Food Fried rice (1 Viewer)

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I'm making shrimp fried rice tomorrow for dinner(fried rice is my latest obsession, move over onion soup!) and I wanted to know anyone thinks I should add bell pepper to it? I'm thinking of adding it at the end.

OP
OP
Scorpius the Allfather

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Take this with a grain of salt because I'm allergic to shrimp but I feel like the bbq shrimp would be a better culinary improvisation than the bell pepper.
I think I would agree. I'm just not sure if thyme and crab boil with maybe some worcestershire would work with soy and oyster sauce.

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My girlfriend makes a rice they made in Colombia with pasta. You break up angel hair pasta in about inch lengths and fry it. Then you cook that into basmati rice with onions. It’s actually quite addictive. The crunch your looking for made me think of it. So crunchy works well in rice. I’m just not certain about fried rice.

OP
OP
Scorpius the Allfather

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend makes a rice they made in Colombia with pasta. You break up angel hair pasta in about inch lengths and fry it. Then you cook that into basmati rice with onions. It’s actually quite addictive. The crunch your looking for made me think of it. So crunchy works well in rice. I’m just not certain about fried rice.
I'm not necessarily looking for a crunch component but I'm not opposed to it. I kind of want the onions to not cook as long and get it from them.

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think I would agree. I'm just not sure if thyme and crab boil with maybe some worcestershire would work with soy and oyster sauce.
i could see it working if you cut way down on the crab boil and possibly cut out the soy all together. I’ve seen people screw up fried rice too often by too much salt. It can always be added at the table.

OP
OP
Scorpius the Allfather

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
i could see it working if you cut way down on the crab boil and possibly cut out the soy all together. I’ve seen people screw up fried rice too often by too much salt. It can always be added at the table.
I'm talking a capfull of crab boil, that's probably 1/4 teaspoon, kind of hard to use less than that. Also I don't use too much salt but I see what you mean. Maybe 3 tablespoons of soy sauce instead of 4? I feel like you need it because it helps give it that color.

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure I should add milk to the eggs if I'm using them for fried rice. Should I? I'm not sure if they should be fluffier when combined with the fried rice.
Everything I know about making fried rice, I learned at the Japanese steak house. They just crack the egg on the cooking surface - no milk.

OP
OP
Scorpius the Allfather

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Everything I know about making fried rice, I learned at the Japanese steak house. They just crack the egg on the cooking surface - no milk.
I've watched videos on making fried rice and that's how they do it but I can't fathom not adding some more flavor to those eggs like black pepper. It's worked for me so far.

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've watched videos on making fried rice and that's how they do it but I can't fathom not adding some more flavor to those eggs like black pepper. It's worked for me so far.
are you using rice that is either left over or cooked the day before? I kind of remember this being important ( to dehydrate maybe?)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I add black pepper and garlic power to fried rice. And soy, of course.

OP
OP
Scorpius the Allfather

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I add black pepper and garlic power to fried rice. And soy, of course.
What about onions and carrots? I did carrots for the first time when I made crawfish fried rice and I liked it but I'm not sure if it's something to use all the time. I'm definitely using onions every time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DerrickB Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 47

Headlines

Top Bottom