Fred Thomas?? (1 Viewer)

I never get these statements. Of course Holding has a bearing on the play. Thats why they call it a penalty.

Offensive Interference is also a penalty and has a bearing on plays.

It shouldn't of been a holding call according to most people on the gameday board and the announcers at the game. We get nailed by tick tacky holding calls all the time. If that call is made or not, Thomas is still burnt.

I should of said OR a TD. My mistake. He did get burnt bad in week 1 for a 75 yard TD. Luckily a holding call that had no bearing on the play got it called back.

He was on Driver most of the game in Greenbay (week2). Driver had 153 yards.

I admit that was a snap statement and I was wrong. Sorry.

Bonchie, quit being a *******. Go watch the game and then point fingers. The Browns came out with a RB, FB, TE and 2 wr's in a power eye formation. The two WR's were lined up on the left side of the field. Braylon Edwards was on the inside and motioned to the right side of the field. MM motioned with Braylon showing an obvious man coverage by our defense. When the ball was snapped Frye dropped back and gave a half hearted attempt at a play action and looked to the left side of the field and Thomas had his man covered at this point Will Smith was bringing some big backside pressure and Frye had to step up in the pocket. When he did this he spotted Edwards running wide open down the middle of the field because MM bit on the play action. It was all MM's fault on the play, Thomas was 60 yards away from Edwards guarding his guy.

It shouldn't of been a holding call according to most people on the gameday board and the announcers at the game. We get nailed by tick tacky holding calls all the time. If that call is made or not, Thomas is still burnt.

Oh and your "shouldn't have been a holding call" was when the LT of the Browns hooked Will smith around the throat keeping him from killing Frye. It was as blatant of a holding call as they come. I can't believe you are trying to make a Saints player look bad by saying this stuff.

Bonchie, quit being a *******. Go watch the game and then point fingers. The Browns came out with a RB, FB, TE and 2 wr's in a power eye formation. The two WR's were lined up on the left side of the field. Braylon Edwards was on the inside and motioned to the right side of the field. MM motioned with Braylon showing an obvious man coverage by our defense. When the ball was snapped Frye dropped back and gave a half hearted attempt at a play action and looked to the left side of the field and Thomas had his man covered at this point Will Smith was bringing some big backside pressure and Frye had to step up in the pocket. When he did this he spotted Edwards running wide open down the middle of the field because MM bit on the play action. It was all MM's fault on the play, Thomas was 60 yards away from Edwards guarding his guy.

I'll have to take your word for it as there is nothing on the net that seems to say where that pass took place and who was on him. Even on gameday it doesn't say left or right like normal. Thomas was on Braylon most of the day on the left side. Why I thought it was him. If you say he went in motion and moved to the other side then I'm sure your right.

Bonchie, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

While nobody's "proved" anything, I do think it's fair to say that after a lot of debate over the last couple of years, there is a general consensus around here that Thomas is (a) at worst a decent NFL cornerback, (b) admittedly a little small and in at least the autumn of his NFL career, if not the early winter, and not as effective when he's nicked up, and this is a position the Saints really need to focus on this offseason, given the age issues at the position, but (c) he's still a pretty good player, and (d) when he's healthy (see the first 2-3 games this season) can still turn in a front-line performance.

On the other hand, I don't think there's a general consensus at all that he's terrible, or that he's totally washed up.

Hes hurt. Not washed up. Thats not a detriment to his actual skills as a CB. Hes better then craft in coverage when hes not gimpy. He also has great football instincts. But if you can't run with the WR none of that matters.

Here is the play against Cleveland.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e8UlnBqK3zk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e8UlnBqK3zk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I see what your saying about the safeties...Where the hell were they there. If you only have 2 WR's on the field they wouldn't be off covering someone would they?

We will never know what type of coverage the Saints had on that play. I do know that the corners were in some type of man coverage but we wont know whether they were supposed to get deep help, pass the WR off to the safety or if MM just flat got burned. More than likely MM just got beat and our Safeties had coverage on the TE's and FB's because MM struggled big time in the preseason and last year on the deep ball. Thankfully he has been playing much better the past two months. The one thing I do know is you can't judge corners by a stopwatch, size or by counting the receptions WR's have on their side of the field unless they are in man coverage with no help over the top. Chris Gamble is a solid return guy and has played pretty damn good for the Panthers but when he was at the combine our very own Will Smith ran a faster 40 than he did. The cb position is all about footwork and being able to swivel your hips. Thomas has stayed with many a man deep this year stride for stride and was abusing Devery Henderson and Donte Stallworth in camp. He is a solid corner and you don't start for ten years in the league if your not good.

What people don't understand about the Bengals game is that Thomas was going against Chad Johnson and the safety over the top on 1 play didn't do his job. That can not be blamed on Thomas. The second TD Chad Johnson ran a deep out and Palmer was trying to go to him but Thomas jumped the route and it looked like Palmer was getting sacked but he stepped up in the pocket right and away from the pressure right as Chad turned back upfield and the play turned into a TD. Thomas let his guard down and that was his fault but it was much more a mental mistake than a physical one and there is no doubt that Thomas is not the type of player you should worry about that happening too again.

I will say that in the second game against Tampa he got abused by Gallaway on one play. It was 3rd and 6 and Galloway ran a double move. He ran about 8 yards made one step out right as Gradkowski pumped and Thomas took one bad step but when your on an island with Galloway all it takes is one bad step to get beat by ten yards. A lot of people blamed Thomas for Galloway's 2nd TD that day but it was a zone defense in which Galloway got between the LB (Fujita) and the Safety (Bullocks). Thomas does give up a lot of short plays but when your in man coverage that is not a bad thing.

Here is the play against Cleveland.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e8UlnBqK3zk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e8UlnBqK3zk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I didn't see a Saint withing 20 yrds of the receiver. Was F.Thomas playing that day? I suspect he was.

I didn't see a Saint withing 20 yrds of the receiver. Was F.Thomas playing that day? I suspect he was.

:1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp:

You can clearly see that McKenzie is manned up on Braylon, while Freddy is up top against whoever the left side flanker is.

Good grief. It can't be any more clear.

:1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp:

You can clearly see that McKenzie is manned up on Braylon, while Freddy is up top against whoever the left side flanker is.

Good grief. It can't be any more clear.

I agree. Add that to the fact that Will Smith would've sacked Frye about 4 seconds earlier.

1 star thread, IMO. :shrug:

duhnq1.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom