French Quarter Website (Old Pics) w/ Trivia (1 Viewer)

RKNSaint

Vaxxed; 2x Pfizer
Reaction score
https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/...past/289-8f8b7741-1c4c-4415-a506-c16c9492cbdb

It’s only 13 blocks long and six blocks deep, but the French Quarter has countless stories. And now many of them are available with the click of a mouse.

The non-profit Vieux Carre Commission Foundation has launched the Vieux Carré Virtual Library, found at vieuxcarre.nola.gov, a new website that catalogs tens of thousands of images and documents for the nearly 4,000 structures in the city’s oldest and most famous neighborhood.

Anyone recognize what this is now? HInt (taken from their website): Was built in 1791 as a private home and later became the first Spanish Theatre in the United States. It was converted back to a private residence until 1942, when (trivia question) purchased the spacious place to become home to one of the most iconic nightclubs in the United States.

I_2_061_031.jpg

I think Pat O’s has been there since the 1930s. Not sure if it was always same building.

Pres. Hall sort of looks like that - though I rarely pay attention in the daylight.

I think Pat O’s has been there since the 1930s. Not sure if it was always same building.

Pres. Hall sort of looks like that - though I rarely pay attention in the daylight.

Close. Per their site. The photo I attached is likely pre Pat O's and dated 1940's.

Pat O’Brien ran a speakeasy in the 600 block of St. Peter street in New Orleans’ French Quarter, until the repeal of Prohibition.
When he officially opened the bar on December 3, 1933. He developed a friendship with Charlie Cantrell and after many years of fun and lots of poker games, the two men purchased the building that is now home to Pat O’Brien’s Bar at 718 St Peter street. This Historical Building was built in 1791 as a private home and later became the first Spanish Theatre in the United States. It was converted back to a private residence until 1942, when O’Brien and Cantrell purchased the spacious place to become home to one of the most iconic nightclubs in the United States. The old bar had an upright piano to entertain, but 718 St Peter allowed them to go bigger and better with two baby grand pianos … and dueling piano entertainment was born!

The Courtyard (as a private residence?)

I_2_061_032.jpg

Last edited:
726 St Peter (Present Day Preservation Hall)

This photo is ca 1900.

724-726 St. Peter St.
Square: 61 Lot Number: 18670

Vieux Carré Commission Evaluation:
No change: main and service -- blue; additions at both ends of the service building -- brown. This classic Creole style 2-story masonry building with porte-cochere entrance, wrought iron balcony and detached 2-story service building perhaps was designed and built c. 1816 by Gurlie and Guillot, who bought the lot "with bricks and ruins" in 1816 and in 1817 sold the property for a significant amount. In the 20th century this building, which was formerly known as Faisendieu's Posada or Tavern was the site of "Pops" Whitesell's studio.

I061N1179.jpg

So cool to look through the title history on some of those properties.

Looking at Antoines, back in 1730 it says it sold to “the king of France”. Lol. No name or anything. Just “the king of france”

Cool

Looking at Antoines, back in 1730 it says it sold to “the king of France”. Lol. No name or anything. Just “the king of france”

Cool
Yeah I can get lost in that site for hours.

Reading back thru the Antoins site title history it seems on that lot were baracks and forges, then passed thru the King of France. Then maybe a fire destroyed it all. In 1868 is when it became Antoins (per their site). And here is the record. Too cool. Rented it for 3 years at $200/month (edit - maybe that was the previous occupant) before buying it (maybe 1874?). Looks like it still traces to Alciatores in a trust.

Thursday, August 20th 1868
Record Source: COB
Volume: 95
Page: 326
Record Type: [sale?]
Authority: A. Dreyfous (Notary)
Authority Date: Not Given

From: Marie Cecile Adele Miltenberger To: Antoine Alciatore
Brief Description: Original Act: 20/54 The property is rented to Ernest Haistre, according to lease granted by Jules Blineau by an act of C. V. Foulon, N.P., January 3, 1868 for the term of three years, at $200 per month.

20190112_115852.jpg
These are my parents. As you can see by my mother's caption, this photo was taken at Pat O's in 1945 just before they married. My dad had just returned from the South Pacific.

Cool
is cool, but i guess it makes sense - since the king, in essence is france, it would be the monarchy (and not the person) who owned whatever

20190112_115852.jpg
These are my parents. As you can see by my mother's caption, this photo was taken at Pat O's in 1945 just before they married. My dad had just returned from the South Pacific.

I would love to hear any stories that you would have to tell.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom