French Open anyone? (1 Viewer)

I had to look that up.

Ok, at this point, it’s simply a difference of opinion.. my opinion is that there are two very simple choices- abide by the contract, play the matches and do the press conferences.. or choose not to not do press, and dont play the matches- absolutely NO ONE is forcing anyone to play, or live up to the contract... Life is full of complexities at times, but this particular case is not one of those times.. Again, though, i will not try to ‘persuade’ you to my way of thinking any further since in the grand scheme, it doesnt matter.

If it's not fine with her sponsors, such as Nike, Beats by Dre, MasterCard, BodyArmour, Nippon Air, Nissan, Yonex, Louis Vuitton, Tag Heuer and others, which pay her a combined $34 Million/year, then she shouldn't get paid if it's in her sponsorship contracts.

When she does the interviews, these companies expect to see their logos broadcast throughout the globe.

There is precedent that has been set:

In other news, Tulane grad Dom Koepfer starts his tourney. He gets a pretty favorable draw although I have no idea how he plays on clay.
He opens vs a Wildcard frenchman. If he wins, he likely gets Taylor Fritz, an American who has never advanced past the 3rd round of a major. Beat Fritz and he gets Federer whose worst surface is clay. Beat Federer and he wouldn't get anyone higher seeded than 9th. Win that and get Djokovic

Last edited:
In other news, Tulane grad Dom Koepfer starts his tourney. He gets a pretty favorable draw although I have no idea how he plays on clay.
He opens vs a Wildcard frenchman. If he wins, he likely gets Taylor Fritz, an American who has never advanced past the 3rd round of a major. Beat Fritz and he gets Federer whose worst surface is clay. Beat Federer and he wouldn't get anyone higher seeded than 9th. Win that and get Djokovic

I was yesterday years old when i learned that Taylor Fritz is the highest ranked American male in the world- but at only #35... ive been following his career for a few years and thought for a while that he might be our next American male tennis hope, to maybe recapture the magic of a Sampras or Jimmy Connors - but i am not sure he has it in him.. after that, it’s older players mostly, like Isner who i believe is around #37.

Also, i love the drama of this year’s French Open since Nadal and Fed are tied with 20 grand slams each- and one could go on to be the all-time leader after next week.. but I’m bummed that if they face each other, it will be in an earlier round, just becuase of the draw- and they wont have a chance to meet in the final.

Osaka has withdrawn.

The right call.. should have been a super duper easy, binary choice... GO TAKE CARE OF YOUR MENTAL HEALTH... that is far and away the #1 priority, not playing silly tennis matches.
Good for her, granted, it woulda been kinda funny had she pulled a Marshawn Lynch and answered each question with the, "I'm just here so I don't get fined," line...

Good for her, granted, it woulda been kinda funny had she pulled a Marshawn Lynch and answered each question with the, "I'm just here so I don't get fined," line...

Yeah, the more coverage i see and read on Tennis Channel and other places, the more unfortunate it seems that people are polarized and want you to pick a side.. either you’re with Osaka, or you’re with ’Big Tennis’ or whatever... I am on the side of mental health.. i see people complain that she’s a prima donna who’s using mental health as an ‘excuse’.. or on the other side, people that say she should be allowed to do whatever she wants, and that anyone who disagrees with the way she conducts things is ‘bullying’ her.. i cannot get on board with either of those POVs, i can only get on board with mental health.. gosh it’s lonely in the middle sometimes.

Yeah, the more coverage i see and read on Tennis Channel and other places, the more unfortunate it seems that people are polarized and want you to pick a side.. either you’re with Osaka, or you’re with ’Big Tennis’ or whatever... I am on the side of mental health.. i see people complain that she’s a prima donna who’s using mental health as an ‘excuse’.. or on the other side, people that say she should be allowed to do whatever she wants, and that anyone who disagrees with the way she conducts things is ‘bullying’ her.. i cannot get on board with either of those POVs, i can only get on board with mental health.. gosh it’s lonely in the middle sometimes.
You entered the discussion by trivialising the notion that mental health is complex and that someone who might struggle to do one thing could do a different thing, calling it 'entitlement', said you couldn't understand and asked for help understanding it, had that help offered, refused to understand it, and now you're applauding that someone who wanted to play tennis withdrew under the threat of expulsion if they didn't take part in the fundamentally unnecessary media interviews they didn't feel able to do.

I appreciate you may think you're on the side of mental health here, but you're really, really, not.

Of course it's polarized because everything today is. And I know that personally I'd be overwhelmed also with all the pressures and responsibilities that come with that amount of success. But I also know that that's what comes with it. I'm not sure if she doesn't or if this is something more serious than that. But $35 million will pay for a lot of therapy and sports psychologists.

You entered the discussion by trivialising the notion that mental health is complex and that someone who might struggle to do one thing could do a different thing, calling it 'entitlement', said you couldn't understand and asked for help understanding it, had that help offered, refused to understand it, and now you're applauding that someone who wanted to play tennis withdrew under the threat of expulsion if they didn't take part in the fundamentally unnecessary media interviews they didn't feel able to do.

I appreciate you may think you're on the side of mental health here, but you're really, really, not.

i NEVER called her ‘entitiled’.. i said i ‘leaned’ more toward entitlement than empowerment.. besides, isnt a person allowed to evolve as more facts come in, in order to develop a nuanced, informed stance?? Jesus dude, you need to seek a higher level.

ETA: I actually speak as someone who has had mental health issues affect my own family.. so dont tell me what I THINK i know about mental health.

i NEVER called her ‘entitiled’.. i said i ‘leaned’ more toward entitlement than empowerment.. besides, isnt a person allowed to evolve as more facts come in, in order to develop a nuanced, informed stance?? Jesus dude, you need to seek a higher level.

ETA: I actually speak as someone who has had mental health issues affect my own family.. so dont tell me what I THINK i know about mental health.
I said you "called it entitlement." I'm going solely off what you've posted here. Same goes for my perception of what you think you know about mental health.

As for seeking a higher level, maybe developing a deeper understanding of the issues involved, and thinking about why things are the way they are and whether that's actually good or bad, as opposed to trivialising mental health to a "Well, if you can't do interviews you can't play tennis, IT'S JUST THAT SIMPLE," and going "the contract is the contract," yes, that'd be great, if you could start doing that, that'd be wonderful.

I said you "called it entitlement." I'm going solely off what you've posted here. Same goes for my perception of what you think you know about mental health.

As for seeking a higher level, maybe developing a deeper understanding of the issues involved, and thinking about why things are the way they are and whether that's actually good or bad, as opposed to trivialising mental health to a "Well, if you can't do interviews you can't play tennis, IT'S JUST THAT SIMPLE," and going "the contract is the contract," yes, that'd be great, if you could start doing that, that'd be wonderful.

By all means, dont let the facts, or what i actually posted, affect your narrative.

I’ve made whatever points or statements i want to make, i think I’m clear as to where my best interests lie (mental health)- so there’s no need to elaborate any more.. Have a good evening, or morning wherever you are , thanks for engaging, and I’ll let you have the last retort.

By all means, dont let the facts, or what i actually posted, affect your narrative.

I’ve made whatever points or statements i want to make, i think I’m clear as to where my best interests lie (mental health)- so there’s no need to elaborate any more.. Have a good evening, or morning wherever you are , thanks for engaging, and I’ll let you have the last retort.
That you're thinking of this in terms of retorts underlines the problem. I appreciate your request for help understanding may have been rhetorical, but even so, you don't seem to have any genuine interest in it; for example, to this point you still haven't acknowledged that someone can be fine doing one thing, even if generally thought of as stressful, while simultaneously being unable to do another, different, thing, due to mental health, and incorporated that into your thinking. And that's pretty fundamental to an understanding of mental health.

Because treating people experiencing mental health issues as completely disabled and preventing them from carrying out activities they would otherwise like to do, because of that kind of perception, and because of dysfunctional relationships between the media and sports organisations, is not supporting mental health. Developing a deeper understanding of what they're going through, and questioning whether the structures that are preventing them from carrying on their normal activities by enforcing unnecessary ones under threat of expulsion are appropriate, that is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom