French Fries! (1 Viewer)

"The French fried potato has become an inescapable horror in almost every public eating place in the country. ‘French fries,’ say the menus, but they are not French fries any longer. They are a furry-textured substance with the taste of plastic wood."--Russell Baker

due to the lack of bacon, cheese, and ranch dressing, the title of "perfect french fries" has been stripped from these.....they shall now be referred to only as "good but could be better french fries"
The recipe was for how to cook the potatoes. I don't think a recipe is needed for toppings.

>>When ready to serve the French fries, reheat the oil to 350 degrees F. Transfer the blanched potatoes to the hot oil and fry again, stirring frequently, until golden brown and puffed, about 1 minute. Transfer to paper lined platter and sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.

They do an astoundingly good job of those at Antoine's. Luckily, I'll be at a big $ party there next Friday and should get my hands on a few between cocktails. :rock: Puffed out fries are the bomb (when salted properly).

TPS

I use Mayonaise instead of Ketchup. I picked it up in Holland.

Me too on the mayo. I picked it up in Oz. But there they call it Pomme Fritz Sauce. -Jules

Arby's Curly Fries are the Bomb. Also love Rally's. And Chick-fil-a Waffle Fries are awesome when they're hot. -Rob and Jules

edit: Um, I think that's supposed to be Frittes, not Fritz (the Cat). :)

Last edited:
OMG! How could I forget? I LOVE the ones with bits of potato skin left on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -Jules

BTW, anyone ever had the Chili Cheese Fries at F&M's? Normally I'm not a fan of CCF's but theirs made me a believer.

The fries from Island's restaurant are by far the best fries ever. I challenge anyone who has tried them to find a finer french fry.

http://www.islandsrestaurants.com/

islandsfries.jpg

Last edited:
The fries from Island's restaurant are by far the best fries ever. I challenge anyone who has tried them to find a finer french fry.

islandsfries.jpg

Had 'em.
Many times.
They are ok, definitely not the best.

Some of the best I've had don't exist anymore.
Eagle Rock (near Pasadena). The Bucket.
Steak fries covered with this garlic mushroom gravy, then pounded with garlic powder.
Julio ruled all.

http://billearl.blogspot.com/2006_07_01_billearl_archive.html

"I draw your attention to Julio at The Bucket on Eagle Rock Blvd. The Basque lunatic would scream at all the (customers.) Julio showered everyone with insults. If you had the nerve to sit at the counter, he might whack the counter with his machete so hard the plates and glasses would fly up in the air. If he liked a lady, he's whack her date on the head with a squeaky squeeze-toy plastic novelty mallet he kept next to the machete. Julio and The Bucket were legendary. One did not dare incur his wrath by asking for fries without sauce."

Had 'em.
Many times.
They are ok, definitely not the best.

Some of the best I've had don't exist anymore.
Eagle Rock (near Pasadena). The Bucket.
Steak fries covered with this garlic mushroom gravy, then pounded with garlic powder.
Julio ruled all.

http://billearl.blogspot.com/2006_07_01_billearl_archive.html

I think we are getting hung up on toppings again...

I'm talking about the integrity of the fry itself. Islands potatoes are not cut until you order them. Can't get any fresher, good oil used, some skin left on, nicely seasoned.

The perfect fry.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom