Free Agency Postponed (Unconfirmed-Mod édit) (1 Viewer)

I think it has to do with optics. I'm not sure they want to be breaking news during a national emergency.

Maybe, but the whole COVID-19 thing isn't going away anytime soon so they are likely going to have to go forward with it during a national emergency at some point. Plus, I think giving people something to think about other than COVID-19 probably would be a good thing.

Anyway, they may be selling this as being about COVID-19, but I suspect it has more to do with gaining more time to work out a CBA before free agency begins.

Maybe, but the whole COVID-19 thing isn't going away anytime soon so they are likely going to have to go forward with it during a national emergency at some point. Plus, I think giving people something to think about other than COVID-19 probably would be a good thing.

Anyway, they may be selling this as being about COVID-19, but I suspect it has more to do with gaining more time to work out a CBA before free agency begins.
You think? I think the timing is just coincidence, but still...great timing for them.

Hmm is it? Please explain how it is :)
This pandemic is real and nobody knows how many people are infected across the U.S. Current estimates are at 500,000. The fundamental problem is infected individuals don't know that they are infected until they are symptomatic, which takes about 5 days... and during those 5 days they may have infected everybody that they came into contact with... maybe another 50 people. Your comment leads me to believe that you are not aware of the severity of the situation... or perhaps you don't care because you are young and have a strong immune system. A lot of us are neither young or in good health.

Flying in to a team’s headquarters for a (personal) sit down interview is extremely valuable. You get a feel for the energy/vibe of the human being, have a genuine conversation, talk some football, talk about life/future, etc. You know.....a more intimate conversation that can’t be duplicated via phone, email, video chat. Plus, a lot of players like to wined and dined to see just how much a team wants them. They get to explore the city more, interact with fans who are recruiting them in a lot of the city’s environments. That’s why it’s called a free agency tour. Sometimes players only gets to experience that once in their football careers.
Doesn't really happen as often as it used to years ago.

There's absolutely no need for free agency to be affected by this. The only thing that would have to change is no fancy meals with the team brass. That's it.

There's phone, email, video chat...
I hear that, but they do still seem to sign physical signatures on contracts - not sure if that's going to be able to be done electronically as you can in certain other scenarios. It would also be interesting to see how those involved handle the change from trying to keep a player in town until they're signed, in order to keep them away from other suitors.

But as has been pointed out, looks like this thread was premature.

I haven’t seen this anywhere. I need a link please. I was waiting for this news to drop as a typical Friday news dump, but I’m not finding this news anywhere else.
I heard Rush Limbaugh make mention of that, so immediately googled it and went to NFL.COM. I think for now it's pure speculation.
I sure hope Free Agency doesn't get pushed back. Any kind of sports diversion would be nice now. One thing for certain is I'll never take regular season basketball and baseball for granted again.

This pandemic is real and nobody knows how many people are infected across the U.S. Current estimates are at 500,000. The fundamental problem is infected individuals don't know that they are infected until they are symptomatic, which takes about 5 days... and during those 5 days they may have infected everybody that they came into contact with... maybe another 50 people. Your comment leads me to believe that you are not aware of the severity of the situation... or perhaps you don't care because you are young and have a strong immune system. A lot of us are neither young or in good health.

No offense, but: how about YOU stay home to protect yourself, then, while those who risk only getting a cold/mild fever (relatively normal risks associated with other illnesses/diseases out there) continue living their lives to keep the economy going?

Par for the course in society, but the absurd reaction to the threat will probably end up being more damaging than the threat itself.

No offense, but: how about YOU stay home to protect yourself, then, while those who risk only getting a cold/mild fever (relatively normal risks associated with other illnesses/diseases out there) continue living their lives to keep the economy going?

Par for the course in society, but the absurd reaction to the threat will probably end up being more damaging than the threat itself.
FYI, I have been self-quarantined (my wife and I have not left the house) for the past 11 days. I live very near the epicenter here in WA state and we are taking this pandemic VERY seriously. I suggest that you and the rest of America take it seriously as well.

FYI, I have been self-quarantined (my wife and I have not left the house) for the past 11 days. I live very near the epicenter here in WA state and we are taking this pandemic VERY seriously. I suggest that you and the rest of America take it seriously as well.

God bless you and keep you safe - you are doing what is good and right for you and your wife's well-being.

As for me, I took my family out to support a local restaurant today that has been unnecessarily impacted by mass paranoia and one-upsmanship across the sports and political landscape, doing our tiny part to ensure that there is a decent economy left when you and others decide it is safe for you to come out. We're being smart about proximity and sanitation, of course, because we can read and understand best practices to avoid catching the virus. If we're not hit by a car, or catch something else that might make us sick, we're all but certain to survive a flu-like bug that has proven to have minuscule impact on our respective age ranges. When we're finished, we won't be knocking on your door or anyone else who is ill or eldery, because that would be just plain foolish.

Take care and be safe, y'all.

God bless you and keep you safe - you are doing what is good and right for you and your wife's well-being.

As for me, I took my family out to support a local restaurant today that has been unnecessarily impacted by mass paranoia and one-upsmanship across the sports and political landscape, doing our tiny part to ensure that there is a decent economy left when you and others decide it is safe for you to come out. We're being smart about proximity and sanitation, of course, because we can read and understand best practices to avoid catching the virus. If we're not hit by a car, or catch something else that might make us sick, we're all but certain to survive a flu-like bug that has proven to have minuscule impact on our respective age ranges. When we're finished, we won't be knocking on your door or anyone else who is ill or eldery, because that would be just plain foolish.

Take care and be safe, y'all.
Thank you for the reasoned and kind response, which is more than I can say for a few others here.

I hope that you, your family and your friends stay safe as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom