Fred Thomas gets burnt again (1 Viewer)

I mean..Hes not Deion Sanders or anything.. but hes far from being bad.

Thats gonna happen to anyone when there out on an island 1 on 1 with a WR..

Fred Thomas is really getting abused this year. we need to try something else, maybe Craft or Scott, but we are playing some pretty good WR down the stretch and can't afford Freddie to keep giving up big plays.

I have some worries about Fred in the games ahead:

T.J. Houshmanzada
Plaxico Burress
Terrell Owens

There guys have a pretty big size advantage over Fred. Considering his struggles this year, I hope Fred gets some help from the pass rush.

You know they will try to get these guys one on one against him...

Last edited:
I have some worries about Fred in the games ahead:

T.J. Houshmanzada
Plaxico Burress
Terrell Owens

There guys have a pretty beg size advantage over Fred. Considering his struggles this year, I hope Fred gets some help from the pass rush.

Fred won't be on Plaxico or Terrell Owens, Mike McKenzie will. Fred will cover Amani Toomer and Terry Glenn respectively those games.

Precisely because of the size matchups.

If Fred was as bad as folks say he is, we wouldn't have won a game all year. Plenty of coverage sacks and Fred has more than his fair share of PD's.

I think that he was supposed to get safety help over the top on the first TD. He came off him early and then looked up and realized he had no help. The only thing is that he should have slowed Galloway down at the line to give the safety time to come over. It was too late at that point.

He had great coverage on the second TD and Fujita could have easily intercepted that if he looked up a second sooner.

Freddie will be fine.

Fred won't be on Plaxico or Terrell Owens, Mike McKenzie will. Fred will cover Amani Toomer and Terry Glenn respectively those games.

Precisely because of the size matchups.

McKenzie is definitely better suited and he has been playing better lately.

Do you people even watch the games?

Our secondary is VERY weak.

Fred stays burnt and MM is good at best.

The dline getting pressure to the QBs have saved us this season,

I love Freddie thomas, but his days are done as a starter... That said, he's still the 2nd best CB on this team.

We will be (and have been) playing a lot of zone , and will continue to do so against Cinci,Pitt and dallas, as long as we are getting pressure with the front 4, we will have 7 in coverage, that REALLY helps your secondary, but that does not mean you have good CB's...

Fred`s coverage wasnt bad on that play. It was a perfect pass by Gradkowski. The play couldnt be defended by anyone. Except DITKA!! LOL

Thomas has had a good year against the deep ball. The Falcons tried to go deep on him a number of times and he was right there. He's usually good at turn-and-run, IMO Stoutmire was supposed to get over on the first one (it was third and short-ish, if Freddy turns and runs at the snap to keep up with Galloway, a RB or TE in the flat is an easy first down) and didn't. The second TD was just a great throw and catch, and again there was no safety help. Frankly, with 14 second left inthe half and them having one timeout, I just put three DBs at the five and four more in the end zone and make them go short twice and kick.

In September I thought Freddy was the better CB, at least over the first two games, but the utter lack of attack on McKenzie's side of the field tells me that MM is having a great year in coverage, and that teams would rather go after Freddy. Sure, I think we should be looking CB in the first round next year, and I'd like a younger, taller, stronger CB who had Freddy's experience and technique, but I don't. He's doing OK for now, and I suspect that the weak link in coverage is Oldmar.

I love Freddie thomas, but his days are done as a starter... That said, he's still the 2nd best CB on this team.

We will be (and have been) playing a lot of zone , and will continue to do so against Cinci,Pitt and dallas, as long as we are getting pressure with the front 4, we will have 7 in coverage, that REALLY helps your secondary, but that does not mean you have good CB's...

IMO, that's backwards. We've been able to get coverage sacks because we've done a good job of coaching our LBs into the passing lanes, and our corners and safeties are focusing on covering up men rather than taking chances and peeking into the backfield for picks. Of our 23 sacks, 17.5 are from DL (16.5 from the starting four), and I'd say they're more of the scheme/coverage variety than any savage overwhelming of the opposition. Since IMO we don't have the athletes to take chances in the secondary and force a lot of turnovers, we're doing the next best thing.

People don't understand the CB position.

There is NO shutdown corner in this league anymore. The rules are set up so that the WR will win most of the time. Same thing as when all the people were bashing MM. Everyone's going to get burnt if you throw enought balls at them.

People bashed Mike McKenzie yet other teams avoid him like the plague. Now they bash Thomas and he's getting thrown at the ENTIRE game because they ARE avoiding Mike.

I think they've both done a really good job if you compare them to the rest of the league as opposed to what you feel a CB should do. Not near as many INTs as we would like (like 1 or 2) but they don't get burnt any more than other top CBs.

everyone knows our CB's are not the greatest!

Do we have to discuss this every week?

If we had a better option than Fred Thomas he would play. As of know that is all we have.

If you look at our D it relies on our front 4, and if they can get pressure.

I don't care if we have Champ Bailey if we can't get pressure QB's will make Plays

Fred Thomas got beat on that same play the first time we played the Bucs. He didn't even bump him or anything. That's why Joey just ran down the field.

This post is pretty off base, especially considering you started it with the old stand by, "do you guys even watch games" silliness.

MSU and SaintJ pretty much said it all. There's no doubt that Fred Thomas has size issues, and it creates matchup problems. But he's played a lot of good football. Joey Galloway ran by him--he's run by lots of players in this league, and he'll run by a lot more.

Fundamentally though, I completely disagree with your notion that our pass rush has covered for our poor DB's. Our pass rush hasn't been great this year. We usually get a great push from Hollis Thomas early in the game, until he wears down. We got good pressure from the down 4 yesterday, against a poor Tampa line, but most of the season we haven't been able to generate much pressure without blitzing or some real smoke-and-mirrors stunting.

I don't feel like we have a truly dominant player at any position on this team. Even Charles Grant is a bit of two-move pass rusher. That said, these guys are all pretty smart, they don't make a lot of mental mistakes, and they play well as a unit. I include Fred Thomas in that mix.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom