Free Agents Attracted To New Orleans (1 Viewer)

BigDSaintsFan

Go Saints!
Reaction score
A lot of you on the board feel like free agents aren't attracted to New Orleans. If you look at it in reverse, most of our own free agents resigned with us. Doesn't that say something positive about the organization? We've been a bad organization for years but it finally does look like things are turning around. Thoughts?

it could be that those same ones' that resigned knew they wouldn't be getting a better deal elsewhere... or couldn't even get offers for 1.

patten I do like the resign though.. he learned from experience, it's wise for a WR to stick with a good QB when they get the chance..
going for the money elsewhere, with a qb that doesn't get you the ball makes your future value drop like a rock.

After 40+ years of building a bad reputation, it's going to take more than 1 or 2 years to build a good one. That's starting to happen now. Having our own free agents return and pass up other interests to wait for us is a very good first step. Consistent winning and a willingness to reward players for their performance is next.

I find it interesting that those that say free agents don't want to sign here are usually themselves not from New Orleans.

I find it interesting that those that say free agents don't want to sign here are usually themselves not from New Orleans.

I'm not from New Orleans either, but it is my favorite place on the planet. However, living there and taking trips there are two totally different things. I would like to live there, and actually might be very soon, but New Orleans doesn't compare to New York, Chicago, D.C., Philly, or any of the other big cities in terms of exposure. We all may love New Orleans, but we aren't attention whores either.

it could be that those same ones' that resigned knew they wouldn't be getting a better deal elsewhere... or couldn't even get offers for 1.

It could also be that once in New Orleans they found they liked it. It's a matter of getting the free agents to come in. The national media tends to give a bad perception of the city.

I think we have a special group of core vets on our team who believe in Payton...the Bucs from what I read really wanted Stecker but he returned.

Typed the words right out of my mouth

I don't know why that's interested. It's very widely known that people from New Orleans see the city in a light that very few other people do. Those people don't mind the city's warts like the rest of the country.

The players that do come aren't coming for the city. They're coming because of the respect held for Sean Payton on NFL circles which is probably why we have no trouble attracting free agents from the offensive side of the ball.

I don't know why that's interested. It's very widely known that people from New Orleans see the city in a light that very few other people do. Those people don't mind the city's warts like the rest of the country.

The players that do come aren't coming for the city. They're coming because of the respect held for Sean Payton on NFL circles which is probably why we have no trouble attracting free agents from the offensive side of the ball.

Former players have ended up retiring here. Drew Brees moved here, embraced the city and lives in Uptown. My point is I think those outside the city are far quicker to shortsell the city than those that live here and know it better.

You can't tell me that Buffalo, Cleveland or any number of other cities are more exciting to free agents than New Orleans. We are well known in sports circles.

Drew Brees' primary residence is still in San Diego, a city in which he has no ties other than he used to work there before his employer told him in not so many words that he was no longer wanted.

To me, I think this shows how there probably was not much of a camradie problem last season as there was an execution problem... To me it seems from all the re-signings guys think we can and will win, and feel that the other guys in the clubhouse are good teammates...

Drew Brees' primary residence is still in San Diego, a city in which he has no ties other than he used to work there before his employer told him in not so many words that he was no longer wanted.

Didn't his house burn down????:idunno:

I don't know. Regardless of whether or not if Drew Brees' home in California is still standing doesn't change the fact that the Saints must overpay to attract top notch free agents to the team because of the city's substandard healthcare, education and high crime rates. Rattling off a handful of players who over the years have called New Orleans home (although very few really live in 'New Orleans', but rather Mandeville, LaPlace, etc.) doesn't change the facts.

It just endears guys like Drew and Archie to the hearts of Saints fans even more because they 'get it' along with the NOLA locals...

Reggie Bush owns a place downtown along with Tom Benson who was born in New Orleans, yet neither of them use the city as their primary residence. In fact, if I recall technically, the Saints are a Texas business.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom