Free Solo (1 Viewer)

Waymer

Waymer
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone interested in watching this like I am? Honnold is, no pun intended (well, OK, maybe some), the rock star of climbing -- in particular because he's widely considered the greatest free solo climber alive (alive being the key word obviously).

Some of the NatGeo specials, and 60 minute type specials have focused on him over the past 6-8 years, but Free Solo is supposedly the real deal and I've heard the visuals (some of which we get a glimpse of in the trailer, but not for long) are impressive. It's also supposedly a great insight into the feelings of those around him, from his family to his girlfriend, to Jimmy Chin and the guys who film him with the full understanding that they could film his death.

Is that trailer link working for you guys? It works in my edit, but doesn't seem to play on my end otherwise.

Watching this now on NGCHD. Dude's nuts and everyone who free solos will be killed by it.

The guys filming him are questioning whether or not they should even be filming it...meanwhile Hannold just goes for it. Hannold blows my mind. He's a different kinda human than most of the rest of us.

Yeah, if he doesn't stop he'll probably die doing it, but that's what he wants to do. Just incredible. I like the guy and hope he stops so he can keep telling his miraculous story. But if I hear one day that he died from a fall it won't make me that sad. I'll just think...well, that guy died doing what he loved and there's no better way to go.

What he did in Free Solo though...it's one of the most incredible athletic feats ever accomplished.

If you haven't watched it, watch it.

It's clear that his Asberger's is a "help". No pesky human emotions clouding up his head. It's an amazing doc, for sure, and I won't even pretend to get what drives people to do something like that; but, like you said, that's what they want to do, so it's almost not even a tragedy when they fall. I think it was much more traumatic for the guys watching and filming.

It's clear that his Asberger's is a "help". No pesky human emotions clouding up his head. It's an amazing doc, for sure, and I won't even pretend to get what drives people to do something like that; but, like you said, that's what they want to do, so it's almost not even a tragedy when they fall. I think it was much more traumatic for the guys watching and filming.
Asperger's is no longer really a thing that's defined professionally I don't think, at least not by psychoanalysts/psychiatrists...it's more that people with something that was once called "Asperger's" is now considered something that's on the "autism spectrum." I think there's different interpretations, but it's been popular in psychoanalysis to eliminate the term "Asperger's." I'm aware of this because "Asperger's" is probably something that I would be diagnosed with if it were something that were still popular to diagnose.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom