Free Agents under the radar (1 Viewer)

T-Man14

Reaction score
LB:
OK forget about Dan Morgan, he is an excellent LB but he has proven he cannot stay on the field. Zach Thomas probable won't be here although we do have a good repore with Rosenhaus. There is a better LB who was released yesterday. Derek Smith ,MLB from San Fransisco. He is a tackling machine. A younger Zach Thomas, a healthier Dan Morgan. He is one of the unheralded players at his position, who goes out every week and plays his heart out. He was a cap casualty to an extent because SF owed him 4 million or so. Plus he played out of position last year and perhaps since Mike Nolan and Singletary have been there with the 3-4. He IMO is a 4-3 MLB that is where he excelled and would be an excellent addition without breaking the bank and allowing us to be active in FA.
TE:
Bubba Franks...the rotowire talks about him like he is beyond his years and too long in the tooth. He is a touchdown catching machine. I wonder if this was one of Russ Balls first big cap cutting moves. It would be nice to have someone reliable, besides Colston at the goalline. He can make that tough catch also. Not to mention if he can catch those ROCKET /LASER passes from Favre he should have no problem with Drew's passes.
Ben Troupe....amazing athete for his size. Single handedly beat LSU when e played for Florida. He Basically became expendable with the drafting of Bo Scaife. Scaife was a teammate of Vince Young at Texas and has become his favorite TE.

CB:

I like DeAngelo Hall and I think if we wait out the situation we might have a shot at him. Samual will be drastically overpaid and he is not as good as Nate Clements. N.A. the Oakland Cb was my favorite but has been given the Exclusive Right Franchise tag which means you cannot even talk to him. I do not think we can fill this spot through the draft. We have had terrible luck drafting CB's in the past. I do not like the prospects this year as much as some years past. Somebody has to be better than Jason David. Finding him should not be too hard.
In Closing, I am concerned with the aftershock of losing Russ Ball. HE was the man doing the deals and structuring everything. Loomis got alot of the credit for this. Agents also may not be as familiar with the current person doing Russ' old job.

Geaux Saints!!

Don't know about Derek Smith but if he breaks loose I'm sure Mickey Mouse will bring him in. We need backers and theres no way around it. We can bring in young guys from the draft but we need production at the position to be competitive.

I say no on Bubba Franks. This guys hasn't had a good season the last two years. I know he had some sort of injury last season but if you go for TE get Crumpler. The man would be an animal is this system and can actually block as well.

I'm kinda warming to the idea of Hall. At the moment what options do we really have? I can't see any of the young guys in the draft doing anything for us this year. I'm not so sure if there is any one worth the #10 at corner. With all the corners being TAGGED we'll seem a little anxious to get someone that can help us at that position.

Deangelo Hall is not a FA...thats why hes under the radar. I'm not sure why everyone thinks he is.

NOOOOOO to Derek Smith.

I have to watch the 49ers every week for work, and we do not want this guy. His tackles are overrated and most come yards away from the line of scrimmage. He's 33. This would be a Brian Simmons move.

Oh I know a trade would be needed. Like i said in the other thread.... I just dont wanna give up on next season already.

Oh I know a trade would be needed. Like i said in the other thread.... I just dont wanna give up on next season already.

I was talking to the OP who had him listed as a FA.

I have no idea about Derek Smith, so no comment there. Hall is a concern for me. The kid need a quick kick in the pants.

Losing Russ Ball may end up hurting us more than we like... I too hope we can recover quickly from not having a great negotiator like Russ around... However, he deserves any promotion he gets. He's earned it. (Like the reference?)

Clarifiaction

I am aware that Hall is not a FA, and I did not intend on it being interpreted as such. I only wanted to state that there are not any CB's in FA that impress me or warrant the Huge money they will get. Hall is the closest thing to a FA that I think is worth the money. He had a poor season last year with the suspension,etc. I believe most of that was a result of the Petrino Regime and their inability to adapt to the NFL. Hall knows the division, grant Steve Smith hs given him a run for his money but who hasn't he. DeAngelo Hall has been nothing but a stand up guy his entire time at ATL. He clearly wants out of ATL and if he plays his cards close to his vest he may get what he wants sooner than later. So what if it takes a pick or 2. He would instantly be a starter in the prime of his career. I hope this clears up matters.

Deangelo Hall is not a FA...thats why hes under the radar. I'm not sure why everyone thinks he is.

The difference on opinion that we have is I believe the reason he was making thse tackles so far away is that he was being ran away from. Teams keyed in to the fact that they could not run at him so they had to run away. He at one time was the best player on that defense. And until last year still was. Clements and Willis are monsters.
NOOOOOO to Derek Smith.

I have to watch the 49ers every week for work, and we do not want this guy. His tackles are overrated and most come yards away from the line of scrimmage. He's 33. This would be a Brian Simmons move.

DeAngelo Hall has been nothing but a stand up guy his entire time at ATL..

You can't be serious? I can understand you wanting to overlook his problems, but come on...

I'm kinda warming to the idea of Hall. At the moment what options do we really have? I can't see any of the young guys in the draft doing anything for us this year. I'm not so sure if there is any one worth the #10 at corner. With all the corners being TAGGED we'll seem a little anxious to get someone that can help us at that position.

There are seven rounds... why does a corner have to be drafted in the first? There are plenty of all pro/HOF corners that were not drafted in the 1st round.

What about Clark Haggans / LB from the Steelers. He's 31, had put up some good sack numbers over the years. He's played in a 3-4 most of his career but I wonder if he might be an upgrade over the Shanle?

if we signed Derek Smith it would be because of his past...that guy hasnt been a player for a while, the only reason he was even considered a solid player was because he played better than anticipated, but he never got better....he is what he is....we dont need that, we always sign those type of players.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom