Free agent RB Darrel Williams is in NOLA [Merged](Update: signing with Cardinals) (3 Viewers)

It's possible that i'm thinking of when our offense had huge success, we had a back for each skillset. I'm curious what can he give you that MI can't.
It doesn't even matter. MI will be a piece of the puzzle while AK is out, but he's not at the point in his career where he can carry the load solo for up to 6 games. He got nicked in a limited role last season and missed time, so who do we turn to if it happens again this year? You need 3 quality backs on any roster without a suspension to worry about, and the Saints aren't putting all their eggs in the basket of an UDFA and/or Washington while AK is likely suspended. I don't blame them.

Enthusiasm for Mathew and Landry, I get. Williams? He’s just meh, IMO.
Not sure what else you could expect to sign this time of year. We're not looking for a RB1. Even Sony wasn't really a full-season workhorse every-down back, just the closest thing to that after the draft. What we need is quality depth. A RB that can come off the bench, that can also be fit into the game plan, that can also pull the wagon for a stretch of games if need be. Williams is all of those things.

I'd put my money on Williams easily beating out all of our RBs for a roster spot and playing time, excepting for AK. Ingram can still give us good reps, but how many per game for how many games? Williams has proven himself a solid and versatile RB. Kind of like James Hurst is for our OL. And if DA plans for our offense to have the run set up the pass, we're going to need several quality backs to make it through the season. Right now we're one player away from having a bare cupboard. And that one player is probably going to get suspended for a third of the season at some point this fall. We better stack 'em up.

He is more of a sub for Kamara on pass plays and 3rd down.

That's why I do Fantasy Football... Otherwise, I wouldn't know that he is a very versatile/satellite type back.

I'd sign him in a heartbeat.
I think that's more of a credit to Reid's offense. From watching his highlights, he doesn't stand out as a guy that'll be a threat. I'm not hating on him, just wondering if we could go a different route, with a different type of back.

I love it when people throw as an argument what can Williams do that MI cant.

MI is old by NFL standards. Its hard to expect much from him other than goal or short yardage situations.

There is a very good chance MI doesn't last the whole year.

I love it when people throw as an argument what can Williams do that MI cant.

MI is old by NFL standards. Its hard to expect much from him other than goal or short yardage situations.

There is a very good chance MI doesn't last the whole year.
This. I love me some Mark Ingram, but last two seasons he's had the look of a RB who's reached the point where he can see the flow of a play, can see the developing blocks and where the hole is going to be...but just can't get there in time anymore.

Just saying if Kamara is suspended. MI and Williams would be an awesome punch

This. I love me some Mark Ingram, but last two seasons he's had the look of a RB who's reached the point where he can see the flow of a play, can see the developing blocks and where the hole is going to be...but just can't get there in time anymore.
He averaged 3.8 YPC for us last year behind a god-awfully banged up offensive line. He had plenty of juice for the role he played, but he can't be counted on to tally 20 carries for six straight games.

This would be a fantastic signing. You're not going to replace Kamara with a similar type of back--I just don't see that player out there on the market--so you're really looking for Ingram to fit into that role in Kamara's absence (taking those outsize zone and toss plays, which he is capable of). That said, Williams is a guy who isn't going to be expecting #2 RB touches (I'd imagine), but can provide that if necessary. He's solid at the first and second level and is a pretty good receiver out of the backfield--which is one of my main concerns if we lose Kamara (that RB receiving threat on 3rd down).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom