Franchise tag....still not clear. (1 Viewer)

saintlad

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Can someone explain the benefit of Franchise Tag ?? How it helps the owners? I get why players hate it.

Does the salary of the tagged player count fully to the team salary cap ?? Team is in Cap trouble, still able to hold on to player ,they want, for at least a year until Cap is fixed ???

I know it would be dumb to tag someone like Bridgewater, because the cost would not justify his role on the team.

but what about other players like Armstead, Peat ? Ingram's tag would be in the 10-15 million range (to high). Would Peat be tagged as a guard? or tackle??

Can someone explain why franchise tag ? and who would be likely candidate for Saints? Basically the Franchise tag For Dummies version...thanks

We picked up Peat's fifth year option, IIRC. You can't tag a player who's under contract, only a player who's a FA and you haven't been able to work out a deal. I don't think we have anyone we'd be using the tag on this year off the top of my head. Peat would be a G if tagged next year for whatever reason since he's played the majority of his snaps there.

Can someone explain the benefit of Franchise Tag ?? How it helps the owners? I get why players hate it.

It helps the owners by keeping their player on the team rather than allowing them to play for another team for at least one more season. When a player is tagged he can still negotiate with other teams, but if he signs with another team... lets say we tag Drew, and Drew signs with the Giants, then the Giants would have to compensate the Saints. The price tag is normally two first rounders but that can be negotiated to whatever the Saints would accept. The tag also buys the team time to sign the tagged player to a long-term extension. I can't remember the date... but a team that tags a player has until like October to negotiate a long term deal. After that date the team can't negotiate, and the player plays the remainder of the season under the tag.

Players hate it because its a one-year deal, and if they get hurt during that season it could affect their ability to earn that top dollar from their next contract. That's why they always say "insurance" and "protection" when it comes to the tag.

Does the salary of the tagged player count fully to the team salary cap ?? Team is in Cap trouble, still able to hold on to player ,they want, for at least a year until Cap is fixed ???

Yes the tag price counts 100% towards the cap. If a player has a 20 million cap number then that whole 20 mill counts against the cap. The team would need to do what they need to do in order to fit that tag price in their cap.

I know it would be dumb to tag someone like Bridgewater, because the cost would not justify his role on the team.

You can use the transitional tag on him, which takes an average of the top 10 players at his position. The "real" franchise tag takes the avg of the top 5 players, and the rules are different as far as compensation in the event the player signs a contract with another team. Signing Teddy B to the transitional tag would give the Saints a chance to match any contract that he would sign with another team. The Saints would have 7 days after Teddy signs with someone else to decide whether they want to match. I don't know if the Saints would get compensation if he leaves. I'd have to google it.

but what about other players like Armstead, Peat ? Ingram's tag would be in the 10-15 million range (to high). Would Peat be tagged as a guard? or tackle??

Any player can be tagged... and the tag price would be the avg of the top 5, but that's a GREAT question about Peat. Is he due a contract this year though? I thought we had the 5th year option this year as a first rounder. maybe not?

Player gets paid the average of the top 5 players and his position.
QB for 2019 is 25 mil.

It helps the owners by keeping their player on the team rather than allowing them to play for another team for at least one more season. When a player is tagged he can still negotiate with other teams, but if he signs with another team... lets say we tag Drew, and Drew signs with the Giants, then the Giants would have to compensate the Saints. The price tag is normally two first rounders but that can be negotiated to whatever the Saints would accept. The tag also buys the team time to sign the tagged player to a long-term extension. I can't remember the date... but a team that tags a player has until like October to negotiate a long term deal. After that date the team can't negotiate, and the player plays the remainder of the season under the tag.

Players hate it because its a one-year deal, and if they get hurt during that season it could affect their ability to earn that top dollar from their next contract. That's why they always say "insurance" and "protection" when it comes to the tag.

Yes the tag price counts 100% towards the cap. If a player has a 20 million cap number then that whole 20 mill counts against the cap. The team would need to do what they need to do in order to fit that tag price in their cap.

You can use the transitional tag on him, which takes an average of the top 10 players at his position. The "real" franchise tag takes the avg of the top 5 players, and the rules are different as far as compensation in the event the player signs a contract with another team. Signing Teddy B to the transitional tag would give the Saints a chance to match any contract that he would sign with another team. The Saints would have 7 days after Teddy signs with someone else to decide whether they want to match. I don't know if the Saints would get compensation if he leaves. I'd have to google it.

Any player can be tagged... and the tag price would be the avg of the top 5, but that's a GREAT question about Peat. Is he due a contract this year though? I thought we had the 5th year option this year as a first rounder. maybe not?

Thanks, love the explanations. Someone stated that Peat's 5th year option was picked up. So no tag for him.

There's two types of franchise tags... the exclusive, and the non-exclusive.

• An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams. The player's team has all the negotiating rights to the exclusive player.
  • A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five cap hits at the player's position for the previous five years applied to the current salary cap, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

Using the latest bargaining agreement, an owner can draft a franchise QB chosen in the first round and pay him a small amount his first four yrs then use the fifth year option on him at a slightly larger salary, then franchise him for 3 years where no team would trade off 2 first round picks plus pay him beaucoup money.

It sounds like the owners can use these options to keep total control of franchise players that may or not want to even play for that owner, for up to 8 years.

There's also the multiple tag scenario. In the event a tag has been applied previously, (even by another team) then i believe it's an increase of 120 %. The next time it increases by 140%, if I'm not mistaken. Drew, having been tagged once by san diego before he got here, was due 120% of his final year's contract for playing under the tag, when the Saints tagged him. If we tagged him again, it'd be 140% of his last year's contracted pay. All due that year.

I'm sure someone will correct me, if my memory is shoddy. Lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom