Freshmen female college athletes in hot water after making "I can't breathe" video (2 Viewers)

What an odd, unnecessary way to ruin future plans. They are young enough to where somewhere down the road they will be able to hang their hats on youthful stupidity........but for the time being, they've basically wrecked the car before its first oil change.

If not for the 'I can't breathe' part of the title, you have a really good sounding video.

I can guarantee you that when I was 18 or 19, I had a knee on a friend's upper chest area and joked that he couldn't breathe. Seems pretty common play - I'm just saying if you're going to sanction somebody, there needs to be more than 'they know what they're doing."

I'm willing to give these two the benefit of the doubt because like you said she's on her chest and not on her neck the timing of putting that video up however is extremely tone deaf. Also it doesn't help when you have morons like this going around:

I can't see being *this* punitive. I don't know anything about her, but speaking without that context, I would say that this could be an opportunity to engage the young lady. Talk. See about asking her to maybe join groups, be an advocate.

Maybe they did and she wanted no part of it.

But I would opt to keeping options on the table for kids and letting them learn from mistakes - dumb, tone deaf, public ones - but I think the harm that comes from her actions would/could easily be offset from positives of working with her.

Now, I can see a lot of animosity and if she's an athlete of this caliber, chances are she has a wide circle of peers and friends and adults around. And, as a good athlete, she probably has people who look up to her.

So if she leaves the school, angry and upset and resentful because of "PC culture run amok" and spreads that message, that's only magnifying - imo - the reason this comment was insensitive and troubling in the first place.

Maybe it's my bias - but I've seen a lot of kids who had their lives upended and I'd rather save that sort of thing for more extreme cases.

I thought this was going to involve a NSFW hot tub but I forgot about the TOS.

I thought this was going to involve a NSFW hot tub but I forgot about the TOS.

tenor.gif

Young people do stupid things without fully thinking about the consequences. Sometimes they do stupid things because they think they are funny (to them) without fully thinking about the consequences. Those girls were fully free to do these things without fear of reprisal for doing them. When they decided to share it with the world, they were no longer free from the consequences of doing what they did. Unfortunately, even some of the littlest things that people would think are inconsequential do have real-world consequences.

Imagine two teens on a plane after 9/11 making jokes with each other referencing how terrorist scream before they suicide bomb. Someone here's them and reports it. That creates a situation that wasn't the intent of the two teens joking around with it other. It's a stretch of an example but it illustrates how young folks don't think about their actions....especially about posting their actions for the world to see.

Now, imagine that those two girls are on campus and someone who saw the video and took offense to what they were doing and attacked them for it. Sure, the girls wouldn't deserve to be attacked and the people doing the attack would clearly be in the wrong but that situation wouldn't exist if the video hadn't been posted for the world to see.

Moral of the story is if you want to do stupid things that might not be found to be funny to others, by all means do them. Just don't post it to social media and expect for everything to be hunky dory after. It's a tough lesson to learn at an early age.

My kids get tired of hearing me say "think about the consequences of all of your actions." I explain to them that I understand and I did a lot of the things they do. The difference is that I didn't tell the world I did them.

The may be more video that shows before or after that clip that can help to provide more context.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom