Free agent I would like: TE Anthony Fasano (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know there are better players available in the position, like Jared Cook and Martellus Bennet, but Anthony Fasano is the kind of player we need.

The con is his age, at 28 he passes the limit of 27 that I would impose on free agent signings, but he is a solid, reliable player.

He is the young, better version of David Thomas, he is a both good catching the ball and blocking. More important, he will come as a #2 tight end and be payed accordingly.

His last contract was a 2 year $7.75 million, and I think this time we could get it at a 3 year 9 million contract, or even less.

would be a good signing. good blocking te. probability that payton had already scouted him prior to becoming saints hc.

Fasano is a good football player. I'd be thrilled to have him in Black and Gold (would prefer Cook though).

What about that guy we had in the preseason. Higgins, was it? I really liked what I saw from him. Played with a lot of attitude.

I would actually prefer Brandon Myers from the Raiders since we are not likely to target Jared Cook.

Why would we spend $3 million a year on a backup TE when Graham is due for a new contract and we have cap issues to deal with already. There are many more places that could use the funds IMO.

Add me to the cook list. But my second choice would be Delanie Walker.

I am not contesting that both Cook and Walker are better pass catching tight ends, but certainly their contracts will be higher.

The reason I like Fasano for us is because he is not a star. He is a second tier player, who will command a second tier contract, but will earn every single penny we could pay him.

We can't have 22 stars on offense and defense, the current cap demand to find this kind of second tier players that will allow us to comfortably pay stars like Drew Brees.

All you pro-Cook guys just don't get it. First, we aren't spending that kinda $ to get a back-up TE and that's what he would be for us. Secondly, Cook can't block.

Back on topic, Fasano would be a solid addition but I wouldn't touch him for the kinda money you brought up. This draft is very deep at TE, according to the experts and I think this is where we will go to find a quality back-up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom