Fred Thomas -- Status For Cincy Game? (1 Viewer)

What was Jason Craft covering on Cedric Wilson's TD?! The guy is just awful and got abused in Meadowlands last year by Plaxico Burress. I pray we get Fred Thomas back and healthy and address CB in free agency/the draft

He wasn't covering Wilson. That was Bullocks man to pick up. Obviously he didn't :l

It blows my mind that Freddy still doesn't get his due after all of these years, especially on this board.

He is the best corner we've had in my lifetime and is top 10 in the NFL. He is light years ahead of McKenzie. Just look at what happens when Thomas goes out. He is quite possibly the best run-support CB in football. It's like having a fourth linebacker out there. He holds his own against almost every receiver in the league. He hits hard, he has solid ball skills, and he has even learned to defend the fade pretty well.

He has been burned a total of _one_ time this season. The other one or two that I remember were blown assignments by Stoutmire, IIRC. Not even Deion Sanders could go a whole season without getting burnt a few times. It's the nature of the game, especially now with the rules heavily favoring the receivers.

It blows my mind that Freddy still doesn't get his due after all of these years, especially on this board.

He is the best corner we've had in my lifetime and is top 10 in the NFL. He is light years ahead of McKenzie. Just look at what happens when Thomas goes out. He is quite possibly the best run-support CB in football. It's like having a fourth linebacker out there. He holds his own against almost every receiver in the league. He hits hard, he has solid ball skills, and he has even learned to defend the fade pretty well.

He has been burned a total of _one_ time this season. The other one or two that I remember were blown assignments by Stoutmire, IIRC. Not even Deion Sanders could go a whole season without getting burnt a few times. It's the nature of the game, especially now with the rules heavily favoring the receivers.

I'm not one to scream that he gets burned. To be honest noone in our secondary has been burned this year excessively except craft.

But Fred has been allowing a ton of completions on his side of the field everytime he plays. He had 10 passes completed on him in the ravens game. Most for first downs in 3rd down situations. Hes small, and not as atheletic as he used to be. He gets manhandled alot. When teams come in its him who they pick on.

He needs to be the new nickel and we need someone in FA.

However, Bullocks has got to stop biting and leaving his corners out to dry.

That will come back to haunt you everytime. There is a reason you are called "SAFETY". I understand that you're duties do include run stop, but isn't your first priority to stop the deep pass? I know that there are plays where you are designated to run stuff and therefor you leave your CB's in single coverage. If your assignment is coverage first, COVER FIRST! Don't bite on a play fake. If you do, your worthless. Let the LB's DL take care of the initial duties of run stuff.

I'm not one to scream that he gets burned. To be honest noone in our secondary has been burned this year excessively except craft.

But Fred has been allowing a ton of completions on his side of the field everytime he plays. He had 10 passes completed on him in the ravens game. Most for first downs in 3rd down situations. Hes small, and not as atheletic as he used to be. He gets manhandled alot. When teams come in its him who they pick on.

He needs to be the new nickel and we need someone in FA.

Wait a second

10 passes? Really? McNair had 17 completions.

2 were to RB Musa Smith - not Freddy's responsibility
5 were to TEs Heap and Wilcox - not Freddy's responsibility.

That leaves a total of ten left.

You're telling me that every single completion to a WR in the Ravens game was on Freddy? Interesting, because Derrick Mason, the #1 receiver, who McKenzie was responsible for for most of the game, had a total of 6 catches.

I know you're a good poster and you know football pretty well, but let's not fabricate stats to make our point.

Wait a second

10 passes? Really? McNair had 17 completions.

2 were to RB Musa Smith - not Freddy's responsibility
5 were to TEs Heap and Wilcox - not Freddy's responsibility.

That leaves a total of ten left.

You're telling me that every single completion to a WR in the Ravens game was on Freddy? Interesting, because Derrick Mason, the #1 receiver, who McKenzie was responsible for for most of the game, had a total of 6 catches.

I know you're a good poster and you know football pretty well, but let's not fabricate stats to make our point.

MM wasn't responsible for Derrick Mason at all that game. 1 and 2 do not cover 1 and 2. They play sides of the field. When we play man they man up with who is on their side. It could be a WR or a TE.

MM gave up one pass that game.

Do you have anything to back this up? I remember Freddy giving up two or three first downs, mainly because McNair had 7-10 seconds to throw. My recollection of the game is far different than yours.

Its not something you can prove really. Theres no stat for that to look up. I watched the game. I actually didn't have an exact number counted up until I checked the forum and 3 or 4 people were mentioning 10 passes had been completed on his side of the field. That doesn't nec. mean he was at fault since it could of been craft could of been coverign someone running at out or comeback over there. I do know only one pass was completed on MM's side of the field the entire game. Their were several passes completed in the middle of the field also. Craft got taken to the woodshed that game.

I'm not saying Fred is a bad corner. Hes not. But MM is the superior player in all regards. Fred is getting old now. He won't be around next year based on that alone I think.

Just looked at the drive charts. 2 passes where completed to the right side (MM's side of the field). 1 was a RB TD at the goaline though so I was right about him only giving up one pass.

10 passes were completed to the left side of the field (fred's side). The rest were up the middle.

Check NFL.com's game stats for it if you wanta see yourself.

Like I said this doesn't nec. mean Fred gave up all those 10 plays. Hes not that bad. But MM is doing a great job for us this year. Fred replacing Craft at the Nickel would make us amazing.

Anyway..time for work. Take it EZ.

Wow, we are really missing Roman Harper.
The Bengals like to go deep at least 5-7 times a game, and with those speedy receivers, man, I just don't know. We will have to keep constant pressure on Palmer.

If Fred Thomas is back (and healthy) on Sunday = win against Bengals

If Fred Thomas does not play on Sunday = loss against Bengals.

Its already bad enough that we have to have Craft on Henry. I couldn't imagine if he had to cover TJ Housh, or Chad Johnson.

He is the best corner we've had in my lifetime and is top 10 in the NFL

Definately

Champ Bailey
Chris McAlister
Nate Clements
Rashean Mathis
DeAngelo Hall
Ronde Barber
Ken Lucas
Chris Gamble
Dre Bly
Al Harris
Marcus Trufant

Almost Certainly

Terrance Newman
Deltha O'Neal
Patrick Surtain
Dunta Robinson
Asante Samuel
Shawn Springs
Walt Harris
Brian Kelly
Nathan Vasher

Arguably

Ty Law
Fred Smoot
Antoine Winfield
Lito Sheppard
Sheldon Brown
Anthony Henry
Charles Tillman
Ike Taylor
Eric Green
Antrell Rolle
Samari Rolle
Terrence McGee
Tory James
Mike McKenzie

That's 34 corners listed and I'm sure I've missed some out

He wasn't covering Wilson. That was Bullocks man to pick up. Obviously he didn't :l

no actually Bullocks was covering the out route which Craft jumped that allowed Wilson to get open. that play was all Craft.

Definately

Champ Bailey
Chris McAlister
Nate Clements
Rashean Mathis
DeAngelo Hall
Ronde Barber
Ken Lucas
Chris Gamble
Dre Bly
Al Harris
Marcus Trufant

Almost Certainly

Terrance Newman
Deltha O'Neal
Patrick Surtain
Dunta Robinson
Asante Samuel
Shawn Springs
Walt Harris
Brian Kelly
Nathan Vasher

Arguably

Ty Law
Fred Smoot
Antoine Winfield
Lito Sheppard
Sheldon Brown
Anthony Henry
Charles Tillman
Ike Taylor
Eric Green
Antrell Rolle
Samari Rolle
Terrence McGee
Tory James
Mike McKenzie

That's 34 corners listed and I'm sure I've missed some out

Ike Taylor? The guy that got benched? Smoot, the guy the Skins have been trying to trade for years? DRE BLY? Ronde Barber (total product of the system)? Al Harris? You realize the Eagles tried to bring Thomas in to start for them the same year that they let Al Harris go because he couldn't break into the same starting lineup? Clements, Mathis and Gamble are all debateable.

Come on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom