Free Agent Market Values - Spotrac (1 Viewer)

Slaw

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know how accurate these will be, but I thought it was interesting. These are market values (average annual salaries) for some of the free agents we've been talking about.

DE/OLB:
Melvin Ingram: $17.2M
Nick Perry: $8.5M
Jason Pierre-Paul: $14.6M
Jabaal Sheard: $8.8M
Mario Addison: $7.1M
Andre Branch: $7.2M

CB:
Trumaine Johnson: $12.4M
AJ Bouye: $11.4M
Stephon Gilmore: $14.6M
Logan Ryan: $14.4M

G:
Kevin Zeitler: $11.6M
Ron Leary: $9.1M
Larry Warford: $6.2M

ILB:
Dont'a Hightower: $10.1M
Zach Brown: $4.5M

FS:
Eric Berry: $9.1M

DT:
Dontari Poe: $12.1M

OT:
Ricky Wagner: $6.9M

If these were actual salaries...

Of the players listed, I'd go with:

Nick Perry
AJ Bouye
Larry Warford
Zach Brown
Total: $30.6M

I'll take one of the DE's under $9M, Perry looks solid.

One of the CB's although the price tag is really high on the top 3 listed. Maybe there's a second tier guy who can come in and ball.

We're going to need a guard and a tackle soon so why not bring a guard in this year.

We have a one to three year window with Brees at the helm. Positions like CB and DE, you want veterans who can come in and make an immediate impact. Luckily it's a good year in Free Agency for both of those positions.

All it takes is one ******* GM to blow those salary estimates out of the water, too.

Ingram's $17.2 million seems awfully steep considering it's just a couple million shy of Von Miller's contract and he's nowhere near the same level of player.

There are 32 teams that potentially can bid for a small grouping of free agents, and some have much more cap space than the Saints do. I am not sure that we will sign more than one of the better players who will be available.

Yeah...I laughed when I saw Ingram's salary. He's more of a $10-12 mil guy.

I think that Bouye is the best CB...so that's a no brainer if the Saints go in that direction.

I also think Zeitler is worth every penny of that estimate. I still fear that the Bengals will resign him. He's my #1 FA target. We can't afford for our offense to slip and Zeitler is the single signing that prevents that from happening.

Hightower is probably worth $10 mil per year...but on the list of needs I think ILB is lower. I think Brown is much better value for what you get.

If the Saints either get rid of Byrd or don't plan to extend Vaccaro...all of a sudden Eric Berry becomes a dream acquisition. I think that he is the safest signing as the guy has been great for so long and still is rather young.

I'd take:
-Zeitler
-Bouye
-Brown

I'd also try to resign Fairley and Kruger. Kruger is not a great pass rusher but he's strong against the run, has experience playing SOLB, knows our system, and shouldn't cost much.

Ingram's $17.2 million seems awfully steep considering it's just a couple million shy of Von Miller's contract and he's nowhere near the same level of player.

If Olivier Vernon got a 5 year $85 million deal a year ago, Ingram can surely expect something similar. Maybe he doesn't get $17m, but if he doesn't, it won't be for much less than that.

It seems as though a lot of people still haven't gotten used to the rapidly rising cap. Ingram is the best pass rusher available, he's young and improving, and he is going to get PAID.

If Olivier Vernon got a 5 year $85 million deal a year ago, Ingram can surely expect something similar. Maybe he doesn't get $17m, but if he doesn't, it won't be for much less than that.

It seems as though a lot of people still haven't gotten used to the rapidly rising cap. Ingram is the best pass rusher available, he's young and improving, and he is going to get PAID.

Yep, and he can do more than just rush the passer.

If those were actuals, I would go Branch or Perry, Bouye, and Warford (though I really like Zeitler).

I think that Bouye is the best CB...so that's a no brainer if the Saints go in that direction.

I also think Zeitler is worth every penny of that estimate. I still fear that the Bengals will resign him. He's my #1 FA target. We can't afford for our offense to slip and Zeitler is the single signing that prevents that from happening.

Hightower is probably worth $10 mil per year...but on the list of needs I think ILB is lower. I think Brown is much better value for what you get.

If the Saints either get rid of Byrd or don't plan to extend Vaccaro...all of a sudden Eric Berry becomes a dream acquisition. I think that he is the safest signing as the guy has been great for so long and still is rather young.

I'd take:
-Zeitler
-Bouye
-Brown

I'd also try to resign Fairley and Kruger. Kruger is not a great pass rusher but he's strong against the run, has experience playing SOLB, knows our system, and shouldn't cost much.

Going with Brown, who I'm a big fan of, at LB allows for Robertson to move back over to WLB with the probability of Ellerbe getting let go as he simply cannot remain healthy. Playing 16 games in two years is not dependable. Brown has shown the ability to not only pick up a system in one off season but excel without doing too much thinking.

Buoye looked pretty good on the five games I watched and having him opposite of Breaux would be a good move towards shoring up the back end of the defense. Gilmore would be a good pick up as well. I'd be pleased with either of these two at CB.

Regarding Zeitler, he is a RG so there wouldn't be an issue with him playing out of position. It has been obvious that just because a player can play one position or side doesn't mean he can play the other side equally well. Leary, who is a beast, is a LG and would have to want to move to the right side and feel comfortable doing so. Keeping Peat at LG allows him to move to LT if need be as its his natural position. Peat plays the left side better than the right and it is time to let him settle in to a side he naturally feels comfortable with. Signing Leary would be awesome but he has to be willing to play RG.

Kruger is the only place I disagree as though he is solid against the run as you stated, he simply does not provide any rush capability. Too many times the other three players on the line would push the QB out of the pocket and the QB would simply exit out the back door because Kruger lacked any pocket push. Almost as if he was anchoring down against the run- ALL THE TIME!

Any of those second tier DEs with a first round pick Pass rusher and a second round secondary or LB would have done a decent job at fixing many of the defensive issues.

I'm not saying that he won't get close to the estimate...I'm just hoping the Saints aren't the team to give it. This draft is stacked with pass rushers. I'd sooner draft a pass rusher in round one and two than sign Ingram to more than $15 million per year.

If it truly is 2017 or bust and we need to acquire a OG, CB, and DE...how is the best way to fill primary needs through both FA and draft?

The draft is relatively weak at OL...so Zeitler makes a ton of sense in FA.

The draft has excellent depth at CB, but not necessarily top heavy. Taking a CB in the 2nd-5th round makes much more sense than the 1st. By signing a guy like Bouye we will be able to take advantage of the depth of the CB by not taking one in the 1st.

Again..DE is loaded this draft. I think that Garrett, Thomas, McKinley, or Barnett will all be difference makers who will warrant our #11 pick...and all be worth it. If for whatever reason there's a guy who the franchise feels we can't pass on like either a QB, RB, S, or Mason...there will still be some very good DEs available in the 2nd round. Ingram would be a mistake financially considering what this draft and FA period has to offer.

I strongly believe in taking what the draft gives you. A few years ago the Saints made the correct move in trading up for Cooks...but made a mistake in passing on Landry. It was a legendary WR draft and guys fell as a result...and the Saints failed to take advantage.

2017 is one of the strongest safety and RB classes I've ever seen. They aren't huge needs but the Saints would be foolish to leave the draft without a RB and safety. Likewise...it's a. Incredibly deep CB...the Saints should make a strong effort to draft a CB, even if they sign one in FA. On the other hand...pass rusher is loaded at the top through the first two rounds..that is where the Saints should be searching for a pass rusher.

What do y'all think about this offseason? It's the most realistic I got so far on the fanspeak GM.

Free Agency:
Nick Fairley (3 years @ $15,000,000)
Andre Branch (4 years @ $18,000,000)
Logan Ryan (5 years @ $45,000,000)
Ronald Leary (4 years @ $26,000,000)
Zach Brown (5 years @ $30,000,000)

Draft:
Round 1 Pick 11: Marshon Lattimore CB, Ohio State
Round 2 Pick 10: David Njoku TE, Miami
Round 3 Pick 12: DeMarcus Walker DE, Florida State
Round 4 Pick 11: Kendall Beckwith LB, LSU
Traded 6th rounder and future 5th to jump into 5th round
Round 5 Pick 19: Joe Mixon RB, Oklahoma
Round 7 Pick 11: Ben Braden G, Michigan

I still had a little over 7 million in cap space left, and that's without cutting anybody or restructuring any contracts. Seems like it could be a realistic possiblity IMO,and would give us a hell of a team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom