Free Windows 10 Upgrade (1 Viewer)

Semper

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So there is an icon on the bottom right corner of my screen that says I have a free upgrade for Windows 10. Is this a virus?

I'm still running Windows 7 actually. I have the new Office also.

It's only free for a year.

you should only do it if you want to break all of your programs and features. I'd wait until it is vetted by other users who want to deal with fixing everything that can go wrong. Nothing like being the first to upgrade to the newest OS when all it does it break everything.

It's legit and it's real.
The reason they are giving it away for free is an attempt to get everyone caught up onto the same OS instead of separated over half a dozen different windows versions.

14% of users are still on XP. Windows 7 still has a 60% use rate. Windows 8 and 8.1 only have like 16%.

And since Microsoft is putting a lot of work into their apps and app store having only 16% of users even able to access it sucks for them.

So they offer Windows 10 for free. Hope to get a lot users to upgrade and on the same page.

I've been using the technical release.
I love it. I didn't hate Windows 8 after 8.1, but the new start menu in 10 is so much better.
Unlike 8 I find myself actually using it. in 8 and 8.1 I stayed in desktop mode 99.9% of the time, so I like how they cut that out.

Treating Apps as windows is another huge improvement. I didn't use many apps because I hated how they acted on my desktop.

But even if all of that was crap, the super easy virtual desktops would make it worth it on its on. With Windows 10 you can have multiple desktops running with different programs and apps going and switch easily between them. So I might have 1 desktop open with all my work related stuff open. When I get bored or done with that I can switch to another desktop with my fun stuff like saints news or games. And then I can switch to a third desktop that might have my house related budget stuff up before switching back to work.

Yes. It is an attempt to force you into using their pay subscription fees to use their products model. They made 7 just the way I like it and will use it until they no longer support it. Or until convinced 10 isn't what I believe it to be.

KB3035583 is supposedly what enabled that notification, for any other admin types out there. We blocked it instead of having to deal with that impending nightmare next month.

Thank you for asking this question. I got the same thing and had no clue what to do. I am on Windows 7 also and am just fine with it. So how do I get rid of the notification?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom