Friday Seafood report (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I was craving an Oyster poboy last night and wanted to go somewhere I had never been. I had read ratings as recently as a year ago that all said Bozo's in Metairie was at least top 5 so I went there. Big mistake. I cannot speak to how the place used to be and I did not try any on the Half shell but the rest of the food was so meh. The red beans and rice tasted like they had been boiled without any seasoning. The Oysters were done in course cornmeal only and the cornmeal was not seasoned. Most places do a mix of cornmeal and a special flour.

Tasteless IMO and I would not say that about many places. They have been compared to the best. They should not even be said in the same breath as Casamentos. Worst part is I drove right past Koz' to get there.

Anyone else have similar experience here or elsewhere? Good experiences welcome too.

Every time I have been to Bozo's, it has been very good. Nothing spectacular, but consistently very good.

Bozo's has gone downhill a bit, but I've never liked the way they fry their oysters. I much prefer a flour batter to cornmeal.

I stick to raw oysters, gumbo occasionally and catfish at Bozo's.

Bozo's has gone downhill a bit, but I've never liked the way they fry their oysters. I much prefer a flour batter to cornmeal.

I stick to raw oysters, gumbo occasionally and catfish at Bozo's.

yes, I would have probably liked the catfish as I prefer it in the cornmeal only.

I love shortstop. And you know this. Man.

But Bozos is way better than shortstop.

I am not a fan of Bozo's fried oysters either. Catfish is pretty good, but I avoid the fried oysters there. The catfish seem to use a flour / corn meal mix, while the oysters are done in corn meal only. Overall, it's not my favorite place.

I want a Acme Chargriller Po Boy. I know they did not have one on the menu but dang would that be awesome....

Bozo's seafood restaurant shuts down in Metairie | NOLA.com

In recent years, the restaurant has been run by owners Mark Fayard and his wife, Susan S. Martinsen, who have been involved with the business since Chris "Bozo" Vodanovich retired and sold the restaurant in 2008.

Vodanovich and his family still own the building at 3117 21st St. in Metairie, where the seafood house moved in 1979. The family recently served an eviction notice to Bozo's LLC, Martinsen's company, for unpaid rent and other issues, said Thomas Gremillion, Vodanovich’s stepson.

everything is clear now. Someone else took over and crashed the joint. It was really bad and half empty on a Friday during Lent.

Irony alert, I watched 'Burger Land' on Travel Channel last night, and the episode was in NOLA, so one of the 4 places he ate at was Bozo's for a hamburger po-boy. I grew up in Metry and hadn't heard of Bozo's till said episode.

I had heard of them but not associated with anything but seafood so yea. Maybe I should have gotten hamburger.

Ah, no wonder.

I have heard good things about Fury's but have never made it there. Is it worth it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom