Fred Thomas [MERGED] (1 Viewer)

yesterday was horrific, fred thomas is a bad cornerback, it's that simple. even on short throws he was beat. The short slant for a td to chad johnson was way too easy. IF MM was doing a good job on TJ then why didnt we double team chad johnson?

I'm even disappointed in our punter. When you're punting inside Bengals territory or near midfield there's no excuse for kicking touchbacks. He's only had one punt inside the 20 and it was fair caught at the 19.

I couldn't agree more. It seems to me that we've been coming up on the short end of the stick when it comes to average starting position of drives versus our opponent. And while some of this has to do with coverage, short kickoffs and lame punts have taken their toll the past few weeks.

i've been calling out FT all year, i'm sooooo glad people are finally seeing what i'm seeing. MM is one of only 5 Cb's in the NFL who have not given up a play over 25 yards, and only gave up two catches yesterday. i've also been calling out the DEF CO for not blitzing enough. if you have a clear defiecency in coverage, blitzing will shorten the time your CB's will have to cover. i just don't understand it seems the only time we blitz is on 3rd down. we blitzed a lot in the first 5 games, but have seem to just play this bend but don't break that we've seen the last 5 years with Venturi. yeah i know we probably don't have the personnel Gibbs wants, but what better way to hide a weakness, and if you're beat deep chances are you could cause a bad throw with the pressure. .
another thing FT plays man coverage all game why is he not getting a press on a WR? yes he is kinda small but if your gonna play up you have to at least get your hands on someone .

What about Bryon Scott maybe try him at CB he is a little bigger at least. You know he has the speed.

So, does anyone STILL want to waste our first round pick on a QB?
Oh, sure, one could argue that if Drew doesn't have those 3 picks, we'd have won the game; but if our secondary was better, we wouldn't have given up those three touchdowns and and could have withstood not getting those 2 TDs; furthermore, we wouldn't have been desperately trying to catch up at the end which might have kept the last INT from occurring at all. There's nothing to be done about it this year except to continue to mask it as much as possible. However, it MUST be addressed as the #1 priorty this coming offseason so the Saints can climb that hill. Fred Thomas would be fine as the nickel (way better than Craft), but we simply must have a better starter next year if we are to keep the elite NFL offenses from beating us.

I
I salivate of us getting a Nate Clement level CB in FA next year. Can't wait.

you and me both. I was hoping and praying that we would get Charles Woodson this year. Some may think he isn't what he used to be but to me I thought he would be a major upgrade. I even wanted Phillip Buchannon.....at least he is fast....and he wasn't a mid first rounder for nothing.

I salivate of us getting a Nate Clement level CB in FA next year. Can't wait.
It never ends. *sigh*

Then MM is going to be the one you see getting torched. Just watch..that's just how it works. Attack the db that gives your O the best advantage. You can have an all-star group of dbs, and the formula remains the same. Productive O will find a way to give their playmakers the ball. One db will be burnt toast, the goat, while the rest appears 'avoided' all game. They're just lucky they weren't picked on is all. There's nothing special that the db does that makes QBs avoids them unless the dbs know how to get picks, which makes it not worth the risk then. A never ending cycle. You can never have enough good dbs; there are always going to be holes. Just look how much field they have to defend compare to other D position responsibility. Unless you stop them at the source..the QB.

FT has no business coming back that early from an injury. OC takes special note on defensive starters that are already banged up. He has no business covering 1-on-1 with CJ, not many corners could do that alone to begin with. You got to assume our DC has some common sense to roll coverage to that side. Not that that would have made any difference in that game, as the safety appears completely lost out there.

It never ends. *sigh*

Then MM is going to be the one you see getting torched. Just watch..that's just how it works. Attack the db that gives your O the best advantage. You can have an all-star group of dbs, and the formula remains the same. Productive O will find a way to give their playmakers the ball. One db will be burnt toast, the goat, while the rest appears 'avoided' all game. They're just lucky they weren't picked on is all. There's nothing special that the db does that makes QBs avoids them unless the dbs know how to get picks, which makes it not worth the risk then. A never ending cycle. You can never have enough good dbs; there are always going to be holes. Just look how much field they have to defend compare to other D position responsibility. Unless you stop them at the source..the QB.

FT has no business coming back that early from an injury. OC takes special note on defensive starters that are already banged up. He has no business covering 1-on-1 with CJ, not many corners could do that alone to begin with. You got to assume our DC has some common sense to roll coverage to that side. Not that that would have made any difference in that game, as the safety appears completely lost out there.

So we should not upgrade because then MM would be gettign torched? I totally disagree. MM excels in man to man coverage, which we play alot. Fred Thomas is incapable of such coverage. Thats why he is gettign burnt.

MM would def. not be quite as effective as the number 2 because he'd draw all the throws with a Clement on the other side, but I have no doubt he'd be a huge huge huge huge upgrade of Thomas as the number 2 and would not get torched for 3 TD's in one game.

Everyone Offense is gonna get its yards no matter who the number 2 is, but a good number 2 can limit that.

Everyone Offense is gonna get its yards no matter who the number 2 is, but a good number 2 can limit that.

if we have MM as our #2 he will be better than 95% of the #2's in this league. there is a reason teams don't throw to his side, he's always in position to make a play. i'd rather a guy be in position to make a play and draw a Pass Interference than being burnt by 20 yards. at least you're not giving up 6.

I don't care about FT, nor would I care if they 'upgrade' it or not. The point is the CB position will always be a hole. Just telling you now that we will be bashing the CB next year and the next and the next. A spoiler, I guess.

The best way to limit other teams O from getting yards and scores in the air is to stop it at its source. Corners are not the only ones getting passed on. Qb can attack anywhere in the air on a defense. LBs. CBs. Safety. Their backups. Their backup's backup. It never ends. Productive O find a target they like, and its the same net result. Again try stopping it at its source is the best solution. Easier said than done with this inconsistent D-line going up against backups no less. Very disappointed with them.

Maybe our offense could NOT turn over the ball 3 times in the 2nd quarter, with 2 of them being Brees INT's inside the 20.

The game was 10-7 going into the 4th. Guess FT was on the bench those 3 quarters?

When we finally get a chance to get within a TD in the 4th Brees throws another pick for a TD. We had a chance to score some points in this game and didn't. That's our problem.

Maybe our offense could NOT turn over the ball 3 times in the 2nd quarter, with 2 of them being Brees INT's inside the 20.

The game was 10-7 going into the 4th. Guess FT was on the bench those 3 quarters?

When we finally get a chance to get within a TD in the 4th Brees throws another pick for a TD. We had a chance to score some points in this game and didn't. That's our problem.

all this is true, but what matters is 8 of CJ 9 catches were on Thomas and 3 went for TD's. players have to make plays Brees had a bad day, FT has been getting beat all year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom