Franchise Tag (1 Viewer)

MrSt0nEd

Thank You #26
Reaction score
Could someone pls explain to me what does it mean?
i thought when a player gets the franchise tag that means he's done from looking else where,, he belongs to the franchise for good based on the contract.. or not ??

for example, Asante Samuel, i thought by him signing a 1-year contract last season with the Pats for $7.79 M that he's not a franchise player,,, but apparently i'm wrong since i read that he was tagged for 1 year ($7 Mil)...

im confused,, could someone explain it for me plllls

I think it's a contract where they take the adverage of the ammount oyu were paid every year of you contractand pay you that for one year, and it takes away your option to be picked up by another team or to make as much money as you should if you have been playing well and not making a lot of money for a while. I think the team canonly do it once to a player though. That may not be 100 % rightr but that's what i remember reading somewhere

its a method of protection for teams.

if a guy like say samuel is going to be a free agent and the team and samuel cannot agree on a contract the team can offer him a franchise contract for one year. the salary is that of an average of the top five paid players at the position in the nfl. the player must sign it or sit out a year.

that way, both parties can play for one year and work on either a trade or a new contract

if a guy like say samuel is going to be a free agent and the team and samuel cannot agree on a contract the team can offer him a franchise contract for one year. the salary is that of an average of the top five paid players at the position in the nfl. the player must sign it or sit out a year.

that way, both parties can play for one year and work on either a trade or a new contract

i see,, so are franchise players tagged for only 1 yr ?? or the contract can go for a longer period and getting paid avg. of top five paid players at the position in the nfl ?

thx guys,, im getting a clearer picture now ;)

i thought franchise players = keeper players

i see,, so are franchise players tagged for only 1 yr ?? or the contract can go for a longer period and getting paid avg. of top five paid players at the position in the nfl ?

thx guys,, im getting a clearer picture now ;)

i thought franchise players = keeper players

Just 1 year.

Franchise players are keeper players but sometimes the team and player won't come to a long term agreement so basically they just use them for that one year.

Some players feel 'disrespected' by the franchise tag.

Just 1 year.

Franchise players are keeper players but sometimes the team and player won't come to a long term agreement so basically they just use them for that one year.

Some players feel 'disrespected' by the franchise tag.

I think it is a form of disrespect when certain teams abuse the franchise tag. Chicago is a great example. Basically they told Lance Briggs "You're not good enough to be in our long term plans, but we're going to prevent you from getting a lucrative deal somewhere else." If Lance Briggs were to suffer a career ending injury, then Chicago would have no liability towards him yet Briggs would have been S.O.L. It's really only beneficial for the team.

People say it's beneficial for the player but the fact of the matter is the player being franchised is usually in a position to demand even more money per year on the free agent market than the tag stipulates.

Yeh Charles was just trying to 'feed his kids'.

But I can understand why players feel disrespected by the tag.

Look at it from a 'real job' perspective.

Would you rather a one year 50,000 salary or a 5 year 250,000 salary?

Personally I would like the 5 year deal because I wouldn't want to worry about 'Where will I be next year' and 'How much will I make next year '. But if I'm unhappy with the company, thats another story.

Every year each National Football League team is allowed to designate a player who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent as a franchise player. This designation is applied to a player through the use of the franchise tag. Each team has access each year to only one franchise tag (of either the exclusive or non-exclusive forms) or one transition tag. As a result, each team may only designate one player each year as that team's franchise player.

Usually designated for players of great skill or of high importance to the team, a franchise tag allows a team's manager the privilege of strategically retaining valuable free-agent players while seeking talent through the NFL draft or other acquisitions without exceeding the League's salary cap.

If the designated franchise player elects to play for the team that designated him with the franchise tag, and does not negotiate a contract with another team his one year salary is guaranteed.

If a club withdraws their offered contract the player immediately reverts to an unrestricted free agent.

Types of franchise tags
There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag:

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount equal to or greater than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.
A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount equal to or greater than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.
It is the team's choice whether it uses an exclusive or a non-exclusive franchise tag. While it may seem that a team would always choose the exclusive option, there are two reasons a team might prefer the non-exclusive option instead. The first is that the salary is based on the top 5 salaries of the previous year instead of the current year, which could be a significant difference. The second reason is that a team may want the opportunity for the two first-round draft picks they would receive if they lost their player.

2007 exclusive franchise player costs by position
Position Cost
Quarterback $12,615,000
Offensive Linemen (includes Offensive Tackle, Offensive Guard, Center) $9,556,000
Defensive End $8,644,000
Wide Receiver $7,613,000
Cornerback $7,790,000
Safety $7,490,000
Linebacker $7,206,000
Running Back (includes all Fullbacks and Halfbacks) $6,999,000
Defensive Tackle $6,775,000
Tight end $4,371,000
Punter or Kicker $2,078,000

2007 franchise-tagged players
Chicago Bears - Lance Briggs LB (Non-exclusive)
Cincinnati Bengals - Justin Smith DE (Non-exclusive)
Detroit Lions - Cory Redding DT (Non-exclusive)
Indianapolis Colts - Dwight Freeney DE (Exclusive)
New England Patriots - Asante Samuel CB (Non-exclusive)
New Orleans Saints - Charles Grant DE (Non-exclusive)
Seattle Seahawks - Josh Brown PK (Non-exclusive)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

Didn't Charles Grant feel disrespected by it?

wouldn't you feel disrespected if you were forced to work a year somewhere where you are only guaranteed one year of pay. If you were to say, injure yourself to the point that you could no longer continue your career in that season you are screwed because no one will be paying you beyond your one year of forced service.

2007 exclusive franchise player costs by position
Position Cost
Quarterback $12,615,000
Offensive Linemen (includes Offensive Tackle, Offensive Guard, Center) $9,556,000
Defensive End $8,644,000
Wide Receiver $7,613,000
Cornerback $7,790,000
Safety $7,490,000
Linebacker $7,206,000
Running Back (includes all Fullbacks and Halfbacks) $6,999,000
Defensive Tackle $6,775,000
Tight end $4,371,000
Punter or Kicker $2,078,000
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag[/url]

2007 non-exclusive franchise player costs by position
Position Cost
Quarterback $8,789,000
Offensive Linemen (includes Offensive Tackle, Offensive Guard, Center) $6,983,000
Defensive End $8,332,000
Wide Receiver $6,172,000
Cornerback $5,893,000
Linebacker $7,169,000
Running Back (includes all Fullbacks and Halfbacks) $6,085,000
Defensive Tackle $5,656,000
Safety $4,109,000
Tight end $3,327,000
Punter or Kicker $2,468,000

I'm amazed at the top 5 average salry of safeties: 2006-07: $4,109,000 2007-08: $7,490,000. It is now paid better than linebacker at the top end. No wonder the Colts locked up Sanders

Going further...If a non-exclusive rights franchise player signs with a new team, that team owes that free agent's former team two 1st round picks (A price that not very many players are worth).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom