Franchised player question (1 Viewer)

pennstater

Very Banned
Reaction score
Is it legal to franchise a player and then trade him?

Im looking for the answer online but I cannot find the link.

I believe you can, but since the player has no contract, most teams trading for him require he agree to a contract in principle before the trade officially occurs.

Is it legal to franchise a player and then trade him?

Im looking for the answer online but I cannot find the link.

It's not clear in the rules, but I am 99.99% sure that it has been done already. Don't have time to go back and dig up the details.

I'm pretty sure that teams can remove the franchise tag at any time for the purpose of trading a player for less than the compensation the franchise tag merits.

I'm pretty sure that teams can remove the franchise tag at any time for the purpose of trading a player for less than the compensation the franchise tag merits.
Yeah, there is a certain date in the offseason before which a team can remove the tag for any reason. If they don't remove the tag before said date, they will not be able to use the tag the following year.

Yeah, there is a certain date in the offseason before which a team can remove the tag for any reason. If they don't remove the tag before said date, they will not be able to use the tag the following year.

If they remove the tag he is a FA. I think there is a way to trade him but I really do not not know how.

There are two ways to do it:

First, and rather impractical, if for a team to sign the Franchised player. If the player goes to that team, the team owes the team they signed the player from 2 first round picks.

Second is for the Franchised players team to work out an arrangement in principle with another team and the player. Team A would then remove the tag and sign the player to a minimum contract, then trade the player to Team B. Team B would then sign the player to the contract they agreed upon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom