Fred Weary Tazed And Charged For Obstruction. (1 Viewer)

Det. Brees

E tan e epi tas
Reaction score
TASER Finally Stops Pushy, Loudmouth Pro Footballer
Wednesday, 15 November 2006

Houston Chronicle

Dateline: Houston

Houston Texans offensive lineman Fred Weary is facing a possible chargeof resisting arrest after Houston police said he refused to comply withorders during a traffic stop this afternoon, eventually using a Taseron him.Weary was not injured in the Taser incident, said HPD spokesman JohnCannon. Weary was then taken to city jail.Cannon said police became suspicious of Weary while patrolling theSouth Main and South Loop area about 1 p.m., where they saw him in aChevrolet Impala SS. Cannon said Weary "exhibited suspicious behavior"and kept "looking at officers on several occasions." Police decided tofollow the vehicle.Cannon said police determined the vehicle did not have a front licenseplate and the driver made an unsafe lane change. Police tried to pullWeary over on the southbound lanes of the West Loop near the SouthwestFreeway interchange, Cannon said. Weary stopped after ordered to byofficers, Cannon said. No chase occurred, Cannon said.When one of the officers approached Weary to ask for a license, Weary"angrily" asked why he had been pulled over, Cannon said. The officerasked for a license three times, Cannon said.At that time, Cannon said, Weary was "very agitated and was slow tocomply," then he "starts reaching for something in the console." Theofficer who made the stop then asked Weary to get out of the car.The 29-year-old football player remained "verbally combative" after hewas asked to get out and he refused officer's commands to put his handson the vehicle, Cannon said.When one officer tried to place Weary in custody by placing one wristbehind the other, Weary "pushed the officers hands away," Cannon said.Weary, 6'5' 310-pound lineman, then stepped toward the second officer,who thought the action to be an "aggressive manner," Cannon said. Theofficer then used a Taser on Weary.Weary was struck on the right side of his body, Cannon said. Wearycomplied with orders and was taken into custody. He could face amisdemeanor charge.

Sounds like the cops were bored. I could see this quickly becoming a racial issue.

Suspicious behavior= Profiling

2 TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS = GETTING PULLED OVER AND GETTING CITATIONS
I do not see profiling here.

Cannon said police became suspicious of Weary while patrolling theSouth Main and South Loop area about 1 p.m., where they saw him in aChevrolet Impala SS. Cannon said Weary "exhibited suspicious behavior"and kept "looking at officers on several occasions." Police decided tofollow the vehicle.Cannon said police determined the vehicle did not have a front licenseplate and the driver made an unsafe lane change.

So in other words the officers saw Weary "looking suspicious" then began to follow him. It wasn't until this time that he noticed he didn't have a liscense plate on the front of his car (somehow noticing this while behind him) and he made an unsafe lane change. What is an unsafe lane change? If it was something major then the cop would have given him a ticket for wreckless driving or at least careless operation.

The cops were looking for a reason to pull this guy over and followed him around until they found an excuse. If they never singled him out to start with then they would have never had a reason to pull him over.

This is classic profiling.

Now, I don't have a problem with profiling because I think profiling is simply smart police work. Just like I think young males of arab descent should be searched more frequently in airports than older females of other races because the male arab is much more likely to have plastic explosives strapped to his chest.

Then again Weary gets hit with a taser because the cops saw that he is a big guy and felt threatened just because Weary wanted to know why they were arresting him. I can't say I would do much different if I had some cop pull me over for no reason, strap handcuffs on me and try to take me to jail. If they are going to profile then they better know when they begin to cross the line.

Now I could be wrong. Weary could have given them all the reasons in the world to justify the actions but I will believe it when I see the video.

I don't guess he heard about the Chargers linebacker. It doesn't matter if you feel the police were not justified in stopping you, follow their instructions and the worst that will happen is you get a ticket.

Sounds like the cops were bored. I could see this quickly becoming a racial issue.

Suspicious behavior= Profiling

I guess they grew "weary" of his antics...

The news of Weary's arrest has been met with waves of cynicism. Weary's one of the good guys. Even McNair and Kubiak are publicly supportive of Weary. The news media has Weary's back as well.

"Improper lane usage"? Who the hell amongst us (including cops in patrol cars) hasn't switched lanes without using a signal, etc.? Sounds like another case of a punk kid - who was picked on his whole life - deciding to get his revenge on society by being a menace with a badge.*

Horse ****.

*with apologies to the good guys who wear the badge

the verb tazed makes me laugh everytime I read it in a sentence. Not sure why. It just seems hilarious to me.

No matter the outcome, Weary's name is ruined. He will now forever be labeled as "troubled", and "lacking character". Every contract he signs now as a football player will more than likely contain a "morals" clause specifically related to this "run-in" with the law. If he was a good guy prior to last night, he isn't now. He now has a "history" of trouble. Fair or not, this is the future he faces.

Improper usage of a traffic lane while driving? I am still trying to figure out what that is.

i dont get it... i guess because i work in law enforcement i see it from a diff. light.
i see a person who brought attention to him self by seeming suspicious by starring at teh police. then when they follow him to check him out he doesnt have a tag and makes and illegal lane change. yes every breaks traffice laws but that does not mean we stop enforceing them.

i dont get it... i guess because i work in law enforcement i see it from a diff. light.
i see a person who brought attention to him self by seeming suspicious by starring at teh police. then when they follow him to check him out he doesnt have a tag and makes and illegal lane change. yes every breaks traffice laws but that does not mean we stop enforceing them.

I don't get it either. What in the world constitutes "exhibited suspicious behavior"and kept "looking at officers on several occasions." This to me sounds like a load of crap.

By the way, there is no mention of an illegal lane change in the report. "the driver made an unsafe lane change" is completely subjective. There is absolutely nothing of substance in the entire account of this incidence.

Sounds like profiling to me.

The news of Weary's arrest has been met with waves of cynicism. Weary's one of the good guys. Even McNair and Kubiak are publicly supportive of Weary. The news media has Weary's back as well.

"Improper lane usage"? Who the hell amongst us (including cops in patrol cars) hasn't switched lanes without using a signal, etc.? Sounds like another case of a punk kid - who was picked on his whole life - deciding to get his revenge on society by being a menace with a badge.*

Horse ****.

*with apologies to the good guys who wear the badge

I think I have to agree with you here. As you put it, all officers are not like this but there are certainly some that are. They followed the guy for no reason and he certainly has a right to ask the officer why he was pulled over and the officer should have responded and given a valid reason, not: you look suspicious. I'd love to hear the reason why he looked suspicious. . .

I agree with Houston HouDAT.

They followed him because he looked at the cops? Who doesn't naturally look over when you see a cop?

Give me a freaking break.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom