Fried Onion Rings thread! (1 Viewer)

Also relevant to this discussion - the "onion mum" or "Bloomin Onion" (in Outback-speak). A fine variation on the fried onion concept. They can be a little greasy, but still very nice.

Although, I'm not sure where you can currently get one (other than Outback). The last one I had was at a Zephyr's game.
As far as I know you can still get it at Copeland's.

I went to Walk On’s tonight. It’s like a sports themed AppleBee’s . Anyway the rings were not bad at all. You can substitute it for fries if you order a burger.

The best onion rings I ever had we're in Jefferson. Alonzo & Sons on central. Ain't there no more. Thin and crispy. But after years of eating there, I noticed the mounted deer rear on the wall and thought it was funny. Then one day I noticed it was staring at me with his big brown eye. They did put a glass eye in the deers butt.
Now I don't hunt and wouldn't want a deer head in my house, but I've always wanted one like that.

I’m a fan of thin and crispy or shoestring style. With that said, company burger has legit rings, so does Parrans on Prytania. Mahoneys PO boys too.

Was going to recommend Charlie's for their onion "brick" but I believe they are closed until further notice.

You looking for "bar food" or onion rings to accompany a meal?

Liuzza's are/were pretty good (not sure if they're still hanging on), as are the offerings at The Company Burger. Katie's (from what I remember) are also quite good. Been far too long since I've been home.
I've got some great news, Charlie's is reopening under new management including my friend Ryan Dwyer who is the brother of the late Matthew Dwyer, the former owner (I posted about losing my friend and fraternity brother back in June).

I've got some great news, Charlie's is reopening under new management including my friend Ryan Dwyer who is the brother of the late Matthew Dwyer, the former owner (I posted about losing my friend and fraternity brother back in June).

That's the best local news of 2020. I am a fan of Charlies, Aaron Burgau/Patois and McClures. Can't wait.

Ryan is a kick. I used to hang out with him and Matt at Madigan's when I was in college. All the girls loved Ryan and his South African accent... still not sure it was real. Anyway, I'm very happy he's carrying on for Matt. I know he and Glenn will do the place proud.

Ryan is a kick. I used to hang out with him and Matt at Madigan's when I was in college. All the girls loved Ryan and his South African accent... still not sure it was real. Anyway, I'm very happy he's carrying on for Matt. I know he and Glenn will do the place proud.
Yeah he is. Dude used to walk around with his crazy long hair and Elvis shades. He took it to 11 when we'd do Drunken Santas. It's crazy to see him now as a father of 2 girls, but he's married to a wonderful woman and doing well.

Mad's was my college bar as well, my fraternity basically lived there (I did a short stint as a bouncer), Matt was also a member of it a few yrs before me, and we made Bill the bar manager an honorary member.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom