we have on this team are higher than the cap. If salaries had to fit the cap in the current year, as well in future years, it would be impossible. Based on our cap numbers 4 years from now, we're proabably around 140 or 150. But thats the league. Cut players before they cost too much. This has to come back and bite teams in the bum. Everyone is just kiting checks.

Actually I made a mistake. His cap # this year is $17.3 million. That puts him at 14% of total cap. Satisfied.

I wasn't talking real numbers. I was shooting for an average because his low number now is a high number later. I was trying to make a simple point without doing a ton of research at 8am.

Drew will restructure. I don't believe he's worth every cent though. The past 2 yrs he's thrown 31 INTs. In 3 yrs hes thrown 54 INTs. Is that worth 20% cap space a yr? I don't think so. If he throws more than 10 this yr we seriously need to reevaluate him.

Have you absolutely lost it? Reevaluate him if he throws more than 10 ints? I am not sure you follow the NFL. Also, if you do not have a FA QB, you typically do not win consistently. Personally, I do not think spending big $$$ in free agency is more exciting than a Lombardi trophy.

WHOA!!!! Nobody said I'd rather spend like an Eagle during FA than have Drew. I'd take drew 7 days a week, especially on Sunday. That being said, the salaries we have on this team are higher than the cap. If salaries had to fit the cap in the current year, as well in future years, it would be impossible. Based on our cap numbers 4 years from now, we're proabably around 140 or 150. But thats the league. Cut players before they cost too much. This has to come back and bite teams in the bum. Everyone is just kiting checks.

What are you an accounant or something? It is not that simple. I am very confident that the FO will continue to put the best product on the field and stay within the cap. You do realize that under the new CBA teams have to spend 90% ( I thnk that is right)of cap on players salaries?

Its not a stretch to see that having a franchise QB is going to cripple a team in terms of Free Agency for years to come. Looking at all the teams with good QB's, none of them are players in FA this year. But looking at a bunch of other teams with great up and comers, they're going off in FA. Its killing me. The Colts have a ton of cap space... because Luck doesn't cost anything yet and they are releasing their vets over the past year and this year. We're screwed in a couple years once Drew's cap numbers go up. The Ravens sign Flacco and immediately don't want to pay for Kruger, Reed, Boldin and Pitta. C'mon! These are great players at thier position and they are being undervalued because their QB's are being (flame on) overvalued. Drew is worth every cent we pay him. But with only taking up 1.92% of the active roster space, he accounts for almost 20% (average cap number based on average salary) of our cap space. That's a bit much. I blame this on agents and agents alone. Luckily, the CB market came down finally after Nhamdi and Revis' blowout contracts. Things have begun to chill on the WR contracts after Larry and Megatron got their crazy deals.

Advantage: SF, Indy, Seattle, etc where teams can have a playmaking QB and have money to hire real football players everywhere else.

Not a popular opinion although you're 100% correct... Last year we lost nicks and Meach n this year, we lost Daniel and Bushrod... Two pretty important guys especially because we'll probably have to replace our back up QB with a rookie FA...

I'm surprised the union didnt put a max per player cuz all the middle guys are getting squeezed... There was absolutely ZERO way you don't sign Drew or another good qb because the alternative is devastating but as soon as you have one guy making 20% of your cap, your window closed a lil more then before.. But not signing your franchise QB closes it even more then that...

As you astutely stated, the teams with the best chance are the teams with the very good up and coming QB who is still playing his 1st contract...

Every team is paying one or two guys "franchise money". You realize the niners have less cap space tan us (depending on Keenan's cap hit).

Drew will restructure. I don't believe he's worth every cent though. The past 2 yrs he's thrown 31 INTs. In 3 yrs hes thrown 54 INTs. Is that worth 20% cap space a yr? I don't think so. If he throws more than 10 this yr we seriously need to reevaluate him.

Lol I said reevaluate him meaning contract. Hey I believe he'll get us another ring. This yr though? No but we lock up and win the south. But if we paid him 15% of cap that's open a lot more doors would it not? I'm not saying he's not a great QB or he's not elite. I'm saying his performance last 3 yrs has been above avg but not superb.

You bring up the interceptions, but fail to mention the 15,273 yards and 122 touchdown passes he's thrown that past three years. And that is "above avg but not superb" to you? :covri:

This was one of his worst years for INTs and he still ended up in the top 10 for TD/Int ratio.

Last year he was #3.

The year before that he was dealing with the knee? injury and that's the only really bad year he had.

The league needs to put exemptions in place. One per team, for one player only that will not count against the salary cap.
Actually, this is already in place and its for more than one player. I don't know the exact number that can count towards this, but any veteran with a certain amount of years and is making vet minimum doesn't count against the cap. I don't know if its only a certain amount of vets that can only be excluded from the cap number, but I know it happens. And 5 vets making vet minimum might add up to between 3 and 4 million, that's still good enough to get a nice young player or two each year.

DREW BREES THREW SOME INTERCEPTIONS. WE SHOULD CUT THE NFL SINGLE SEASON YARDAGE RECORD HOLDER, THE ONLY QB WITH MULTIPLE 5K YARD SEASONS, THE ONLY QB WITH MULTIPLE 40TD SEASONS, THE SUPERBOWL 44 MVP, AND JUST SIGN KEVIN KOLB FOR CHEAP.

Come on. Interceptions? Really? Because he throws some picks you think he's not worth his contract??? What are you smoking?

Actually, this is already in place and its for more than one player. I don't know the exact number that can count towards this, but any veteran with a certain amount of years and is making vet minimum doesn't count against the cap. I don't know if its only a certain amount of vets that can only be excluded from the cap number, but I know it happens. And 5 vets making vet minimum might add up to between 3 and 4 million, that's still good enough to get a nice young player or two each year.

Yeah, but I'm talking about a franchise player exemption. one huge contract.

Isn't his INTs the reson why Rogers beat him out of an MVP??? I'm not dissing the guy and yes his pass yards are phenomenal and why I say he'll bring us another ring. Do I watch football?? Lol why yes I do and I have a good idea how it works which is why I gamble on it. Regardless Drew is a great elite QB. But we play as team. So if you pay one player too much it ends up hurting you as a team. That's all I'm saying.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom